I just realised that ebay also charges a final value fee on shipping. That is insane!

I charge shipping based on what shipping actually costs. Why do I have to pay a fee on that? What a giant rip off!!! This really makes me mad!!!!! Grrrr!!!!

Message 1 of 15
latest reply
14 REPLIES 14

I just realised that ebay also charges a final value fee on shipping. That is insane!

They've been doing that for a few years now. I don't like it either. Just include the extra charge in your shipping fee.

Message 2 of 15
latest reply

Definately cuts down on sales,some items i ship are quite heavy like an amplifier for instance might be 50.00 add another 5.oo for ebay and now you have a customer wondering why so much for shipping?I get that all the time, Greed comes to mind

Message 3 of 15
latest reply

They do it for two reasons.

Because Amazon has always done it and their sellers don't complain.

And to prevent the once prevalent practice of asking 99 cents for the item and charging $99.00 for the shipping.

Now eBay pushes 'Free Shipping' which means including the cost of shipping in the asking price. And yes, the seller pays selling FVFs on that too, but it is often lower than the straight 10% on shipping.

Which is cheapest?

A $5 item with $10 shipping

A $10 item with $5 shipping

A $15 item with Free Shipping?

Which is most likely to attract buyers? Which has the lowest fees?

You are allowed to add a Handling Charge to shipping fees. This does not appear on your buyer's invoice as a line item.

BTW, even if you are charging 'exact postage' you are charging your customer handling fees, (tax, fuel surtax, insurance, packaging and eBay/ Paypal fees). They are just being taken out of your selling price.

Message 4 of 15
latest reply

What shipping actually costs:

• Marketplace and merchant account fees
  • Packaging
  • Labor
  • Insurance/shrink factor
  • Fuel costs factor
  • Oh and the cost of postage!
Message 5 of 15
latest reply

Thank you for your reply. Makes sense. So which of those three scenarios works out to be the best way to go I wonder? I guess I have to refresh my knowledge on all the various fees to figure that out, but do you know the answer to that?

Message 6 of 15
latest reply

@miscoutreasures wrote:

Thank you for your reply. Makes sense. So which of those three scenarios works out to be the best way to go I wonder? I guess I have to refresh my knowledge on all the various fees to figure that out, but do you know the answer to that?

Keep one of the ebay/paypal calculator pages bookmarked. Here is an example of one to reference.

Message 7 of 15
latest reply

Note that if you have "Free shipping" domestically, you do not pay and fees on any non-domestic shipping.

For example, I list on .COM and I use free shipping.

So when my international folks pay say $5.50 shipping, because my domestic (to the USA) shipping is free, I'm not charged shipping fees non-domestically.....
Message 8 of 15
latest reply

Arggggg grammar problem, my last sentence should say I'm not charged ebay fess on my non-domestic shipping charge.
Message 9 of 15
latest reply

hen they brought in the FVF on shipping,  they decreased other fees. My overall fees dropped.

Photobucket
Message 10 of 15
latest reply

@mr.elmwood wrote:

hen they brought in the FVF on shipping,  they decreased other fees. My overall fees dropped.

My fees didn't drop, they went up.

Message 11 of 15
latest reply

I too use calculated shipping with no handling fee and most of the time further subsidize the cost of postage by a dollar or two just to keep postage costs down. 

And I feel pointlessly proud of myself when I can keep the FVFees on Shipping on my invoice under $5 in a month but all it really means is that I rolled the postage cost into the asking price and, with a higher asking price, paid a slightly higher FVF on the sale of that item. Of course, the Top-Rated Seller Discount applies to FVF and not FVF on Shipping so there are some savings to be gained there.

Does it really matter how the fee pie is sliced at the end of the day? Realistically, I know the answer is 'no' but, like almost all sellers here, find the FVF on Shipping to be a tough dish to swallow. Whether or not it needs to be.

I do understand the reason it exists: I remember the bad old days where an item was 99 cents to buy but $99 to pay in postage! I have to think the shameless behaviour of those sellers ruined it for everyone.

Message 12 of 15
latest reply

So which of those three scenarios works out to be the best way to go I wonder?

That's up to you and your knowledge of your customers.

Are your customers shopping on a phone? Free Shipping makes this easier for impulse buyers.

Do your customers buy the cheapest one you have? They may like to see the low asking and then add on the (reasonable) shipping.

Are your items unique? Your customer is likely to have been looking for a while and is ready to buy at your price, even if it is "inflated" with the shipping.

