Heads Up Sellers-See this message

Well, it seems Money Back Guarantee is a done deal on eBay.ca.  We sellers had better pull up our socks and be prepared -- and not be surprised if returns/refunds increase.  I think what I object to most is the breezy tone of this announcement.  It will not make selling easier, quite the opposite. 

Here's the text of the email I received today from eBay, for those who hadn't noticed (or received it) yet: 

"With the holiday rush right around the corner, we announced a number of updates and improvements in the fall update that will make it easier and more efficient than ever to increase your sales and manage your business.

One of the announcements is that eBay Money Back Guarantee is coming to Canada, which will create a more consistent after-sale experience for buyers and sellers on eBay.ca.

When we first made the announcement in August, we let sellers know more information would be made available before eBay Money Back Guarantee was launched.

We are happy to bring you the full details—everything you need to know about eBay Money Back Guarantee—with plenty of time left to adjust. Remember, these changes only impact transactions when something doesn't go quite right, and for most sellers, that doesn't happen too often.

We have compiled a list of questions and answers that sellers have asked over the last several weeks to clarify how eBay Money Back Guarantee will affect sellers."

Message 1 of 16
latest reply
15 REPLIES 15

I am trying to find out what the dollar amount on Ebay is for signature required on INR claims. Any one know as it is almost impossible to search for

Message 2 of 16
latest reply

It was recently changed in the last few months to a much higher figure than previously, now $750 or $850.  Someone else might have the exact figure. 

Message 3 of 16
latest reply

I just want to know where to find it. Since Ebay is different than Paypal and will split in the future, the Money Back Guarantee becomes important and they have conveniently not made it easy to find the $ limit.

Message 4 of 16
latest reply

The part that bugs me the most you give the Buyer a refund instead of shipping the item back for lower price items and you still get a defect by doing the right thing. It will open the doors for all the scammers and it is legal. With CP Tracked rates bringing the item back you will lose more money. A small parcel  to OZ is 6.51and to get it returned by Tracked Mail will be in the 40.00/50.00 range and you still get a defect. It is almost like a Catch 22 situation

Message 5 of 16
latest reply

The ebay.com limit is the same as in Paypal - $750 U.S. so I would imagine that the figure here will be the same as in Paypal - $850 Cdn

But far as I can tell, the .ca pages haven't been updated so it's probably a good idea to check with the reps next Wednesday.

Message 6 of 16
latest reply

@lukey9 wrote:

The part that bugs me the most you give the Buyer a refund instead of shipping the item back for lower price items and you still get a defect by doing the right thing. It will open the doors for all the scammers and it is legal. With CP Tracked rates bringing the item back you will lose more money. A small parcel  to OZ is 6.51and to get it returned by Tracked Mail will be in the 40.00/50.00 range and you still get a defect. It is almost like a Catch 22 situation

There are definitely going to be cases when the item costs more to receive it back then when we sent it but an international buyer won't be using Canada Post to send back an item so the cost may be less than $40-$50 for an international package with delivery confirmation. But it will probably cost much more what we pay for light or small packet so it is going to be tough to know what to do in those situations. Hopefully, they won't happen too often.

Some ebay sites don't have the MBG so if the buyer purchased the item on those sites, they will probably have to file through the Paypal buyer protection which doesn't require the seller to pay for return shipping. I'm not positive, but as far as I know, if a site doesn't have the ebay MBG, then Paypal is the only option.

Getting a defect regardless of how we handle a problem is frustrating.  There are legitimate cases when a seller sends a buyer something that is nothing like the description and ebay seems to base all snad cases on that scenario even when that isn't the situation.

Message 7 of 16
latest reply

This sort of thing enrages Ebay sellers and is one reason why so many are drifting over to competing sites or starting their own websites in addition to selling on Ebay.

Some competing sites are growing exponentially because they don't treat their sellers like dirt.

Message 8 of 16
latest reply

The main difference between the ebay MBG program and Paypal Buyer Protection is that we will have to pay to have an item returned when the item is snad. I think that is more pro buyer than anti seller...a buyer shouldn't have to pay to return an item that wasn't as described. The reason we have these sort of new rules is because some sellers were taking advantage by sending  garbage items and hoping that buyers wouldn't bother to send them back because of the cost involved.

Yes, there are going to be buyers that take advantage of it but hopefully ebay will be paying more attention to these claims and weeding out the bad buyers. I don't know how likely that is but I'm going to wait and see what happens.

Plus, I believe that most buyers are honest and if we treat them fairly, they will treat us fairly. I had a buyer ask for a return today. He is in the U.S. and the item was listed on the .com site so he could have said the item was snad so that I had to pay for shipping.  But he was honest about why he wanted to return it so he will be paying for return shipping.

