..I THINK I'M GOING TO HAVE A PROBLEM...

katiusciav
Community Member
a while ago, i sold some floral porcelain pieces...when i looked up winner's feedback history, i was a little perplexed and a little worried, and a little afraid..? are we allowed to mention user id's here? well here goes, if we're not allowed, someone tell me:

dollkarma7--anyways, look up the feedback that SHE LEFT FOR OTHERS...this is why i was worried before i sent it out. after reading her feedback that she gave etc...i got the impression she was one of those bidders that will try and get something for nothing, or try and pull as much out of the seller as possible, especialy if you fear a negetive...
so anyways, i WRAPPED HER ITEM VERY VERY CAREFULLY..if you know what i mean...and i was convinced i would get an email from her when she received claiming they were broken or something like that. sure enough, got one today saying my items arrived broken, auction page didn't list 'damaged' pieces, and that it was 'packaged poorly', and wants her money back.
well...lets just say i have a witty bitty itty bit of a temper, especially when I THINK someone is being purposely nasty. mind you i have no proof, they could very well have arrived broken...but i don't think so.
anyways, i emailed her back saying it WAS NOT poor packaging and that i need to see pics of the items before i can issue a refund...
does anyone have any advice on this? like if she says she can't get pics, would you refund?
i already left her a positive, (i should have waited). notice how she hasn't left any feedback for a long time for any seller, i find that strange, i don't know why...

am i being paranoid?
Kat
Message 1 of 28
latest reply
27 REPLIES 27

treasure-pot
Community Member
I had a look and it appears your buyer generally only leaves negs - she doesn't say anything unless she has something bad to say.

When I get complaints of damage or faulty items I will always respectfully ask for photos of the item and the packaging to be sent to me. Frequently I never hear from the buyer again but if the buyer refuses or claims an inability to supply images I make sure they understand that I can only process their claim if they return the item to me in the original packaging for closer inspection.

There are some buyers who go to great lengths to switch their broken item for a new item from an unsuspecting eBay seller. I make sure that I say in my email correspondence that it is my policy to insist that I get the item back to insure that it is the one I shipped and to determine the nature of the damage. I might say something like "unfortunately I had experienced situations where an unscrupulous buyer tried to switch items on me so I now mark all items invisibly and I need the item back to examine under ultra-violet light". It's all hooey of course but you'd be surprised at how many cheats disappear.

For those that want to escalate it to a Paypal claim, I invite them to do so. I have had buyers who want their money back and refuse to return the item. Paypal may decide against me but they will generally always insist that the buyer return the item before allowing the claim.

Be polite but be firm. All mail order companies have policies regarding returns. It is not for the buyer to dictate that they receive their money back and keep the item to boot. One way or another make sure you get some evidence of the nature of the damage.

Good luck,

Bill treasure-pot

Bill

Message 2 of 28
latest reply

Tis the season for deadbeats and buyers leaving unwarranted negative feedbacks.

We just received a negative feedback for a printer we listed in AS-IS condition since we could not test it completely due to missing printhead and ink cartridges.

The buyer not only left negative feedback but also decided to lie and claim the item was broken (ya right!).

Needless to mention, we never received an email complaint fromt his buyer so we figured he/she did not read the ad properly.

The whole eBay feedback system sucks big time and if very easy for anyone to abuse. eBaY should look at revamping the whole feedback system to make it fair for both Sellers and Buyers.

The system should include a formal process and waiting period that has to be completed before a negative feedback can be left. Ebay forces sellers to wait 8 days before we can file for a credit of our Final Value Fees but they let anyone leave negative feedback seconds after an auction ends.

Ok I am finished venting.

Happy Holidays to all.

FTL
Message 3 of 28
latest reply

katiusciav
Community Member
thanks for the comments, glad some of you agree that someone who only has time to leave negetives is someone i need to be careful of
but i will stick to my ground as far as pics go..
i could easily refund her...its only 9.99, but i really hate doing things out of fear, even if its the wrong thing to do..
Kat
Message 4 of 28
latest reply

u-deserv-it
Community Member
so i emailed her about two days ago, right after receiving her email asking her to send pics of the damaged items, and i would refund, and i haven't heard back from her yet. i guess it would be safe to assume i was right..
Kat
Message 5 of 28
latest reply

treasure-pot
Community Member
I think your problems as a seller are far from over.

