How do I find someone to sell my stuff on ebay?

I'm going to be selling my house and have alot of clothing, antiques and books to sell. How do I find someone to sell it for me that lives in Toronto, Canada? Thanks Tkaronto.

Message 1 of 15
latest reply
14 REPLIES 14

You will need to find a "trading assistant" in your part of the world

http://tradingassistant.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?TradingAssistant&page=main 

Message 2 of 15
latest reply

tobyshitzu
Community Member

Without knowing what you have value/size wise, there is a good chance after paying someone+fees here+shipping there will be nothing left even if you find someone.  Look into maxsold if you have a lot of stuff.

Message 3 of 15
latest reply

I too think he should look in "maxsold".  That is what I would do if I had to downsize a whole house.  Google "maxsold" and take a look.

Message 4 of 15
latest reply

Hold a "living" estate sale one weekend.  Keep all the profits.

Message 5 of 15
latest reply

Maxsold are liquidators. They have no interest in maximum profit for the home owner.

Photobucket
Message 6 of 15
latest reply

I know what they are, it was founded locally from an auctioneer who used to do estate auctions the traditional way and saw interest declining.  Have you ever looked at the results there?  The vast, vast majority was better off there then here, let alone having to pay someone on top to sell here.  No shipping is huge, and they take care of everything

Message 7 of 15
latest reply

"Have you ever looked at the results there?"

They are very active in the Kingston area and actually we check them regularly and found many prices rather low... very low... specifically paintings by local artists.

Typically, a painting selling for $400 to $700 at the gallery may generate only $100 to $200, sometimes less.

Message 8 of 15
latest reply

And how much could you get for that painting here, after shipping and paying what a trading assistant would want

Message 9 of 15
latest reply

It would not cross my mind to offer paintings on eBay.

To realize maximum value, paintings are best sold by galleries with established clientele.

Message 10 of 15
latest reply

It could easily take a year or more to sell the contents of a house on eBay.

You might also consider breaking up the house contents.

There are many consignment shops for clothing. Clothing is a very slow seller on eBay, especially used.

A local antique dealer or auction house might be best for the antiques , especially if larger pieces are involved. Shipping is the big problem.

Books. Sigh.

If it's modern, donate it to the local Friends of the Library or ask around about charity book sales. I believe Trinity College at UoT has a huge one every spring.

If they are 'antique'  or over 60 years old, ask a bookseller for his opinion and a cash value appraisal. That kind of appraisal is his offer to buy on the spot. It will be higher if he can cherrypick, lower if a lot will be going to landfill (or donated).

And put any old textbooks out for the recycling.  You might want to put out boxes a day before trash pickup for the informal neighbourhood recyclers.

Trading Assistants if they know their business will be charging you as much if not more than most auction houses. And auctions run around 10% to 20% seller fees.

But all of those are cash on hand, no waiting. (except the clothing consignments).

Message 11 of 15
latest reply

I actually worked for Maxsold, very briefly, two years ago. You only hire them as a last resort to avoid tipping fees at the landfill.

Photobucket
Message 12 of 15
latest reply

Garage sale.
Message 13 of 15
latest reply

and then followed with  a garage sale....  and finally a thrift store...  or an auction 

Time becomes a factor.   Does one have a year to do this... or one week?

When something is sold at auction  it is usually priced at one-third to one-half retail...

But then  it could sell for very little

It all depends on who is bidding... and how much each is willing to pay

There must be two or more people interested

and then sometimes nobody wants it...

-----------------------

At the last auction attended by me  a piano was not sold...... Nobody wanted it... mainly because everyone was afraid that the sounding board may be damaged... Pianos  have a very select audience.

----------------------------------

Artwork can be a hit and miss... depends on who wants it

or Artwork has to be sold at a specialty auction sale... and even then  it is who really wants it......  I have seen some crazy bidding on artwork.... and then sometimes.... it sells for pennies....

I have sold artwork on eBay, enough to know it can be done.....  Shipping is a critical factor, and that may control/limit   the sale price....on eBay

Message 14 of 15
latest reply

The fee/commission  at an auction can vary...

In general   ... antiques and collectables   it could start at 25 %  and go up to about 35 %.

Now they also charge a buyer's fee of 5 %.......  I have heard that a buyer's fee can be as high as 20 % or even higher

The commission at a farm sale can be 10 % or even a few points lower.....

I have heard of sales as high as $500,000 in total ... so 10 % is very good in such a situation.

Remember  ... some farm machinery can have a retail-original purchase price of $100,000 or $200,000 and even higher.

The highest price at a local farm auction was a threshing machine,,, over 100 years old.... in almost perfect original condition  sold for $250,000

Local gun sale.....  commission is 15 %.... total for a one day sale can be $150,000  or more... so here 15 % is good...

------------------------------------------------

Selling very valuable books at auction...  major auction houses.

Consignors are not too happy with a high commission... 

The last I heard was the commission cold be as low as  10 % with a buyer's fee as high as 35 %....

---------------------------------------------------

Message 15 of 15
latest reply