How can you tell what seller ratings a specific buyer gave you ?

We recently lost out Top Rated Seller status because of low ratings on our shipping and handling charges. We want to know who left these low ratings but haven't been able to figure out how. Anyone help ? Thanks.

Message 1 of 4
latest reply
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Did you plan to send Big Tony around to their house to demand some answers?

DSRs are supposed to be anonymous, although it is supposed to be possible to work out the buyer who left them. And then what?

That neg (and your unfortunate Response) will drop off pretty soon and with luck your FB will return to 100%.

You can repair your DSRs relatively quickly by moving to Free (domestic) Shipping. This won't be a big deal since it looks like most of your items go by LetterPost in any case. Cheap and fast.

Don't panic.

Free Shipping just means you move the S&H to your asking price.

Which is cheapest?

A $1 item with $2 shipping?

A $2 item with $1 shipping?

A $3 item with Free Shipping?

For the seller it is the third, because even if your item ships to Outer Uzbekistan with SuperSpeedyGoldPlated Rocketmail Express Trackedand Insured service you do not pay any S&H FVF on whatever that toplevel service costs you. And the Uzbekistani buyer is paying the cost of postage. (Probably in goat futures, but hey...)

If losing your TRS makes selling here so expensive that it stops being profitable, then perhaps it is time to rethink your business plan.

In my opinion, and I have so so  many opinions,  it is not viable to sell anything for less than $10.

If that is too high for your items, perhaps they should be sold as wholesale lots? Or not offered at all?

The low end buyer is the hardest one to satisfy.

Seriously, in marketing courses I have taken (part of my retail training, not academic) we were told that the more the buyer pays for an item the more he appreciates it.

The guy who is always looking for the lowest price is the guy who is least likely to like what he receives.

Which explains those poor DSRs. Look at the guys who underpaid for their items.

And cue Big Tony.

Well, maybe I'm not a fancy gentleman like you, with your... very fine hat. But I do business. We're here for business.-- Captain Malcolm Reynolds

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 4
latest reply
3 REPLIES 3

Did you plan to send Big Tony around to their house to demand some answers?

DSRs are supposed to be anonymous, although it is supposed to be possible to work out the buyer who left them. And then what?

That neg (and your unfortunate Response) will drop off pretty soon and with luck your FB will return to 100%.

You can repair your DSRs relatively quickly by moving to Free (domestic) Shipping. This won't be a big deal since it looks like most of your items go by LetterPost in any case. Cheap and fast.

Don't panic.

Free Shipping just means you move the S&H to your asking price.

Which is cheapest?

A $1 item with $2 shipping?

A $2 item with $1 shipping?

A $3 item with Free Shipping?

For the seller it is the third, because even if your item ships to Outer Uzbekistan with SuperSpeedyGoldPlated Rocketmail Express Trackedand Insured service you do not pay any S&H FVF on whatever that toplevel service costs you. And the Uzbekistani buyer is paying the cost of postage. (Probably in goat futures, but hey...)

If losing your TRS makes selling here so expensive that it stops being profitable, then perhaps it is time to rethink your business plan.

In my opinion, and I have so so  many opinions,  it is not viable to sell anything for less than $10.

If that is too high for your items, perhaps they should be sold as wholesale lots? Or not offered at all?

The low end buyer is the hardest one to satisfy.

Seriously, in marketing courses I have taken (part of my retail training, not academic) we were told that the more the buyer pays for an item the more he appreciates it.

The guy who is always looking for the lowest price is the guy who is least likely to like what he receives.

Which explains those poor DSRs. Look at the guys who underpaid for their items.

And cue Big Tony.

Well, maybe I'm not a fancy gentleman like you, with your... very fine hat. But I do business. We're here for business.-- Captain Malcolm Reynolds

Message 2 of 4
latest reply

I would like to know specifically who left the low DSR's so we can block them from buying again. These low ratings cost us our Top Rated seller discount which amounts to $60-$80 a month. Since we do this for charity we would rather have that money rather then have it go into ebay's pockets (like they need more $). The items themselves from those I have looked at sold for well below what they should have so the buyers got deals in the first place. The fact that some buyers in the US on't have sense that God gave a goose and left low DSR's based on shipping costs when we barely charge enough to cover the stamp alone makes it rather frustrating. In all honesty they don't deserve the privilege to buy from us again.

Message 3 of 4
latest reply

This is a puzzler for me too. As far as I can recall, when sellers were recently moved to the Defect system, within that announcement was a single line stating that sellers would be allowed now to see who left them low DSRs so as to protect themselves from feedback manipulation by, for example, buyers that just keep coming back because they like your product but not your prices or shipping costs and then perpetually leave you low DSRs over and over again.

And then immediately after that announcement, as a buyer, when you went to leave feedback for a purchase, you were (and still are) warned feedback is not anonymous and that the seller can see it. Therefore, I would assume some method of reading those DSRs was going to be introduced. It has not so far as I can find.

I also had some lower three-star DSRs left for me recently, taking a perfect score of 5.0 to 4.9 so it's hardly the end of the world but it was done by one of two buyers which I can isolate on my own because so little feedback is actually left for me. (Only about 30 per cent of my buyers take the time to do so.) But which of the two buyers was it? Both are also sellers of similar items. Both orders shipped to both buyers quicker than same-day and were delivered internationally within the first day of the delivery estimate window. Both shipped at exact postage cost with no handling fee where postage paid is shown right on the label at the top of the box. Both orders contained a free toy, an additional diecast car.

I feel as if I did everything expected of a seller (and probably more) and would also like to block whoever it is that wrecked my perfect score but..... I can't. Should I move on? Probably. Will I ever see these buyers again? Likely not. Does it really matter in the long run? I doubt it. But, when a seller feels as if they have been wronged, there should be avenues of recourse they could take.

Aside from sending Big Tony.

Message 4 of 4
latest reply