How does the return process work?

I had a buyer in England who bought a CD from me.  He wrote that he didn't need the item any more as he bought it for a friend who collects Time Life but wanted a different year.  I have on my listings that I accept returns and that buyer pays for the return.  I had to accept the return.  I will be out the $7.50 that it cost to mail it should he send it back plus the cost of the envelope .50, so $8.00.  

So do you know how it works?  They buyer only paid a total of $12.49 for the CD and shipping.  Now when I looked at Royal Mail it will cost over $9.00 to ship it back to me.  

I don't feel I should have to pay for return shipping when there was nothing wrong with the item, he just didn't need it anymore.  I don't think that the buyer realized that he will probably be out the money for return shipping.  

Is there any thing I should watch out for here?

Message 1 of 16
latest reply
15 REPLIES 15

toff3
Community Member

An Item may only be returned if it is defective or not as described. Any other return is by mutual agreement between seller and buyer, something which I hope in this case you will not enter into.

Tom 

Message 2 of 16
latest reply

@toff3 wrote:

An Item may only be returned if it is defective or not as described. Any other return is by mutual agreement between seller and buyer, something which I hope in this case you will not enter into.

Tom 

The seller has a return policy so generally they have to accept returns unless the buyer hasn't followed their terms of return. ie altered the item

musicyouneed - I don't think the buyer expects you to pay return shipping as your return policy does state that buyers pays. If the buyer actually did a return request through ebay and chose no longer want item, they were likely told then that the buyer pays return shipping.

I've had one return since they started the new process and when I received the item back, I had a choice of returning the full amount or the total less the original shipping cost. My return policy states that original shipping costs might not be returned so I don't know if that's why I had the choice or if all non not as described returns have that option.

Message 3 of 16
latest reply

You don't want the buyer to ask ebay to step in which could happen if your mention the original shipping costs and/or give them a hard time about the return so I would just ask them to send it back and let them know you will refund them when you receive it. 

Message 4 of 16
latest reply

Thanks for all your responses.  The buyer did it through ebay, saying he didn't need the item any more.  I just responded to the ebay request for return as return item for refund.  When I went to ebay.UK it shows that he will need to put tracking on it.  I haven't communicated with the buyer at all.   I have blocked him from any more purchases from me.

Personally if I made a mistake for such a low cost item I would just forget it.  By returning the item he will end up with about $3.00 net back once he pays for return shipping and an envelope.  Not worth it to me, but who am I to say.  

The real loser in this transaction was me.  I lost $7.50 for shipping and 50 cents for the bubble envelope.   At least he didn't make up a story that he didn't receive it or it was defective then I would be out all the money plus have a defect.  I should consider myself lucky.  

Message 5 of 16
latest reply

Back in January, I had a return request through eBay where the buyer simply did not need the item. Processing the refund through eBay, I am darn certain I remember that all the buyer was refunded was the widget price, they did not get the shipping cost back.

I did not want the part back, so agreed to refund.

So, shipping was a wash and I got my fees back.

Photobucket
Message 6 of 16
latest reply

When I went to ebay.UK it shows that he will need to put tracking on it.

Because?

The reason for tracking is so that the sender can prove the item has been delivered to the recipient in case of a dispute.

If there is trust, not always a given, tracking is not necessary.

Just as, many sellers ship inexpensive items without tracking, trusting that the buyer will not make a false claim. Or add Cookie Jar Insurance to every shipping & handling fee to cover the very occasional claim (false or not).

Some Canada Post services have tracking or Delivery Confirmation included in the price automatically, whether the sender feels a need for it or not.

We're not thieves — well, we are thieves. Point is we're not takin' what's his. Now we'll stay out of his way the best we can from here on in.-- Captain Malcolm Reynolds

Message 7 of 16
latest reply

Hi, I haven't heard from the buyer other than when he started the return process through ebay, didn't need item any longer.  Through ebay, I said to return item for refund.  Wonder if the buyer changes his mind to return, how would I know and what happens then?  

return requested.jpg

Message 8 of 16
latest reply

If the buyer doesn't enter a tracking number for a return and/or you don't refund them, the return is supposed to automatically close  out in about 30 days.

Message 9 of 16
latest reply

Hi well it has been a number of weeks since this person requested a return as he didn't need the CD.   I have not received the CD back.  I emailed on May 25/15 - the buyer asking him when he returned the item and for the tracking number, there has been no response from the buyer.  

What is my next step?  CD purchased Apr 26/15, On May 8/15 he requested to return.  On the ebay notice it shows that ebay informed the buyer to post the item back by May 29/15.  Does that mean he had 3 weeks to get it into the mail.  What happens on May 29?  Do I have to allow 3 weeks after that for it to come from England to Canada???

What do I need to do?  My feeling is that the buyer went to the PO and found out how much it is going to cost to mail from England and the envelope and he just decided against it, but you never know.

Thanks for any advice.

Message 10 of 16
latest reply

Dont' do anything.

The ball is in his court. He may have decided to forget it. He may have dropped into the donation slot at Oxfam. He may have given it to his auntie.

Not your problem.

If you get it back, refund (tracking or not, this is a question of ethics).

Until  them, don't talk to him, don't send reminders, don't leave feedback.

Schtum.

Message 11 of 16
latest reply

Well, I just got this email from Ebay?  Now what do I do?  Buyer purchased CD April 26/15, contacted through ebay May 10 to return the item as not needed.  I approved the return and have never received the item back.  I did email him mid May wanting to know if he posted the CD back or not, no response.  

Just received this today almost 2 months after the sale?  Is is just a standard email from ebay? 

refund.jpg

Message 12 of 16
latest reply

I got the same email again from ebay.  I have not received the CD back from the buyer.  Should I email the buyer and say what?  I have a 14 day return policy, this is going on 2 months, what a joke.  

Message 13 of 16
latest reply

The buyer seems to have decided to keep the CD.

While there is still time for him to dispute on Paypal (180 days) his window on eBay has passed.

I'd just delete the Messages and move on.

Message 14 of 16
latest reply

Thanks for responding.  Ebay keeps sending me these emails.  I just don't want ebay to refund the buyer because I did nothing.  What is his window on ebay?

Message 15 of 16
latest reply

Ignore the emails and delete them. Buyer started a process and abandoned it. eBay has no way of knowing what has happened. eBay is not going to do anything as there is no proof you got the item back.

Photobucket
Message 16 of 16
latest reply