I'm not sure how to proceed with buyer after being ripped apart-HELP?!

kidsndolls
Community Member
I have never left a message here before..its my first time. I am honestly at a loss as to how to proceed with this "gentlemen".

I sold an I LOVE LUCY high end collectable (350.00 US) to a buyer in the US. He bid and won Dec.1st. I emailed him 3 times during 9 days requesting some kind of communication from him, as he did not reply to any of my emails. I sent an invoice through paypal and then after the 8th day, I sent him a reminder to pay through ebay. Also, as ebay suggests to try to work things out first..I received his contact information and called the telephone number that ebay provided me with. My message was short and friendly, as in "Hi, just a courtesty call to let you know that your parcel is ready to go and how can we get this transaction finalzied. This message was left on voice mail, as he did not answer. NEVER was any email that I wrote nasty or rude in anyway. That is not how I conduct myself. Well...on the day that he received the reminder to pay from ebay, this is the email I got from him.
Brenda-

What my intentions are? When I bid on an item I want the item and always pay for the item. THAT IS WHAT MY INTENTIONS WERE. However, your harassment has now made me seriously reconsider. If I had known that you were the seller that had listed the auction item I wouldn't have bid on it in the first place due to the reputation that you have developed for yourself with other Lucy Memorabilia Collectors. This item just closed on December 1, and I am out of town on business and WILL NOT be able to transfer the money for payment until I return on Tuesday or Wednesday of this next week. BUT since this appears to be unacceptable to you, then I won't be able to purchase the item and you can continue with whatever action that you have already begun with Ebay. If you had meant " PAYMENT IS REQUIRED INSTANTLY ON THE DAY OF CLOSE, then perhaps you should have stated that and I in turn would not have bid on the item. I mean Brenda, you are simply OUT OF CONTROL! I think that you are a bit overboard having 1.) emailed me more than five times; 2.)Calling my cell phone and leaving messages and 3.) reporting this item as unpaid to E-Bay within 6 days of the final closing of the item. Not all of us have the luxury of doing nothing besides ebay and I feel that your actions were truly unnecessary, unwarranted and inexcusably rude. Never with all of my Ebay experiences have I ever dealt with a seller whose actions and business etiquette are as ludicrous as what you have shown. I WILL follow up on the complaint that you have begun with Ebay and file the same one that I am sending you at this time. Ebay will surely be able to review my past purchase history and see that it is 100% VOID of any non-payment, negative or fraudulent actions. I suggest they review yours for the same.

NOW.....during the 9 days that he said that he did not have any access to a computer, he bid and won a number of other items from other sellers, hence..why could he not at least email me and say "Hey, I am out of town, and I will be back....and then I will get money forwarded"..etc.
Truthfully, I really am not concerned about "when" he will pay. It is just that experience shows...if you do not hear anything from a buyer in over a week..and especially you can see that they are still bidding on other auctions, ...what are you supposed to think? I believe it is just plain common decency to at the very least respond to email.
If you see my feedback, I can not imagine why he would make such claims about my reputation and I was really really HURT by it. Also...I have four kids and run a store of my own selling childrens wear...so, Ebay is not my only LUXURY as he stated.

"WHAT WOULD YOU DO???"
Message 1 of 15
latest reply
14 REPLIES 14

kidsndolls
Community Member
PS.. In his email he said that I left messageS on his cell phone. PLEASE. He lives in TExas and I live in Canada. ONE and ONLY ONE long distance call was made, and how would I know it was a cell phone. It is the number that ebay gave me. He said I emailed him more than 5 times, which isnt true either. Also...how can I send a reminder to pay thru ebay after 6 days of item closing..you cant until after the 8th day.
Having just re-read his email again, makes me even more frustrated. I guess...what bothers me the most is, 'why is he ripping me apart, when all I did was the 'usual protocol'. I work hard for my customers. I offered FREE shipping on this item,....and I am NOT the person he described in his email.

Signed,
Frustrated, Hurt and Torn Apart 😞
Message 2 of 15
latest reply

flameonglass
Community Member
This guy is a jerk. Don't let him upset you like this. He obviously thinks 'the best defense is offense' & this is how he justifies his shortcomings. File a UID, put him out of your mind & enjoy the Holiday season.
Message 3 of 15
latest reply

catseye*
Community Member
File the UPI, and put the facts in - the dates and contact you made.

