I just requested to return a defective item.

The item is a camping knife (item id# 111690403546) , I only paid $11 for it,received it and after a couple of tries  the "assisted opening" mechanism( which is a cheap spring) broke.

Emailed the seller and asked what he is willing to do,did not get a reply.,I had already left a positive FB but left a negative follow up.

Today I started the procedure to return the item.

My question is: will the seller receive a defect as the result of my request to return the knife?

I don't know any other way to warn other buyers , I can not name him here ,can not change my positive FB to negative,  can not send him the knife back without costing me more than what I already paid, so all I'm left is, to add to his collection of defects , hoping some day he'll be forced out of selling defective/fake items .I just can not stand a bad seller to keep on selling  defective items  with impunity.

So ,will he get an automatic defect?

Message 1 of 3
latest reply
2 REPLIES 2

They should get a defect when you opened the return request if you said that the item was damaged or not as described. If they fight the case and ebay rules in their favour, then the defect would be removed.  If you don't return it there is a chance that they could try to get the defect taken off but I don't know how effective that would be.  It looks like the seller is in Asia so I doubt whether they would try to fight the claim or try to get the defect taken off.

You should try to make use of the MBG. If the seller doesn't respond to the return request or tells you to return the item for a refund but does not provide you with a return label as per the MBG you can ask ebay to step in.  I realize that an Asian seller would be unable to provide you with a label anyway but in theory, they could send you the money for postage.  Supposedly ebay will refund you if you ask them to step in. I don't know if it is a courtesy refund or if they force the seller to refund you but I would be curious to see how it works it. If I were you, I would try just to see how the system works.

Message 2 of 3
latest reply

I would be curious to see how it works it. If I were you, I would try just to see how the system works.

That's one of the reasons I initiated the "request to return" procedure,just to see how ebay reacts when a low valued item is involved, I have never done this before so I'm curious to find out how far this request will be taken.

Thank you BTW for your comment ,it's very much appreciated.

Ken.

Message 3 of 3
latest reply