How do I report a seller that increased shipping when an item sold too cheap

ca_cunn
Community Member

I purchased item # 311383833008 by auction. Prior to the end of the auction the listing showed a calculated shipping of US$8.77m upon completion I attempted to pay and discovered that the shipping method had been changed to the Global Shipping Program and that shipping had more than doubled.  I have looked for a place to report this as the seller when asked about this said, "I only ship out of the US by Global Shipping."  I have a hard copy of the shipping quote from the calculator I took prior to bidding.  It clearly shows US$ 8.77 and even has the item number clearly indicated. aThe item wasn't expensive and likely fell far short of the sellers expectation

Message 1 of 2
latest reply
1 REPLY 1

Re: How do I report a seller that increased shipping when...

Is your hard copy from eBay dot COM?

Because the GSP does not apply to domestic US purchases, the information about import fees is irrelevant. This information does appear when the buyer starts to pay, and BEFORE his final agreement to the total to be paid out by Paypal.

The domestic shipping cost to 90210 shows as $11.99USD - it may be cheaper to an East Coast address.

When you shop on dotCA, the GSP warning (No additional import charges at delivery!)(HAH!)  is there. When you are using dotCOM or a US address it isn't.

Were you shopping on a mobile device?

Information about the GSP is hard to find on a mobile screen and easily overlooked. Really bad design. But again, the information does appear before payment is confirmed by the buyer.

This is what shows on my desktop screen (not a screen capture, because I am a technodolt and those are beyond me.)

Shipping:
US $20.63 (approx. C $25.45) International Priority Shipping to Canada  help icon for Shipping - opens a layer | See details
Item location:
Lawrenceville, Georgia, United States

Ships to:
United States and many other countries | See details

Import charges:
US $0.00 (estimated and based on current bid)  help icon for Shipping - opens a layer

Delivery:
Estimated within 9-19 business days  help icon for Estimated delivery date - opens a layer
Includes international tracking

BTW the Estimated Delivery Date is optimistic. And don't forget national holidays in there that lead to four day weekends at the post office.

The international tracking is pretty well invisible, so don't bother. In any case, it protects the seller not you. As does the Global Shipping Program for that matter.

If you don't want to pay the total with shipping and import fees , don't. The seller can then either send you a Mutual Cancellation, which is unlikely since you seem to have been confrontational with him and MCs are for friendly agreements that the transaction should be voided, or he can open an Unpaid Item Dispute and give you a Strike for non-payment.

If you get a Strike, you may find it harder to buy with the many, perhaps most, sellers who have automatic Blocks against bidders with Strikes.

Message 2 of 2
latest reply