I bid on an item with free shipping.When it showed up in "my ebay" it shows US 5.00 shipping charge?

How does "Free Shipping" change to 5.00 US on Item #131218956280 ???

Message 1 of 12
latest reply
3 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions

I bid on an item with free shipping.When it showed up in "my ebay" it shows US 5.00 shipping charge?

<< Scam? >>

Yes.  When a buyer wins a low-priced auction and it shows up in the Purchase History with a

non-removable $5 shipping fee, I call that a deceptive scam.

You may call it what you wish.

View solution in original post

Message 7 of 12
latest reply

<<The problem is not with a seller changing the shipping charge but a "bug" with eBay.>>

Possibly, but this 'bug' manifests itself in the form of a shipping fee appearing in the Purchase History

of items which are clearly stated to be 'free'.

These sellers do not then apologize for a mistake that is not theirs, rather they will agree to "lower"

the fee a pinch, with the alleged 'mistake' having been that no fee appeared when it should have.

So maybe that's the 'bug', - whereby the clearly delineated shipping fee is for some reason not appearing.

One would think these sellers, victims of this outrage, would have had ebay fix it by now.

Well, perhaps very soon.

Message 10 of 12
latest reply

"but the auction is still active so I guess I will just wait ..."

If you have the time on Wednesday, eBay.ca staff has a one hour open forum with eBay users to answer those types of questions.  They may or may not already be aware of the problem.

Message 11 of 12
latest reply
11 REPLIES 11

???

I still see "Free Shipping"

Where specifically do you see $5.00 ?

Message 2 of 12
latest reply

You're right, 'curmudgeon', that is very wrong indeed.

It seems to be yet another of the latest scams to come out of China.  They list at ridiculously low

prices with 'free' shipping, and add on a shipping fee later.  I suspect it has the double benefit of

increasing sales and granting the seller an automatic 5 DSR stars for 'shipping'.

This is a violation of ebay policy.

If it were me, I would find the Customer Support at the top right corner of the page, select

Customer Support from the drop-down menu, choose a category, get a phone number & code,

and call ebay to politely report it.

Maybe $6.25 US is a fair price for that, - but I just hate thieves, crooks, liars and cheats.

They need to be stopped.

Most people, you see, will just pay the extra.  If they complain to the seller, the seller may "reduce" the

amount somewhat.

If these criminals cannot list fairly and honestly in accordance with ebay policy, they should be booted off entirely.

I wish you luck with it.

Message 3 of 12
latest reply

"latest scams to come out of China."

Scam?

I still see "free shipping" on that listing, using both MS-Explorer and Firefox, on both eBay.ca and eBay.com

Where do you see the scam?

Message 4 of 12
latest reply

It only shows when I go into " My Ebay"  Items I am bidding on....  But if I go to the llisting it still shows "Free Shipping". If it is truly free shipping I can increase my bid but if is the S5.00 US that is showing  in "My Ebay" then I am already over. Item # is 131218956280.

It just seems strange ... maybe its a glitch.

Message 5 of 12
latest reply

The listing is clearly "free shipping".

I also checked the listing on eBay.uk and it also shows "free listing"

Why it shows $5 in your "my eBay" I do not know.  I never ever checked "my eBay" for stuff I buy.

If you have some time to waste, you could call eBay (customer support at top right) and ask why they show the wrong information in your "my eBay".

Good Luck.

Message 6 of 12
latest reply

<< Scam? >>

Yes.  When a buyer wins a low-priced auction and it shows up in the Purchase History with a

non-removable $5 shipping fee, I call that a deceptive scam.

You may call it what you wish.

Message 7 of 12
latest reply

"I call that a deceptive scam."

Have you read the thread? 

The problem is not with a seller changing the shipping charge but a "bug" with eBay.

Message 8 of 12
latest reply

I tried to go to Customer Support but the auction is still active so I guess I will just wait ... If I don't win there is no foul If I do win I can then dispute the charges. Thanks to everyone for your advice.

Message 9 of 12
latest reply

<<The problem is not with a seller changing the shipping charge but a "bug" with eBay.>>

Possibly, but this 'bug' manifests itself in the form of a shipping fee appearing in the Purchase History

of items which are clearly stated to be 'free'.

These sellers do not then apologize for a mistake that is not theirs, rather they will agree to "lower"

the fee a pinch, with the alleged 'mistake' having been that no fee appeared when it should have.

So maybe that's the 'bug', - whereby the clearly delineated shipping fee is for some reason not appearing.

One would think these sellers, victims of this outrage, would have had ebay fix it by now.

Well, perhaps very soon.

Message 10 of 12
latest reply

"but the auction is still active so I guess I will just wait ..."

If you have the time on Wednesday, eBay.ca staff has a one hour open forum with eBay users to answer those types of questions.  They may or may not already be aware of the problem.

Message 11 of 12
latest reply

The listings shows free shipping to Canada but it is $5 to the U.S. and to many other countries.  I agree that it is probably a glitch but I am wondering if the seller sees $5 at their end.

Message 12 of 12
latest reply