Hi, highest bid too low. Buyer paid for item through paypal, payment not cleared yet. What can I do?

tk..1
Community Member

I dont know what to do now. The higbest bid is lower than I intend to sell it.

Message 1 of 7
latest reply
6 REPLIES 6

Hi, highest bid too low. Buyer paid for item through paypal, payment not cleared yet. What can I do?

Hi tk..1.. You are committed to complete the sale just as the buyer is committed to pay.

Never list an auction at a price below the minimum you want for the item.

Its better to chalk up to experience than disappoint buyer and risk negative feedback and low DSR's .

Message 2 of 7
latest reply

tk..1
Community Member

Thanks heidilynn0_3,

Any other advice for new sellers on ebay?

Message 3 of 7
latest reply

leb17
Community Member

Hi...Yes...click on the link below for the PP (PayPal) Seller Protection Policy Section 11 and follow it to the letter to prevent headaches.

https://cms.paypal.com/ca/cgi-bin/?cmd=_render-content&content_ID=ua/UserAgreement_full&locale.x=en_...

Message 4 of 7
latest reply

Hello 'tk..1',

You haven't had the best luck selling those to others.  One thing you might consider in future is listing them as fixed price, - 'buy it now' but without the auction aspect, unless your starting bid is closer to what you had in mind.  You can add a 'make an offer' option if you are flexible on price.  Very often there are simply too few bidders for an item, so if you start your auctions at a price you will be happy to accept, even if only one person shows up you will have at least sold your item.

For now, though, you need to wait for the payment to clear then ship the shoes, - paypal will tell you when.  The buyer did everything expected of her, - won fairly in an auction you set up, and paid promptly.  With luck, when they arrive she will be so delighted she leaves you a green circle with 5 stars all round.

And whilst you're waiting for her payment to clear, you might like to poke around in the various ebay policies, - there's always something new to discover:

http://pages.ebay.ca/help/policies/listing-ov.html

Message 5 of 7
latest reply

scifan57
Community Member
Refusing to sell the item to the winning bidder in an auction listing because the winning bid price was lower than you were expecting would be a violation of the selling practices policy which, among other things, doesn't allow for changing the terms and conditions of a listing after it's ended. The best thing you can do is chalk it up to experience and remember to set the start price of an auction listing at the lowest price you're prepared to sell it for.
Message 6 of 7
latest reply

andret3637
Community Member

My best advise: if you still want to sell in auction style, add a reserve price. This way, the bidder has to reach you minimum price in order to obtain the item.

Like the others, I recommend that you complete the transaction and lurn from this experience. We all do mistakes !

Message 7 of 7
latest reply