How to handle a returned item

Hello,

I'm somewhat new to selling on ebay and have yet to encounter this kind of return-item issue:

I sold a NIP IKEA sofa cover to a buyer (Note: a very new buyer with 0% feedback).

Here is my 14-day return policy as outlined on the item listing:

All returns must notify me within 48 hours of receiving the product

Refund is given once the product is returned

All returns must be in resalable condition and original packaging

Buyer is obligated to pay the return shipping for refund

S&H charge is not refundable

15% charge for restocking fee for all returns

Please allow up to 7 business days to process your return after your product is received

Here are the issues with the return:

1) The buyer didn't notify me, the returned package just showed up at my door (still within the 14 day return window)

2) The sofa cover was poorly repacked in the original IKEA packaging (a cardboard box) and sent back to me - it was bulging at the seams and not covered in any outer material (i.e brown paper or an outer box) to protect the original package 

3) When the package arrived, it was ripped on several corners and the actual sofa cover was fully exposed

4) Because the cover was exposed and the original package was destroyed in transit, I'm not sure if I will be able to re-sell it

I've taken pictures of the package and can send them to the buyer if need-be. Besides my 15% restocking fee, is there anything else I should do to mitigate the loss on this product? It's clear the buyer made no effort to try and protect the original package or the product inside it.

Also, perhaps there is something I can do in future to decrease the likelihood of this happening again?

Thanks in advance for the advice!

Message 1 of 5
latest reply
4 REPLIES 4

From our experience such a buyer thinks that they are buying from a single entity. They have no idea that you are an individual. You see this here on the forum when one of these buyers makes a post demanding something from a seller. Looks funny to us but to them they are serious and are just stupid.

Our advice would be to avoid the NEG as at this point it would kill the good thing you have going. Salvage the item and packaging as best you can, refund the idiot minus shipping,  minus the 15% restocking fee and move on. And of course block them.

There is really nothing else you can do without risking that NEG which will stick and ruin everything you worked so hard at since 2005..

Message 2 of 5
latest reply

Thanks very much for the advice. That's what I thought after reading around the forum.

One more question: do I refund the money and then try to get the buyer to agree to cancel the transaction? I'm guessing this is the only way to get my fees back since the buyer never officially requested a refund through ebay.

Thanks again!

Message 3 of 5
latest reply

you can request the fees be returned. if they don't agree to it then you will have to call ebay and get them to refund the fees. they will refund after they verify the payment has been refunded. 

Message 4 of 5
latest reply

No.

A Mutual Cancellation allows the buyer to leave feedback. You don't want feedback from an unhappy buyer. Let sleeping dogs lie.

Hindsight is 20/20 Department.

When I sell my books, I add a plastic bag to keep them dry. Important in Canadian winters.

Do you add any weatherproofing to your items beyond the original packaging? Remember IKEA (etc) would be sending those covers in pallets of dozens with some sort of outer covering, not the packaging you see in the store alone.

I can imagine it would be expensive for such a bulky item, of course.

Message 5 of 5
latest reply