I feel taken advantage of by Ebay !!!

I recently won an item and was immediately notified of my win at the price of $9.07 . I immediately went to pay for the item and found out that the selling price had been increased to $10.49 . This was still less than my highest bid , but to me that is not the point . When I checked the purchase data it showed another bidder between the $9.07 bid and the $10.49 bid . My point is that if the bidding ended with me in the lead at $9.07 , and I was notified of the win at that price , then how was another bid even considered after the bidding was ended .I am comfortable with the price I paid for the item , but if this type of thing is allowed to happen , then can we trust Ebay from this point on ??? Isn't Trust something we all need to continue doing business here ??? I really feel blindsided , and don't understand how this could happen . To make things worse , there is nowhere for me to contact them one on one to have the situation explained to me . All there is , is a litany of punchboards that serve only to increasingly infuriate an already disconcerted individual . Beware , people .... it seems that someone out there is maybe taking a little here and a little there ,not enough for most to notice or be concerned with , but with the number of transactions done here , it could amount to a very tidy sum in not a long time . I really wish I didn't have to go by this route .

Message 1 of 4
latest reply
3 REPLIES 3

The bad news is that your winning bid was pushed higher at the last split millisecond by another bidder. The good news is that you still won the item. 

Nothing nefarious happened here.

If you seek further reassurance, please share with us the listing number so the most experienced among us can confirm my theory.

Unless you were bidding in another currency on a different English version of ebay and just didn't know it. Then it's currency conversion. This is easily done. There's ebay Canada ebay USA and ebay Australia that all display dollars but our dollars are not equal in value. 

Message 2 of 4
latest reply

My point is that if the bidding ended with me in the lead at $9.07 ,

Look at the Bids list. It's right beside the Winning Bid on the listing.

You will be able to see the bids in value order, but look more closely at the times.

Your bid may have been pushed up by a 'sniper' at the last second.

Don't be concerned that the other bidders names as masked and look like f***6. Only the seller can see all the names and only you and the seller can see yours.

Message 3 of 4
latest reply

@henpecked49 wrote:

I recently won an item and was immediately notified of my win at the price of $9.07 . I immediately went to pay for the item and found out that the selling price had been increased to $10.49 . This was still less than my highest bid , but to me that is not the point . When I checked the purchase data it showed another bidder between the $9.07 bid and the $10.49 bid . My point is that if the bidding ended with me in the lead at $9.07 , and I was notified of the win at that price , then how was another bid even considered after the bidding was ended .I am comfortable with the price I paid for the item ,

I don't like to say you've got the wrong end of the stick but maybe I can help explain it.  If you are watching an auction countdown you must do it from the item page and not the bid box.  You can still see the seconds count down in the bid box but if someone has outbid you it will show on the item page

The selling price can't increase after the sale.  Not ever.   I don't know what you mean you were "notified" of the win at the $9.07 price.  Anyone here would have to see that "notice" to be able to comment.  You must have got it confused with something else, or maybe that you were winning, which is not the same as "you won". 

If you were watching the bid box and it was at $9.07, you would next be told "you won" but you would not know there had been a couple snipe attempts because you were watching the wrong page. 

Sniping is when bidders enter a quick bid at the last second of the auction, hoping to win it when others don't expect it.  Except that everybody snipes so you should ALWAYS expect it. 

You will see how it happened when you check the BID HISTORY for that auction.  It will help you understand better that there was nothing untrustworthy going on, just a typical auction with last-second snipers. 

I'll show you an example.  In this auction, at 6:24 bidder b...b  thought they were going to get it for $80, in spite of having decided on a much higher bid than $80.  But then along comes l...i  and tries to snipe it at the end with only 5 seconds to go.  Now, like yourself, b...b still wins but at a little more than they expected.   

If b...b  had been watching the bid box and not the item page that could have been both a nasty shock (much higher price at the end) and a pleasant surprise (got the item for less than the high bid). 

bid history.jpg

Message 4 of 4
latest reply