Help! eBay not charging my customers tax since 03/09/2011

Hi everyone,

I am a seller on here for nearly two years, and starting with 2 sporadic days in August, and now since September 3rd, my customers are not getting charged sales tax.

I have checked and nothings been changed, I'm using the tax table which is set up. I contacted eBay and they said it's a known issue, and gave me a bug ticket number, as well as two service request numbers.

I have contacted them 8 times now by telephone, 3 manager callbacks in which only 1 I got on the phone cause I demanded to not have a callback, and a manager promise to get back to me within 24 hours, and it's now been over 96 hours.

I was honestly promised since September 5th callbacks within 24 hours, I have received none on 8 calls/requests. I was promised from each individual that the billing department was going to tally the total and get back to me with the total credit up to date, and have received nothing by email or by telephone. I was promised by each individual including the manager that I'd be credited in full, for all the sales tax that was not charged, as I am required to pay it to the government.

What do you guys suggest that I do and is anyone else having the same issue? This is getting to be ridiculous and my margins are quite small to the point of it not even being worth my time to sell if I am forced to pay these sales taxes out of pocket.

Please any useful advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks again,

Steve.

Message 1 of 2
latest reply
1 REPLY 1

Help! eBay not charging my customers tax since 03/09/2011

"Please any useful advice would be greatly appreciated"

Until eBay has fixed the bug, two solutions:

1) invoice the Canadian buyer, with the added tax if applicable, soon after the purchase is made

2) if the Canadian buyer pays before you have the opportunity to send an invoice with tax, send a second invoice through PayPal with the tax amount and a short explanaition that the tax was not added by eBay in error.

I also suggest you immediately revise all your current listings to include the fact taxes (GST/HST) are payable.  Your listings are quiet on the subject.

Message 2 of 2
latest reply