Your choice for a user ID will not instill confidence in buyers. Why not try something really to the point like im_just_out_for_a_buck or buyer_beware? I'm sure you probably had good intentions and meant for the name to be taken in another way but my first reaction as a buyer would be to avoid your listings.

Good Luck!

Bill treasure-pot

Bill

Message 6 of 28
latest reply

u-deserv-it
Community Member
i have seen other user id names that have totally thrown me off like easymoney etc...and i don't think mine falls in the same category.
i never wanted to actually change my user id, i just wanted to see what it involved and when i went to try and change it back, i have to wait 30 days and actually miss my old user id.
i'd have to disagree-'udeservit' doesn't imply 'out for a buck'?!?!? assuming my user id will attract bad buyers isn't really logical
'your problems are far from over' isn't very encouraging to hear...
Kat
Message 7 of 28
latest reply

treasure-pot
Community Member
That's not at all what I was saying. You don't need to woryy about attracting bad buyers - they are always out there. You need to worry more about discouraging good buyers. My suggestion is the the name "u-deserve-it" ca imply that you deserve something good or that it can imply thet you deserve something bad. The nature of buyers is that they will always assume the worst.

Testing on eBay is never a great idea... you never know what can befall you. treasure-pot

Bill

Message 8 of 28
latest reply

treasure-pot
Community Member
Yikes... my typing is horrible. If anyone needs a transalation of my post 7 above, let me know. treasure-pot

Bill

Message 9 of 28
latest reply

u-deserv-it
Community Member
it never once crossed my mind someone could read it that way! i have an email into ebay asking they override the 30 day user id rule, but i don't expect they will, i wish i had never bothered fooling around with my old user id...thanks for the good advice..
Kat
Message 10 of 28
latest reply

jakeeangel
Community Member
They're not going to override anything.

Next time before you make any changes, read about it in the help files. It would have explained that you can only make and ID change once every 30 days. Or ask on the boards before making that type of change.

Come See What Else We've Got Up For Auction!
Message 11 of 28
latest reply

u-deserv-it
Community Member
yea, you're telling me. i already got the 'sorry, no can do' email reply. i'll just have to wait...i think i already knew about the 30 day rule, but i thought there was going to be one last 'confirmation' step before securing the new user id.
i'll just have to wait..
Kat
Message 12 of 28
latest reply

bestshowtime
Community Member
My suggestion is the name "u-deserve-it"
That is real bad name!!!
Message 13 of 28
latest reply

treasure-pot
Community Member
bestshowtime, that point has already been made but thanks for weighing in and giving your opinion. I'm sure that the OP also really appreciates your use of exclamation marks to emphasize. Next time use salt in the wounds. treasure-pot

Bill

Message 14 of 28
latest reply

u-deserv-it
Community Member
hooly macqueral!!! i guess i'm in for no sales for the next thirty days!!:^O that's two...i never would have guessed! i was thinking a buyer is looking at a product and sees youdeserveit and thinks, 'yea, i deserve it', and buys it!! maybe not
Kat
Message 15 of 28
latest reply

jakeeangel
Community Member
How about you deserve the best or some variation thereof?

Come See What Else We've Got Up For Auction!
Message 16 of 28
latest reply

u-deserv-it
Community Member
i never wanted it in the first place-i'm a dummy for screwing around with the user id change in the first place, i just want my old one back. 😞
Kat
Message 17 of 28
latest reply

alero0
Community Member
Maybe I'm just one of those "Glass Half Full" people but I don't look at u-deserv-it as negitive. I supose some people can but most buyers look at the sellers feedback before making a purchase and your shows the positive aspect of you deserve it. You might end up pleasantly suprised with the new id. I'll be interested to hear from you after the 30 day period to find out if you had any success with it and if you change it back or not. Good luck with it and Happy Holidays.
Message 18 of 28
latest reply

u-deserv-it
Community Member
thanks! that's what i thought in the first place, but honestly, i really don't think a seller's user id has that much impact on a buyers decision, its more of an indirect subconscious one i think...
Kat
Message 19 of 28
latest reply

I too wouldn't have seen u-deserv-it as a bad id. If I'm buying something I check the feedback etc out carefully anyway as well. As a note, perhaps this id would attract more glass half full customers which are the better ones to have anyway! Have a great holiday season!
Message 20 of 28
latest reply