How are sellers protected from buyers who do not pay?

In the last 3 months I have had 3 buyers from UK do a BIN and then just walk away.  They continue to buy on ebay.  I can't leave feedback to let other sellers know that these buyers do not follow ebay policies - you BIN you pay.  I have looked at the feedback ratings on these buyers, and they are 100% - how can this be?  So what is the consequence for these buyers that walk away from the sale?  And I lose other potential buyers who have been watching and think the thing is sold, and I get no compensation for the potential loss of a sale and have to start all over again and list the item from scratch.  It might at least help if ebay were to give this type of a relist (i.e. seller has been stiffed by buyer) a higher rating in the searches to give them back a head start.  There is a lag of 3 days til a case opens and then another 3 days before ebay cancels the sale - so a week passes and those who were watching the item go off and buy something else.  So this is a real loss for the seller, and no apparent consequence to the buyer who goes off to stiff other sellers with impunity. At least there should be a bad rating of some sort for this type of buyer, and then other sellers might decide not to accept this buyers bid and this is a natural consequence of the buyers actions and will ultimately result in buyers thinking twice about stiffing a seller instead of just walking away and stiffing the seller.  Are any other sellers frustrated by this type of buyer?

Message 1 of 10
latest reply
9 REPLIES 9

Protection from what? What do you lose when a buyer doesn't pay?

If you want your final value fees refunded you file an Unpaid Item Dispute, if you actually paid a listing fee, well that's a nickel or dime you won't get back.

If it bother you that much don't run Auctions and set all your Fixed Price to Immediate Payment Required.

http://pages.ebay.ca/help/pay/require-immediate-payment.html

"What else could I do? I had no trade so I became a peddler" - Lazarus Greenberg 1915
- answering Trolls is voluntary, my policy is not to participate.
Message 2 of 10
latest reply

When buyers don't pay, then the seller loses the sale that might have gone to one of the other watchers, who probably went off and bought something else in the 1 week lag til the item can be relisted once they assumed the item was sold.  This is a loss.

These cases were not auctions - they were BIN.  No way to calculate shipping til I know where the thing is going.  Post office does not have flat rate shipping unfortunately.

Message 3 of 10
latest reply

I can't leave feedback to let other sellers know that these buyers do not follow ebay policies -

Feedback is useless to most sellers. We use Fixed Price Listing and have no idea who is buying until they buy.

Do the Unpaid Item Dispute. The deadbeats get a Strike which will make it harder to bid (never mind buy) on eBay and may eventually get them kicked off the site.

Set you own Seller Preferences to automatically Block bidders with Strikes.

These cases were not auctions - they were BIN.

Even easier. Set your Seller Preferences to exclude bidders without active Paypal accounts and to keep even a BIN or Fixed Price listing open until it is paid.

No way to calculate shipping til I know where the thing is going. 

Wrong.

There is a Calculated Shipping option on the Sell Your Item form. I set up Calculated Shipping for Canada , USA and several overseas destinations. I can set up more than three if necessary using different postal services and destinations, but I believe in KISS.

You have to include the weight and dimensions of your parcel. Use metric measurements. Canada Post went metric in 1974, any other measures will give you wrong results.

Post office does not have flat rate shipping unfortunately.

As in. One price for anywhere in the world?

Well,no. Even Letter rates vary by destination and weight.

But the Sell Your Item form allows you to set your own Flat Rates.You could charge the same amount for shipping to Ottawa, Iqaluit or Nanaimo as you do to Amsterdam, or Canberra, or Glasgow. I doubt anyone would, but it is possible.

Message 4 of 10
latest reply

You cannot lose something you never had. All you are out is the expectation of profit. Every time you go in a store, every item you pick up, you buy? I thought not. Isn't that retailer entitled to the sale you promised by picking up the widget.

Yes, it is the same.

I have used flat rate in Canada, to the USA, worldwide for a decade. Works perfectly. Buyers can see up front what the total cost to them is.

