I have decided to use fedex express for all my shipments. Please join pool...

aabros
Community Member
I have decided to use fedex express for all my shipments. 2-day service (economy) or overnight (priority) to the USA and overnight to canada.

We need other sellers to join this so we can save some $$$ and get a big discount.

Todd; we surely need your help here. Anyway, please give me some advice/tips on how to set this up. I can't wait to see my overnight parcels (in the free fedex box) cost me only $168-$19 CDN...

Thanks for your help.
-Anthony
Message 1 of 37
latest reply
36 REPLIES 36

aabros
Community Member
sorry... $16-$19 I meant (lol)
Message 2 of 37
latest reply

acurael
Community Member
Why fedex over UPS?

Anytime I've priced them UPS always comes out cheaper - and that's not even factoring in fedex's "residential surcharge"

I've gotten word from my ups rep that they are working on a deal for ebay PS'ers.
Message 3 of 37
latest reply

aabros
Community Member
UPS would be great also! anything except fedex ground and canada post... let me know what's that " working on a deal for ebay PS'ers" acurael ??
Message 4 of 37
latest reply

acurael
Community Member
they = ups management

no word on eta, but my UPS rep said this was something that was announced recently at a national meeting of ups account managers.
Message 5 of 37
latest reply

aabros
Community Member
sweet
Message 6 of 37
latest reply

souranial
Community Member

acurael - and my UPS rep also said that they are changing from brown to fuschia!just kidding. Those reps all talk BS. I was also told that they had already established a pool and the rates would be much much much lower (see my post on "The UPS Solution" - this was what I understood from my rep and other execs at UPS.) This, as we can all see is not the case - there is no such a thing yet!
acurael, I WISH that there was and truely HOPE that what your rep told you was true as that would make life for all of us a dream come true!

I am interested in pooling and if you need any help to set it up or get any new information, I would love to hear it!

Thanks a bunch!

-Daniel

Message 7 of 37
latest reply

acurael
Community Member
Daniel,

My last rep was slimy as could be - the stereotypical "sales person" ala glengarry ross.

The one I've had for the past year I trust almost completely - we've become good friends - golfed together almost every day this past summer. So when he tells me that a discount for ebay PS'ers is something that UPS is working on I believe him.

As far as pooling outside of that discount, it's certainly possible - I think you're the one I talked to via email?
Message 8 of 37
latest reply

aabros
Community Member
yes, right on acurael!
Message 9 of 37
latest reply

souranial
Community Member

Yup acurael, we did talk via e-mail and I am so glad to hear that your rep is trustworthy! That is a HUGE plus!! If he could update us on what is being done and if there is anything that we can do to pick up the pace, we should. We should really get this done as soon as we can so that it does not drag off for another year!

Thanks again acurael! It is really good news to hear!

Message 10 of 37
latest reply

hugelyimpressive
Community Member
How would a pool work? I'd be interested. Not many of my parcels (currently) would qualify, so I doubt the likes of UPS would be interested in me on my own.

Ashley
Message 11 of 37
latest reply

noblewoodtreasures
Community Member
What are the qualifications for this program (parcel sizes, ship from/ship to, etc.). We, up until now, have used Canada Post only. We checked UPS and Fedex when we first got going on eBay and found their prices to be way more expensive.

I get the feeling we are missing something here...
Message 12 of 37
latest reply

aabros
Community Member
we would have to look into it... to see if it would be worth it to go with a private courier company, rather than CP...
Message 13 of 37
latest reply

your-chic-shopper
Community Member
I am in no means shooting anything down. I think other shipping alternatives are great

However , if you are a volume seller or time is important

Please note that with the Courier companies they expect the following

1) Lot's of Documentation ~generally triplicate
2) Lot's of Data entry
3) NEW American Customers SIN # or Federal ID

#3 is the hardest all of :The major Courier companies are starting to require this . As a EBay seller , it will be difficult to get this through email. If you do get it , you will have to spend time explaining . Often this can be 3 or 4 letter back and forth to the customer . This is only going to delay the shipping process , and cause less stream lining of your business
Message 14 of 37
latest reply

deltone
Community Member
They want the buyer's SS# or SIN#? That's ridiculous. How many people would be willing to give that? Why the heck would they need that? Unbelievable!!!!! Next thing you know you'll have to sign over your first born!!!
Message 15 of 37
latest reply

acurael
Community Member
1) Lots of documentation is true if you're filling out manual waybills and customs forms (their carbon though, so the double and triplicate come out on their own)

If you're using the shipping software (UPS anyway) the needed forms all print together (4 pages for the first page, 1 page for each additional one) Fold them, stick in UPS supplied pouch. Done

2) I don't think this is true - copy and paste phone number, zip code (UPS looks up the city/state or city/province and fill automatically), address, name, business name if applicable. You can also paste in their email address and UPS will email them automatically.

You do need to hit the commercial invoice page and enter the description of goods. Quantity, description, country of origin and value. But you can enter this all into a database once, then it's just select the item(s) from a drop down box.

Back on the main page, enter the package weight(s) and dimensions, insured value, then select service level. Print

3) We've never had this requested. Ever. And we ship lots of packages by UPS to the USA.

It takes less than a minute from the time I receive a payment notification until I'm done the order and ready to put the pouch on the package.

Wade
Message 16 of 37
latest reply

souranial
Community Member

Wade, my experiences are similar!
I just got off the phone with UPS and they also said that the SS# or SIN# are absolutely not required. These ARE required if you are importing things from "ASIA, AUSTRALIA, ANTARTICA, and JAPAN" (I dont know why they didnt include Japan as part of Asia but that is beyond me!) That is a direct quote from the rep.

Also, just like CP, UPS can send you pre-filled in waybills and stickers and customs documentation (only usefull if you ship mainly the same item all the time like myself - shawls) and packs and envelopes and boxes where all you have to fill in is the customers name and address and sign.

I love UPS but if FedEx is cheaper than so be it!
I would love to pool UPS though - their services are SO reliable! I have sent over 1800 packages with them this year and not 1 problem! NOT ONE! Wish I could say that for CP! Actually I had one "problem" with UPS. They had a problem with the zipcode of where the item is going to (I must have mistyped it) and they left me a nice message on my voicemail: "Dear Daniel, This is UPS Calling, just letting you know that there was a problem with the zipcode on package such and such to such and such a person and we corrected it free of charge and there will be no delay in delivery. Thank you for choosing UPS."

-Daniel

Message 17 of 37
latest reply

ospreylinks
Community Member
Gee Daniel, that is a great story about UPS and the address correction. I want your rep. We have had a couple of address errors and when the bill arrives, there is usually a $6.00 error correction charge.

I concur that their service, delivery and back-up services are second to none...

We use UPS for US bound large item shipments, but for smaller stuff, have found CP a cheaper and good reliable alternative. (not quite the bells and whistles of UPS, but that is why I can save about 40% with CP shipping clubs across Canada over UPS)

Jeff

Jeff
Message 18 of 37
latest reply

spidermanuj
Community Member
I want to join the pool. What do I need to do? I mainly ship to international destinations (UK/Australia)
Message 19 of 37
latest reply

souranial
Community Member

Jeff,

I have heard that they charge a correction fee but my packages go through quite the check before being sent.
Firstly, the program checks and the driver (amazingly knowledeable!) checks and my rep I guess also checks!

Also, I too ship with CP for lack of a a better method that doesnt cost over $15.00 but if we pool we could get up to 50% off! That would mean 6 day delivery for $6.00 - THAT IS PERFECT!

Hope to hear more about the UPS pool.

Daniel

Message 20 of 37
latest reply