Have you ever been betrayed by a ebay seller.I know I have

In early May of 2014 I bought a lot of jersey hockey cards from a seller on ebay.This seller accepted my offer and I sent him payment by paypal and within 2 weeks I had my cards with no problems.

Shortly afterwards this seller emailed me outside ebay with an unbelievable offer on a large lot of hockey cards.

I know we are not supposed to do this and I never did before but the offer was so good that I agreed to it. Little did I know that I was being set up to take a large fall.This guy sweet talked me into the deal and reluctantly I sent him $1000.00 on his word that the cards would be sent quickly.One month went by,then 60 days went by...All this time he was emailing me asking if I had my cards and if not to be patient.I asked several times for the tracking number but each time I did he would say that he was always checking it and for me not to worry.Iam a very trusting person and it never occurred to me to open a paypal dispute.He made sure that time expired and so did his emails to me.No more communication and paypal cannot do anything after 60 days.

Iam not one to complain but people have to be aware of this person.He is dishonest and has NO FEELINGS OR COMPASSION

I hope that he chokes on my money and bad luck follows him forever.

BE AWARE OF HIM.

Message 1 of 19
latest reply
18 REPLIES 18

That was not very nice of him. Gives other sellers a bad name. You can't contact the credit card company directly and try to get your money back? I wish they would not edit the name. I would like to know who it is.

Message 2 of 19
latest reply

He is selling on ebay.One of his item #s is .

Thankyou for your support.In this situation people should know the name of the seller.Ebay will not publish it.

All the best.

Message 3 of 19
latest reply

Did you pay through a credit card? If you went through paypal and the money was taken out of your credit card, you can still call your credit card company and get them to do a charge back for undelivered purchases. Paypal is only a go between.

Message 4 of 19
latest reply

Also, even though you accepted his offer out of the ebay website which was a no-no to stay fully protected, he (the seller) still contacted you first by email to sell out of Ebay with an enticing offer. He should also be reported and if you have the email he sent to you, this is your proof. Just saying.

Message 5 of 19
latest reply

" he (the seller) still contacted you first by email to sell out of Ebay with an enticing offer. He should also be reported and if you have the email he sent to you, this is your proof. Just saying."

Just saying .... what exactly?

There is nothing wrong, no infraction whatsoever, in a seller contacting a customer (who may have previously purchased on eBay or elsewhere, it is irrelevant) to make an offer to sell something not listed on eBay.

So, what exactly do you want the original poster to "report"?

The way I see it, it is a commercial transaction between a willing buyer and a willing seller, made outside eBay and eBay has nothing to do with it. Since the transaction is no longer covered by PayPal protection (more than 45 days from date of payment) the buyer has two options to recover the payment made to the American seller:

1) file a chargeback through the credit card issuer if a credit card was used to pay for the purchase through PayPal

2) file a claim in Small Claims Court.  However, since the seller is located in the USA it may be difficult to overcome the foreign jurisdiction problem.

Message 6 of 19
latest reply

"Shortly afterwards this seller emailed me outside ebay with an unbelievable offer on a large lot of hockey cards.

I know we are not supposed to do this and I never did before but the offer was so good that I agreed to it."

Just saying.....If you re-read the posters own words, this part above gave me the impression that these cards were in fact on the sellers listings and he wanted to sell them as a lot. How do you know these items were not listed?

Message 7 of 19
latest reply

In fairness to all, one can only report knowledge that can be evidenced, not assumptions or suppositions or "gut feelings".

There is NOTHING here to justify a claim of infraction to eBay rules.

There is nothing wrong in a seller contacting a buyer to offer goods for sale outside eBay if the item (lot) offered is not currently listed on eBay.

Life is too short to see problems where none exist.

Message 8 of 19
latest reply

I quite agree, "gut feelings" should never be considered as actual events. Just as assuming these were not actually pre-listed cards taken off to sell as one order. Only the poster knows this one.

Since this poster is a veteran seller/buyer and didn't feel right about this transaction, there is a very good chance that these were listings the actual seller previously listed.

Hopefully he can get his credit card company(if used) to retrieve his money.

Message 9 of 19
latest reply

I agree with Pierre here that what the seller did was not "Wrong" or "Bad" in terms of conducting the sale outside of eBay. I often have people who buy off me and then later send me a want list of movies they would like if I ever come across them. If / when I do come across a particular item that a previous buyer may be interested in I simply reply to there email and they pay via paypal.
Message 10 of 19
latest reply

I appreciate the imput you people have given me.

Unfortunatly My payment was taken from my bank account by paypal.

There is absolutely no way to retrieve my payment.I have telephoned paypal and the most that they can do is send him an email.

Good luck to that idea since he refuses to answer my emails.I send an email to him every day with no success.

I have been doing business on ebay since 1999 and this ordeal has really disheartened me.

Message 11 of 19
latest reply

Once again:

file a claim in Small Claims Court.  However, since the seller is located in the USA it may be difficult to overcome the foreign jurisdiction problem.

Message 12 of 19
latest reply

Not related to OP message but on a few recent threads, item numbers have been removed. Is this a new policy?

Message 13 of 19
latest reply

Not really a new policy but the monitors at Lithium have decided (or have been instructed by eBay) to eliminate any reference that may lead to the identification of the buyer or seller.

The current application of policies makes it nearly impossible for old timers with substantial eBay experience to help newcomers with questions or inquiries as we have lost most tools allowing us to investigate the background of a transaction.

Message 14 of 19
latest reply

Somehow that makes sense: the less you know, the less you ask...

Message 15 of 19
latest reply

Anonymous
Not applicable

To Pierre, I think it is wrong to say "it is not wrong...".  I knew many sellers who do that and got suspended, so be careful in saying that.  Anyone on eBay can reply to it? Kelvin? 

Message 16 of 19
latest reply

Just to make sure I am well understood, please allow me to repeat clearly:

There is nothing wrong in a seller contacting a buyer to offer goods for sale outside eBay if the item (lot) offered is not currently listed on eBay.

Life is too short to see problems where none exist.

Message 17 of 19
latest reply

ebay does not care

fact all ebay cares about is getting their fees for a transaction period

dont let ebay mods lie to you

they have a vested interest in protecting their revenues  and as such dont want the Scammers names known

buyers do not pay fees to ebay so in all cases its buyer beware

they edit the names of scam sellers to protect future ebay revenues period

the sooner ebay buyers realize this the better of they will be

Message 18 of 19
latest reply

keeeebs
Community Member

I've had the same problem. Luckily I paid PAYPAL with VISA and their policy has way better coverages. As PAYPAL is just a collection service they are useless. Besides that if the seller does a lot of business they tend to side with the seller. VISA goes directly to the seller and freezes their ability to do anything. Case closed until they cough up or buck up. I've also noticed when I set my PAYPAL account to pay by VISA as default payment method, PAYPAL always switches it back to directly withdraw from my bank account. THat **bleep**ing **bleep** me off to the ENTH degree. Lousy **bleep**ers can

Message 19 of 19
latest reply