I had an issue with a buyer which was resolved in her favor and I am very unhappy with eBay.

Low ticket item was shipped via Canada Post to California at less than my cost (postage only of $2.20 - I don't add 'handling charges). Shipped the day after payment arrived. Two weeks later I get a message via eBay from this rocket scientist saying

""I believe that you may have an incorrect address
The correct address is
Marian # ######
##### ####### ###
##### ##  #####-#### ""

So too bad, I shipped it to the OLD address provided on her Paypal payment. She didn't have a change of address in with the post office of course and didn't recieve the item. Opened a case on eBay and they ruled in her favor. I am out my item, the listing fees and commission paid to eBay, the postage I paid - everything - because some clown had the wrong address on her account. This is just wrong. Shipping with a tracking nunber from anywhere in Canada to anywhere in the world is stupid expensive and buyers won't pay it. If I had made the mistake I would happily refund this buyer's money - but I didn't! This is the first instance where I have had to pay for a buyer's stupidity.

Message 1 of 15
latest reply
14 REPLIES 14

Re: I had an issue with a buyer which was resolved in her favor and I am very unhappy with eBay.

I am sorry this happened to you. You are right, this is the buyer's fault. I just hope the item will be returned to you eventually.

Message 2 of 15
latest reply

Re: I had an issue with a buyer which was resolved in her favor and I am very unhappy with eBay.

"I am out my item, the listing fees and commission paid to eBay, the postage I paid - everything - "

Unfortunately, these situations do happen from time to time.

You may be able to get your FVF refunded.  Contact eBay.

If you have your return address on the envelope, it will most likely be returned to you eventually.  You will get your item back.

Make sure to block that buyer.

Message 3 of 15
latest reply

I disagree, I ship ONLY with tracking for everything I've sold and while some buyers send whiny messages about the shipping, i do explain in each and every listing that I only ship to the confirmed ebay/paypal shipping addresses, that I use tracking to confirm it has been delivered, and also it gets there faster. Perhaps people listing items were they have dozens of quantities can afford to take the risk since they have more of them to sell and each one is probably profitable enough to pay for several (and I do have a few such items, and they're the only things I list without tracking). I must be doing something right because I hit powerseller level pretty dang quick. If you're selling one-of-a-kind items, they should be listed with tracking. In thousands of tracked transations online over the past twenty years (i've been selling online longer than ebay has existed and I had the very second ever bicycle shop with an online presence on the web, in the WORLD) and basically they basically don't go missing though the tracking systems can at times be slow to update where they are, especially if international customs are involved.

That being said, tracked packages do still get damaged in transit from time to time, all the barcodes on the labels really guarantee is that you won't get a postal employee helping themselves to your package as there's the coding to track where it was when it goes "missing", ie... it comes into a sorting center and then vanishes between two scanners on one conveyor belt... you still get the "oh i'm **bleep** at my supervisor today so I'm going to drop this pallet of boxes off the end of the forklift onto the concrete floor" though.

Or in the case of a buyer i'm dealing with this week, who's exhibiting signs of being a lives-in-mom's basement spends too much time playing fantasy games aspbergers perfectionist nutbar, has probably **bleep** off his postal delivery person and they're damaging packages they deliver to him, because he claims the box he got had a hole punctured thru it... and it didn't go out that way, and the damage to the pieces inside could only be achieved thru blunt force using a hammer or crowbar.

Message 4 of 15
latest reply

I disagree, I ship ONLY with tracking for everything I've sold and while some buyers send whiny messages about the shipping, i do explain in each and every listing that I only ship to the confirmed ebay/paypal shipping addresses, that I use tracking to confirm it has been delivered, and also it gets there faster. Perhaps people listing items were they have dozens of quantities can afford to take the risk since they have more of them to sell and each one is probably profitable enough to pay for several (and I do have a few such items, and they're the only things I list without tracking). I must be doing something right because I hit powerseller level pretty dang quick. If you're selling one-of-a-kind items, they should be listed with tracking. In thousands of tracked transations online over the past twenty years (i've been selling online longer than ebay has existed and I had the very second ever bicycle shop with an online presence on the web, in the WORLD) and basically they basically don't go missing though the tracking systems can at times be slow to update where they are, especially if international customs are involved.

That being said, tracked packages do still get damaged in transit from time to time, all the barcodes on the labels really guarantee is that you won't get a postal employee helping themselves to your package as there's the coding to track where it was when it goes "missing", ie... it comes into a sorting center and then vanishes between two scanners on one conveyor belt... you still get the "oh i'm **bleep** at my supervisor today so I'm going to drop this pallet of boxes off the end of the forklift onto the concrete floor" though.

