How to purchase thin breathable clothes on eBay?

Any advice on how to search eBay in order to find lightweight, breathable, wrinkle-resistant, not accumulating static electricity clothes (pants, shirts with pockets)?

And another question: is it possible to refine search for low-cut(low sit?) pants, that end at the top of hip bones? Most are made high, ending on the ribs of average height person.

I have problem hunting them down in local stores, maybe eBay will be able to help.

And many items, even if marked as breathable and wrinkle-resistant, are not so in reality. I'm not a picky buyer, just trying to find something that I could actually use.

Am I looking for impossible?

Thanks.

Message 1 of 8
latest reply
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

lightweight, breathable, wrinkle-resistant, not accumulating static electricity

Your first criterion would be best fulfilled by a full service fabric store. Wrinkle resistant usually means some polyester is used, and polyester accumulates static.

low-cut(low sit?) pants, that end at the top of hip bones?

I would suggest that at the same store you look at Vogue and Butterick patterns

Since you are looking for pants, check out Vyella - a washable wool that, like most wool fabrics, is wrinkle resistant. It is a fine and lightweight fabric that is not itchy. A good choice for fall/winter/spring clothing.

I have problem hunting them down in local stores,maybe eBay will be able to help.

Not really. Clothing sold on eBay is either direct imports from Asia, with all the problems that entails-- mostly a complete misunderstanding of how Caucasian bodies are structured--or end of line/sample/ used from the same brands found in every shoppingmall.

Which is why I am encouraging you to look in fabric stores. And while you are there , ask the staff for the names of local seamstresses.

You may be surprised to find that the price of a custom made garment is about the same, or even lower , than the cost of one from a department store like The Bay.  I find women's pants there run around $100 to $120 regular price.

Most are made high, ending on the ribs of average height person.

That is called the "rise" the measurement from the crotch seam to the waistband.

The average North America woman, nowadays, is 5'4". If you are shorter than that, the rise on even "low waisted" pants will be too high. And the younger the demographic the manufacturer is aiming at, the longer that rise, because a woman born in 1965 (48 y o) is likely to be shorter than her daughter born in 1995 (18 y o).

And if you are stout, like me, those wider hips are usually cut with a higher rise, as if every Size 20 woman was also 5'8". Unfortunately, the manufacturers of high-end garments also believe that their customers are tall, and those garments are usually cut with a higher rise.

What you won't find, is cheap clothing that fills your criteria. WalMart has low prices because the sell cheap fabrics. You will have to shop in the higher end stores to find some of what you want.

View solution in original post

Message 3 of 8
latest reply
7 REPLIES 7

That's not easy ...................... : Getting that specific.

However,  once you've refined your search the normal way as much as you can try going to the acvanced search function (See the little "Advanced" beside the blue search button?)....................

............... You can refine the search even more there.

Good Luck.

Message 2 of 8
latest reply

lightweight, breathable, wrinkle-resistant, not accumulating static electricity

Your first criterion would be best fulfilled by a full service fabric store. Wrinkle resistant usually means some polyester is used, and polyester accumulates static.

low-cut(low sit?) pants, that end at the top of hip bones?

I would suggest that at the same store you look at Vogue and Butterick patterns

Since you are looking for pants, check out Vyella - a washable wool that, like most wool fabrics, is wrinkle resistant. It is a fine and lightweight fabric that is not itchy. A good choice for fall/winter/spring clothing.

I have problem hunting them down in local stores,maybe eBay will be able to help.

Not really. Clothing sold on eBay is either direct imports from Asia, with all the problems that entails-- mostly a complete misunderstanding of how Caucasian bodies are structured--or end of line/sample/ used from the same brands found in every shoppingmall.

Which is why I am encouraging you to look in fabric stores. And while you are there , ask the staff for the names of local seamstresses.

You may be surprised to find that the price of a custom made garment is about the same, or even lower , than the cost of one from a department store like The Bay.  I find women's pants there run around $100 to $120 regular price.

Most are made high, ending on the ribs of average height person.

That is called the "rise" the measurement from the crotch seam to the waistband.

The average North America woman, nowadays, is 5'4". If you are shorter than that, the rise on even "low waisted" pants will be too high. And the younger the demographic the manufacturer is aiming at, the longer that rise, because a woman born in 1965 (48 y o) is likely to be shorter than her daughter born in 1995 (18 y o).

And if you are stout, like me, those wider hips are usually cut with a higher rise, as if every Size 20 woman was also 5'8". Unfortunately, the manufacturers of high-end garments also believe that their customers are tall, and those garments are usually cut with a higher rise.

What you won't find, is cheap clothing that fills your criteria. WalMart has low prices because the sell cheap fabrics. You will have to shop in the higher end stores to find some of what you want.

Message 3 of 8
latest reply

You could look at the Tilley clothing - there are sellers on eBay.  They have a large range of clothing originally developed for travellers that is excellent quality and meets all your criteria.

Message 4 of 8
latest reply

Thank you all for the suggestions!

The bottom line result is that this is impossible on eBay, most clothes items are listed by brand and style, very few include as a style basic or classic, vs. hiphop and harem, none even listed as lightweight and breathable, let alone be so.

Web search is a little bit better, there are online stores that sell what others tried, found good and posted results on forums. But again, amount of digging is comparable with trying to find this in local stores.

Search terms lightweight and breathable pants leads to hot weather working pants (as opposed to waterproof clothes and mesh diapers, that for some reason appear in search too),  and professional chiefs at the US South are even in worse position than most of Canadian population during the summer...

I tried with fabric stores long time ago, fabrics are marked only by type, dead end here too.

But thank you for trying to help, appreciate this.

Message 5 of 8
latest reply

The Basic Search gives you only words that are in the title.

If you use Advanced Search, it will also search the description of the item .There is a long list of further options when you use Advanced Search

Message 6 of 8
latest reply

"Basic Search gives you only words that are in the title."

... unless you list on the French version eBay.ca site where subtitles are free and included in basic search.

http://pages.cafr.ebay.ca/help/sell/itemsubtitle.html

Message 7 of 8
latest reply

Thank you, everybody!

I know about advanced search, but not much about what clothes are sold on eBay. Time to face reality 🙂

Message 8 of 8
latest reply