How much will this cost in total? I've never used ebay before

Hi, I'm planning on buying a second video card. I found one but I have no idea how much it will cost me in total. I've never bought anything from accross the border unless it had a Canadian site. So i have no idea how shipping and brokerage fees work or what to expect. But i found this video card for 200 + 20 shipping and 30 for importing. So will it be 250 in total or are there hidden fees to be expected? If it costs more than 250 in total it isn't worth it for me. Thanks for any help.

Here's the link

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Galaxy-Nvidia-GeForce-670-GTX-GC-2GB-/290995864750?pt=PCC_Video_TV_Cards&hash...

Message 1 of 7
latest reply
6 REPLIES 6

marnotom!
Community Member

Since the listing is auction format, the import fees are based on the current bid amount.  Since the bulk of import fees are taxes, that part of the charge will increase the higher the item gets bid up.

That particular listing uses the Global Shipping Program.  You might be able to find a seller who does not use that program and ships directly to you rather than through eBay, but bear in mind that while you won't pay taxes at the time you pay for your item for a non-GSP shipment, there's a chance your item will be stopped by Canada Border Services and assessed taxes which you'll have to pay on delivery.

Message 2 of 7
latest reply

Hi thanks for replying. So with the global shipping program all costs are disclosed and there will be no hidden fees? And if they uses someone like fedex or usps, i will have to go on their website and see how much it would cost me?

Message 3 of 7
latest reply

USPS will have no idea how much in customs-related fees you may end up paying for a postal import.  The Canada Border Services Agency website gives a quick general run-down, but keep in mind that some if not much of the time they don't bother taxing packages that should be taxed.

As for carriers such as FedEx and UPS, checking their websites would be a good idea as the fees involved will vary depending on the type of shipment method used.  If I recall correctly, UPS is more upfront about their charges than FedEx.

For the GSP, I'd check the terms and conditions page for buyers if you haven't done so already.

http://pages.ebay.ca/shipping/globalshipping/buyer-tnc.html

Message 4 of 7
latest reply

So USPS would be the cheapest method, so long as tax isn't charged? And GSP is prepaid so there will be no additional fees?

Message 5 of 7
latest reply

So USPS would be the cheapest method, so long as tax isn't charged? And GSP is prepaid so there will be no additional fees?

Yes.  But with GSP you are guaranteed to pay the tax, with an item sent USPS, without the GSP, you may not be taxed, and the seller may put a lower value on the package so if you are taxed it will not be so much.

Message 6 of 7
latest reply

Alright thank you for your help.

Message 7 of 7
latest reply