Have sellers noticed a rise in buyer fraud recently

Have sellers noticed a rise in buyer fraud recently, I have had to issue a bunch of refunds from buyers saying they didn't get their item. Its hard to prove because to have tracking from Canada to US is expensive and to the rest of the world isn't available to most countries. I have started taking pictures of the parcels with the postage stamp date visible. Not sure if that will help when a case is opened. I had a buyer request to return a CD for a similar one, I agreed and sent out the CD and they said they would return the original CD at my cost. They never returned the CD, I have the emails from the buyer saying he received the  replacement CD and  would ship and then saying he wouldn't when I contacted him again. There is apparently nothing Ebay or Paypal can do. I guess I have learned not trust anyone.

EBAY NEEDS TO LET SELLERS LEAVE NEGATIVE FEEDBACK. 

Message 1 of 24
latest reply
23 REPLIES 23

Re: Have sellers noticed a rise in buyer fraud recently

What happened to good ol' days when we could sell without constantly looking over our shoulders? 

They never existed.

Cheques bounce.

Western Union money orders quickly became the source of an email scam.

Sellers claimed that 'concealed cash' envelopes were empty.

Billpoint and later Paypal had INR and NAD claims, some fraudulent.

Pickup only sellers have been mugged. Pickup only buyers have been mugged.

Most people are honest. Not all transactions will go perfectly.

How many problems have you had per 100 transactions? Per 1000 transactions?

Message 21 of 24
latest reply

I don't have 1000 transactions, only a bit over 500.  I used to accept Paypal, concealed cash, post office money orders, local pick-up, even some electronic wallet that I can't remember the name. Other than a few deadbeat buyers who refused to pay up most of my transactions went very smoothly.  My prime time was between 2003 and 2004.  I guess the generation has changed.  

Message 22 of 24
latest reply

@althetrainer wrote:

I don't have 1000 transactions, only a bit over 500.  I used to accept Paypal, concealed cash, post office money orders, local pick-up, even some electronic wallet that I can't remember the name. Other than a few deadbeat buyers who refused to pay up most of my transactions went very smoothly.  My prime time was between 2003 and 2004.  I guess the generation has changed.  

Hyperwallet if I remember correctly.

Message 23 of 24
latest reply

Other than a few deadbeat buyers who refused to pay up most of my transactions went very smoothly

It still works exactly that way for most of us here. I wasn't here in 2003/2004 but I know that things have changed a lot on ebay since 2007. I mean the rules of the site have changed a lot...but the people are basically the same and the majority are honest. I do think that some categories probably have a higher rate of problems buyers but I don't think that the item you sold is in that category.

Message 24 of 24
latest reply