How to get FVF back on item which was damaged by Post Office in transit

I just had a parcel returned yesterday (shipped Nov. 15th) by the Post Office totally trashed.  The shipping label was ripped off except for the return address - had obviously been jammed in a machine somehow. Ironically enough the Fragile sticker was still on!!! This was just shipped via small packet air to the US so there is no insurance and unfortunately the bracelet inside was damaged also. I know that Canada Post will not pay for the damaged item as I did not choose the much more expensive tracked insured (item value $15.99 ) but really think I should get my postage back as I will have to return it to the buyer and the Post Office did not do what I paid them to do - deliver the parcel. Has anyone had experience with this type of thing? Also as I will be totally out on this - would like to get my FVF back from eBay - assume that I will have to refund to the buyer and cancel the sale? Have never had this experience before (guess I have just been fortunate). Thanks,

Kat

Message 1 of 3
latest reply
2 REPLIES 2

assume that I will have to refund to the buyer and cancel the sale?

Yes, and when you do, send along an eBay Message about the problem and if possible include a photo of the trashed package. Communication is important when a seller cannot complete the sale.

Take the parcel to the Post Office. Not the Postal Outlet, you need Canada Post staff. Discuss your options with them with the evidence right in front of them.

It may take a while, but having the PO clerks on your side will be useful.

And now let's chat about self-insurance. Sometimes called Cookie Jar Insurance, it is a method sellers of low cost items like you and I use to cover the occasional damage or claims of loss in transit.

All it means is that you add a few pennies to every asking price and put those virtual pennies in a virtual Cookie Jar. When you have a problem, you cover the cost from those pennies and the all-important customer is reimbursed without drama.

With over 2200 sales behind you, a nickel on every one would have put $110 in the Cookie Jar.

Message 2 of 3
latest reply

You can file a claim with Canada Post by mail or by phone (check their website for Forms) . Of course in this case they will not reimburse cost of the package, but maybe paid postage.

Message 3 of 3
latest reply