Under 250 g's: USA $8 Canada $10 world $10

250-500 g's:     USA $10 Canada $10 world $20

BIN with IPR works perfectly every time.

Photobucket
Message 5 of 10
latest reply

@mr.elmwood wrote:

You cannot lose something you never had. All you are out is the expectation of profit. Every time you go in a store, every item you pick up, you buy? I thought not. Isn't that retailer entitled to the sale you promised by picking up the widget.

Yes, it is the same.

BIN with IPR works perfectly every time.

Actually, I disagree, it's not at all the same as a B&M store, and because of that eBay tells buyers over and over again that once you hit the "Commit to Buy" button, you have a contract with the seller.  A prospective eBay buyer can look as much as he wants at the picture and description without committing to a purchase.  Once done though, it's a completely different scenario.  

The OP is right -- there is a loss.  The loss is the loss of a sale that very well might have occurred (a watcher, etc.) had the 1st buyer not grabbed the item.  This is especially true of a OOAK or unusual, expensive item which will then be "off the radar" for up to a week while the claim gets resolved.  Not a happy circumstance for the seller. 

Message 6 of 10
latest reply

That does not work because eBay expressly provides escape routes out of each contract. Thus, by not enforcing what they say is a contract, there isn't one.

For a contract to exist there must be the exchange of consideration. There is no exchange, eBay invalidates them all at whim.

I know what you are saying. I know what you want. It will never happen. What eBay chooses to call a contract, does not exist. in the real world.
Photobucket
Message 7 of 10
latest reply

True enouth mr elmwood, but you leave out the part where a unique or hard to find item is taken off the market for several days, during which a more reliable buyer might have found it.

Admittedly, the important word is might.  Maybe , perhaps, in a fairer more perfect world, if only.

But when it happens several times in a short period or several times to an occasional seller, it is more annoying than when it happens to cynical old hands like you and me.

Message 8 of 10
latest reply

myself, i no longer hold any inventory because of non paying bidder. when someone comes through the door and want to buy it, I SELL, even during the four days of the case

i'm not in business to hold inventory for ebay

99% of the time, unpaid open case hand up to be non payer, the other 1% pay within a day

as far as i'm concerned, one day should be the period of time.

Message 9 of 10
latest reply

@reallynicestamps wrote:

True enouth mr elmwood, but you leave out the part where a unique or hard to find item is taken off the market for several days, during which a more reliable buyer might have found it.

Admittedly, the important word is might.  Maybe , perhaps, in a fairer more perfect world, if only.

Well, this has happened to me on at least one occasion I can recall, where a unique and rather expensive vintage garment was purchased, then sat unpaid for 6 days.  It had attracted a dozen watchers within a couple of days, which in my category usually translates into a fairly quick sale.  

I opened a claim for non-payment, closed it (without being paid) after 7 days, then relisted the item.  This was nearly 2 weeks later, and with the loss of all watchers -- the listing effectively started from scratch, and who knows where the original interested buyers may have gone?  Moved on to other sellers' items no doubt.  So, yes, there are consequences for non-payers who don't honour the purchase "contract", and eBay provides recourse for sellers in such situations, but it is often at a cost to the seller.  

Granted, I could have listed my item with Immediate Payment Required, but I like to give buyers the opportunity to shop for a couple of days if they want additional items, and I've learned that IPR does not work with combined invoices.  I admit though, that the second time I listed the item, I decided to use IPR regardless of the disadvantages. 

'Mr. E.'  may have a different point of view on this, partly because of the type of items he sells.  They are practical things people need.  When you're selling discretionary/luxury items, a lost sale is probably lost forever, or at least for a very, very long time.  With things like car parts, I imagine someone else will eventually come along who needs that piece of equipment, even if the first person reneges on a sale.  Sometimes I wish I were selling car parts. Smiley Frustrated

Message 10 of 10
latest reply