Or in the case of a buyer i'm dealing with this week, who's exhibiting signs of being a lives-in-mom's basement spends too much time playing fantasy games aspbergers perfectionist nutbar, has probably **bleep** off his postal delivery person and they're damaging packages they deliver to him, because he claims the box he got had a hole punctured thru it... and it didn't go out that way, and the damage to the pieces inside could only be achieved thru blunt force using a hammer or crowbar.

Firstly, congrats on your successes.

I can only talk from personal experience. Approx 1800 items shipped in 2013. Approx 1750 shipped with no tracking. 2 INR claims for a total of approx $40. I can't help but think you may be doing yourself a dis-service by insisting on the quite expensive small packet tracking on the many under $50 items you sell.

If your buyers are willing to pay the total, (item & shipping)  why not use non tracking and put the difference in your selling price, having it end up in your pocket instead?

Unless I am totally missing something here........

Message 5 of 15
latest reply

because i don't want to be one of those sellers.

Message 6 of 15
latest reply

Also because I ship internationally... and many items don't qualify for airmail small package due to dimensional/weight issues, its pointless to quote the cheapest method of shipping because I would literally be INVITING INR claims all the time.

Message 7 of 15
latest reply

its pointless to quote the cheapest method of shipping because I would literally be INVITING INR claims all the time.

Is that from personal experience or assumption?

Message 8 of 15
latest reply

personal experience.
Message 9 of 15
latest reply

As mentioned earlier in this thread, I have had a grand total of 2 INR's, shipped international, no tracking, out of about 1700 or so transactions this past year. Yours has been.....?

Message 10 of 15
latest reply

More, but then I'm selling real tangible goods not old stereo manuals.
Message 11 of 15
latest reply

More, but then I'm selling real tangible goods not old stereo manuals.

I don't understand what the commodity, or as you call it, "tangible goods"  has to do with anything. An INR is an INR, no matter what was shipped.

Again, how many INR's vrs items shipped in 2013 did you endure?

Message 12 of 15
latest reply

Anything under $59 goes lettermail when I can anything above goes with tracking..

It's different for everyone ..

If I tried to charge $12 shipping on a $4 movie I would run my business into the ground quicker then I listed my first item but that is just specific to what I sell ...

If I can add more to the buy now price and ship lettermail I will because it increases my profits...

This is a to each there own situation ... What works for you may not work for someone else ...

Message 13 of 15
latest reply

I've been there.  The new automated resolution centre is part of the problem. Buyer and I had agreed that if the item was not there by a specific date, that I would issue a full refund.  Customer, via the resolution center advised on the date that we agreed that it had not arrived.  The system automatically escalated it and I they automatically ruled in buyers favor.  I contacted eBay to complain and was told...should have issued refund automatically before that date...anyway regardless of what discussion thread said, eBay said too bad.  These ?&%*( who answer these lines don`t get it at all.  Kicker is that they don`t get that Canada is different from the USA.

On a positive note there maybe a way to get this reversed.  At least you may be able to get your fees etc back.  Unfortunately you will have to wait out CPC for your item.

Go into Customer Support - The in question section - Report a Buyer - the go and report the buyer for this item for misusing eBays Full Money Back Guarantee

What happened to you is the CUSTOMERS fault, not YOURS.  The address in PayPal most probably was a confirmed address, maybe be previous address but confirmed none-the-less.  Also you can are only going on customers word that they didn`t leave a forwarding address with the post office.

Just a thought but certainly worth a try.  This was an error that any one of us could have made.

Good Luck

Message 14 of 15
latest reply

I agree with you, 'liz4234' -- this was sloppiness on the part of the buyer who then benefited from eBay's system and left the seller holding the (empty) bag. 

The OP has nothing to lose at this point by reporting the buyer, assuming the time to do so hasn't expired.  He might even want to try contacting Paypal to explain the case as well and see what they say. 

Although my understanding is that Paypal no longer requiresbuyers to have a Confirmed Address in order to protect sellers, it may not be a bad idea to set up preferences to exclude buyers without a Paypal Confirmed Address. 

I think (although I'm not 100% certain) this might protect a seller in a case where a buyer changes address without updating their Paypal account.  If a new address a buyer gives a seller doesn't match what was on file with Paypal as their credit card address, and the seller has specified Confirmed Address only, the outcome might be different in terms of the INR claim. 

In any event, I agree this was the buyer's fault and that too much automation in the dispute/returns process makes it difficult for the specifics of a particular case to be taken into account. 

Message 15 of 15
latest reply