How is it possible for a buyer to open a case after 60 days if they have not yet received the item?

How is it possible for a buyer to open a case after 60 days if they have not yet received the item? Someone just opened a case against me after 2 months has gone by stating they didn't receive the item yet. I thought the cut off was 45 or 60 days, but it is 65 days. They did not want tracking provided on shipping rate. How do I know they aren't lying about not receiving the item? Thanks.

Message 1 of 9
latest reply
8 REPLIES 8

How is it possible for a buyer to open a case after 60 days if they have not yet received the item?

Just based on what I've read on the boards from other sellers, a case can still be opened at that time but they can not actually escalate the claim so you can't be forced to refund. I tend to think that if the buyer was trying to scam me they would have been more likely to open up a case long before then so I have refunded in a couple of cases like that. But the way I understand it, that's your decision to make.

It doesn't matter if they wanted tracking or not as tracking protects the seller, not the buyer.

Message 2 of 9
latest reply

Thanks so much for your reply! Cheers.Smiley Happy

Message 3 of 9
latest reply

"I thought the cut off was 45 or 60 days, but it is 65 days."

The rules have changed recently.  Please take a look at:

http://pages.ebay.ca/help/buy/item-not-received.html

What estimated delivery date is shown in the listing to the location of the buyer?

Message 4 of 9
latest reply

I don't see anything in that link to explain the OP's question.  It clearly states you must open a case within 45 days of the end of a listing.  What are the details of the recent rule changes?

Message 5 of 9
latest reply

If the purchase is made on .com a case must be opened within 30 days after the latest delivery estimate.  I am not sure that is true only if the case is filed on ebay rather than Paypal.

Message 6 of 9
latest reply

Sorry I used the .ca link instead of the .com link:

http://pages.ebay.com/help/buy/item-not-received.html

Timing for eBay Buyer Protection cases

If you open an eBay Buyer Protection case in the Resolution Center about an item you didn't receive or that didn't match the seller's description, you have a limited amount of time to take some actions. Be sure to follow these time guidelines.

Opening a case

• If you haven't received an item: You can open a case after the estimated delivery date has passed. You must open a case within 30 days of the estimated delivery date.

• If you received an item and it doesn't match the seller's description: You can open a case no later than 30 days after the actual (or latest estimated) delivery date.

If no estimated delivery date is available, we consider the latest estimated delivery date to be 7 days from the payment date for transactions between a buyer and seller in the same country, and 30 days from the payment date for buyers and sellers in different countries.

The seller has 3 business days from the time you open the case to resolve the issue.

Message 7 of 9
latest reply

I did ask the ebay reps on Wednesday about the different time stated on .com and .ca and they stated that the 30 days after delivery was related to the ebay money back guaranteed program for items purchased while shopping on .com.

http://community.ebay.ca/t5/Weekly-Board-Hour-Session/February-5th-2014-Weekly-Board-Hour/m-p/198883...

post 7

The part that I'm not clear about is that if someone purchases an item while on .com, they can open a claim on either ebay or paypal so I "think" that if they open the case of paypal that the 45 days would be the rule.

Message 8 of 9
latest reply

On the same "Board Hour" on Wednesday, questions about where (eBay or PayPal) to make a claim were answered in post #12

http://community.ebay.ca/t5/Weekly-Board-Hour-Session/February-5th-2014-Weekly-Board-Hour/m-p/198883...

Clear as mud.  How can such answers help the new user?

Message 9 of 9
latest reply