My items are unusual ( vintage books, postcards, dress patterns). I include shipping for anything I can ship by letterpost and use a separate Calculated Shipping for thicker books.

Message 13 of 15
latest reply

@miscoutreasures wrote:

I charge shipping based on what shipping actually costs. Why do I have to pay a fee on that? ...

Been like that on eBay for years now.

* first to discourage those who overinflated their shipping charge to avoid Final Value Fees

* to encourage sellers to include shipping in their selling price. In advertising jargon: the "free shipping" term, rather than the more accurate "shipping included". The old FVF rules penalized those with shipping included in the sale price.

* Reduce the cost with planning: The current FVF on shipping is based on either the actual ship cost or the first domestic shipping rate you have on your listing. Whichever is lower.  So if you have $10 domestic and $30 international, the FVF shipping charge on an international sale will be based on $10 not $30.

For eBay.ca Canada is domestic, if selling on eBay.com, the USA is domestic. And if you have more than one domestic rate, make sure the lowest one comes first.

* Save through shipping: For the small seller, buy your shipping through PayPal, it is often cheaper than Canada Post. The default eBay calculated shipping price is the standard Canada Post value, not the discounted paypal rate. For expedited parcel in Canada the difference in the two prices covers the extra you pay in FVF shipping fees.

-.-

Message 14 of 15
latest reply

@miscoutreasures wrote:

It isn't an easy answer as it depends on the nature of what you sell, how similar sellers in your niche handle shipping, and how competitive your niche is. Here are some things to consider.

Free shipping 

• Pro - If you rarely sell multiple, different items to a customer this is the easiest way for a customer to gauge prices/checkout. Eliminates some of the add to cart headaches as a portion of buyers won't mind checking out individually for each item if they think they aren't paying for shipping each time (in fact they are). Free gets you extra visibility in some searches.
  • Con - If a customer buys multiple items they are essentially paying for shipping multiple times. Savvy buyers know this and may consider the seller to be ripping them off if a discount isn't offered. Easiest way to make yourself uncompetitive in categories where customers are likely to buy multiple items in a single purchase from a seller.
  • Con - Canadian regional shipping costs can't be accurately reflected unless you are using lettermail with small items. You'll charge not enough for distant customers, and charge too much for closer/major metro customers possibly making you uncompetitive.

Building a portion of the shipping cost into item prices:

• Pro - may make your shipping prices seem more reasonable. Somewhat easier to setup shipping rules for each additional item
  • Con - raising your base item cost makes you look uncompetitive to buyers not well versed in shipping costs. Higher base costs means buying multiple items looks more expensive to buyers not well versed in shipping costs.

Calculated shipping:

• Pro - accurately reflects shipping costs so you cover costs for expensive areas to deliver to while showing the lowest cost for nearby/metro areas. Safest way to avoid losing money on shipping.
  • Con - eBay's shopping carts are not compatible between .com and .ca making the add to cart process a farce for US buyers, requiring work arounds many will not have the patience for. Especially problematic for mobile buyers.
  • Con - overly simplistic calculated shipping implementation for multi-item rate calculation means you'll often overcharge for shipping due to how cubing is handled. Setting up promotional rules to cap costs can help if you typically sell in a given weight range.

I stick with calculated shipping for Canada, and go with a mix of calculated or flat rate for international with rules per additional item as everything I sell goes parcel post. Doing so allows me to be competitive with, and undercut in many cases, Chinese sellers who load shipping costs into every item. They may be slightly cheaper on a single item, but with each additional item I continue to undercut them, while not sacrificing any margin. It does however mean I have to work with some buyers on the add to cart issue so there are tradeoffs as the extra time coaching a customer can lead to lost sales/cart abandonment.

Mostly I wish they would fix the kindergarden level shipping implementation. More experienced sellers need a more sophisticated shipping setup in line with what most open source ecommerce platforms offer these days. There needs to be more flexibility, ie: use a set box dimension and only add additional weight for each item, use a 3d packing algorithm that automatically determines the correct box size to use for cubing (rather than simply adding all dimensions), separate shipping rules for groups of, or individual, countries to reflect the varying international shipping costs, etc.

These sort of limitations are why many sellers go the route of offering free shipping, which raises its own issues in terms of how competitive you are. If you sell one off items where buyers rarely buy anything else you offer then free shipping can simplify things. The most sophisticated buyers will consider the total cost of the transaction, but many buyers aren't that sophisticated.

Message 15 of 15
latest reply