Message 9 of 16
latest reply

Besides changing the name there is nothing really new here at all. Sellers not paying return shipping on SNAD claims in the past should have never been allowed in the first place.

"What else could I do? I had no trade so I became a peddler" - Lazarus Greenberg 1915
- answering Trolls is voluntary, my policy is not to participate.
Message 10 of 16
latest reply

Cool. I expect increased sales for all sellers as this should help buyers feel more comfortable to spend money.

Message 11 of 16
latest reply

@theundercutter wrote:

Cool. I expect increased sales for all sellers as this should help buyers feel more comfortable to spend money.

Darn funny undercutter!

It's been quite awhile since I had to laugh out loud while perusing these boards.

Well done!

Message 12 of 16
latest reply

@recped wrote:

Besides changing the name there is nothing really new here at all. Sellers not paying return shipping on SNAD claims in the past should have never been allowed in the first place.

There are, in my view, some new details (in the fine print, as usual) that are very important for sellers to understand.  I also feel that the very change of name is highly significant. 

Calling it "Money Back Guarantee" may turn out to be an incentive to buyers, but sellers are going to have to make absolutely sure they come up to the mark.  The game is changing, and I think this name signals eBay's determination to make buying easier and appear risk-free (admittedly a good thing to attract buyers), while at the same time making selling more tenuous for smaller sellers through linking this programme to the defects system. 

The MBG will certainly have the effect of removing or restricting even more small sellers from eBay.  Some might say this is a good thing -- weed out those who can't cut it -- and I would agree, except for the preferential treatment of high volume sellers where the defect system is concerned.  Give us all 3 months to erase mistakes, and I might not be so worried about the way these programmes are constructed.

For example, from the "fine print": '...buyers can choose to go through either Paypal Purchase Protection or Money Back Guarantee to resolve a claim..." 

Paypal's window for claims is now 180 days (6 months).  This alters the buyer/seller relationship quite significantly, and is nowhere near the usual standard in retail returns/refunds. 

Here's another significant item: "When a buyer receives a refund under MBG, sellers will be required to reimburse eBay...This reimbursement will be debited from the seller's Paypal account or charged to the seller's monthly selling invoice." 

I interpret this to mean that the seller will often have no direct control over the refund process.  This raises the question of who the buyer will see as giving great service -- eBay or the seller?  With the MBG displayed up front on every listing (as I see it has been for a while on .com), what will the buyer think of first to resolve an issue?  Contact the seller to discuss the problem -- I doubt it.  Just click the MBG link.  And how will that translate in terms of DSRs, FB, etc.?  On the rare occasion when I've had to refund a buyer, I made sure to try to make a happy customer -- no, more precisely, a customer happy with my service -- every time, through direct communication.  Personally I see this MBG programme as just one more way eBay is taking control over the seller/buyer relationship away from individual sellers.

And this is why I say I object to the breezy, seller-friendly way eBay presents these things to us.  What the heck does this mean in the header to the MBG info page for sellers: "eBay Money Back Guarantee means sellers won't be losing potential buyers because someone else let them down".  What????

All I can do is laugh at the smoke and mirrors.  Why not just give us the honest bad news?  Sellers are going to have to be even more careful about precision in listings and photographs, and more concerned about international SNAD claims (as 'pj' pointed out).  It's true that sellers should have been obliged to pay return shipping on legitimate SNAD claims before now, but there are many other important changes in the MBG that will impact sellers in a variety of ways.  I'd suggest every seller read the Q&A page on the MBG thoroughly and carefully.

Yes, this is all good news, until the defects start to add up for smaller sellers.  Smiley Sad

Message 13 of 16
latest reply

Most buyers are honest buyers  but there will always be a small percentage that will take advantage of the situation if it is E-Bay or some other Auction site. I think the small sellers days are numbered on E-Bay as they don't have the voloume or sales to off set it.

It is a good/bad situation as it will get rid of the rip off sellers that should have gone long ago and the bad news it will  get rid of the small seller trying to sell the odd thing for a few extra dollars. It will not take the large companies long to sell the same itms off their owm web sites and eliminate the high selling fees on E-Bay. I myself don't look to E-Bay as with the Chinese sellers all selling the same bubble envelopes or tape at the same price. As a collector I'm looking for the one piece that will finish off my Collection and the big companies or Chinese sellers are not selling it so if I can't get that item on E-Bay I'll be checking the other Auction sites.

E-Bay was not build on new items it was build on items that are getting harder to find or just a good buy or odd ball

Message 14 of 16
latest reply

I agree with you Rose.

Message 15 of 16
latest reply

Thanks for the thorough review of this MGB program...

That is the MAIN why I will stop selling for few months starting next november 1st. The other reason I will also be on vacation for few weeks... 🙂

Hope that will not affect us (sellers) in a too negative way... 😉

Cheers,

Message 16 of 16
latest reply