I bid on and won two items. Seller is now saying he doesn't have one of the items listed.

ca_cunn
Community Member

I bid on and won two model train engines.  The seller is now advising he does not have the second item. He stated there was  an error in his listing. He has offered a higher priced substitution.  Other than that has offered no ideas on resolution.  What are my options here?  The final price was ridiculously low but he set the opening bid not me.

Message 1 of 7
latest reply
6 REPLIES 6

I bid on and won two items. Seller is now saying he doesn't have one of the items listed.

"I bid on and won two model train engines.  The seller is now advising he does not have the second item. He stated there was  an error in his listing. He has offered a higher priced substitution.  Other than that has offered no ideas on resolution.  What are my options here?  The final price was ridiculously low but he set the opening bid not me."

Because of the "ridiculously low price" you won at, you have to ask yourself...

Is it still worth it without the 2nd engine.

Is it worth it with a "higher priced substitution"... please clarify... seller is offering to substitute a better item at no extra cost to you?

If you decide it's not worth it, ask seller for a mutual cancellation - you will have option to file a Not As Described claim if they refuse.

If you decide it's worth it, accept substitution, and if items arrive as per new deal, you should provide feedback that reflects the new deal - positive feedback.

Message 2 of 7
latest reply

the seller is offering a somewhat better substitute at a price almost twice that of the original purchase.   It seems he rather blithely sold an item he didn't have or is making an effort to cut his losses by saying he made a mistake and making up for his loss by selling me a higher priced item.  Grrr.

Message 3 of 7
latest reply

"the seller is offering a somewhat better substitute at a price almost twice that of the original purchase. "

Well that's quite different.

Up to you - might want to ask for mutual cancellation then, unless you still have option at the single engine at the low bid price.

If a cancellation occurs, at BEST give a neutral feedback.

Message 4 of 7
latest reply

OK many thanks for your help!

Message 5 of 7
latest reply

The seller is still offering only the more expensive engine as a substitute.  I counter offered to buy it but he would have to ship both engines at the cost of the first one.  Is that fair?

Message 6 of 7
latest reply

"The seller is still offering only the more expensive engine as a substitute.  I counter offered to buy it but he would have to ship both engines at the cost of the first one.  Is that fair?"

So you are getting two engines for original shipping price?  So that's par...

Depends on whether you think the increased cost is worth the upgrade on the item.

Always look at your total cost including shipping, and whether or not it is reasonable and you feel comfortable spending that money.

Message 7 of 7
latest reply