I'm surprised you're so patient, I file UPI on the 8th day, with a reminder on the 3rd.

*JMHO* - to be taken with a grain of salt!
Message 4 of 15
latest reply

catseye*
Community Member
HOWEVER, you make no mention in your auction when you expect payment to be made by. You might want to rethink that.

*JMHO* - to be taken with a grain of salt!
Message 5 of 15
latest reply

filed the UPI, collect your final value fee credit, and send a second chance offer to the next highest bidder. Don't let him upset you. Happy Holidays!
Message 6 of 15
latest reply

kidsndolls
Community Member
Hi, It isnt the fact that it hasnt been paid for yet...it is more the fact that this person did NOT respond to any emails, and then when he did...it was just to tear a strip off of me. I am patient, and I dont mind waiting for payment, but...I do feel it is extremely important, at the very least, to correspond to let each other know where you stand. Don't you agree? I appreciate any feedback I can get with this, because as it stands, I dont know whether or not this person has any intention of paying. If he does, I have a strong feeling that no matter what I do, I am going to be left with nasty feedback, even though, I have done NOTHING to deserve it.
Message 7 of 15
latest reply

Start the unpaid process against him, then sit back and wait. See what happens for a few days. The guy is very defensive so step back. I understand your frustration, that is alot of money to be waiting payment for. If he doesn't pay within a week, send a reminder to him. Do not leave feedback first and do not block him from bidding on your items until the entire transaction is complete. If he negs you first, you can neg him back. Let him make the next move.
Message 8 of 15
latest reply

Yes, he is being a dork, don't take it personal. If I got torn apart over every problem I've had, I'd be in "mondopieces"! Like the people above said, don't let him ruin your holidays. The buyers who have dealt with you know your reputation and YOU know your reputation. State your feedback policies and payment expectations in your postings. The more info you include, the better you can cover your butt! Happy Christmas! 🙂
Message 9 of 15
latest reply

nxtdriver
Community Member
Sounds like he bought something that he doesn't want and is claiming you being the 'instigator and attacker' that he can get away without paying for the item. I had a buyer that found the same item he bought from me cheaper from another auction and refused to pay me. There are alot of undesireable people out there, too bad they are on EBAY.
Message 10 of 15
latest reply

kidsndolls
Community Member
I see that he has paid for all of the other auctions, except for the auction that he won from me. This leads me to believe he has no intention of paying for it. Would you recommend giving a neg. feedback to him, even though you know you yourself are going to get one in return, "even though that is so not fair".
Message 11 of 15
latest reply

redsniper88
Community Member
I agree with nxtdriver...the buyer obviously got 'caught up in the moment' of bidding and after he won, he realized he bid a lot higher than what he really wanted to pay. I would send out a 2nd chance offer to the next bidder (or relist). Block this buyer and file for your FVC. You did everything you could and he was just being a badboy about it all. Forget him. There are a lot of other great buyers on eBay. Don't let this one rotten egg upset you. You are where you are because you're obviously a good person to trade with. You're doing something right 🙂
Message 12 of 15
latest reply

Here is where the new feedback rules can help you:

1. File your Unpaid Item Dispute, selecting "Payment not received by buyer".

2. If he is true to his word, he will not respond and allow you to "continue whatever action you have started with eBay". For your sake, hope he does NOT respond to the UID.

3. After the seven days you close the UID and get your FVF back.

4. Leave a professionally worded NEG in his feedback explaining how he refused to pay and was unreasonable.

5. He will, of course, leave a NEG back for you. However because he did not participate in the UID eBay will automatically remove his Neg. They will do this because they thus spake:

"Beginning today, we will automatically remove feedback ratings left by buyers who do not respond to the Unpaid Item process on eBay. This means the rating (whether positive, neutral or negative) will no longer affect the recipient's feedback score, although the feedback comment itself will remain. An administrative note from eBay will be added to the comment, indicating that the feedback rating was removed because the member did not participate in the Unpaid Item process on eBay. This is a global change and will affect all eBay sites."

6. Enjoy.

Ernie.
Message 13 of 15
latest reply

whoscloset
Community Member
The guy is a goof.

Having said that, why do you spend so much time chasing NPBs? I send an invoice immediately after purchase, a reminder 3 days later, and then file a NPB on the 7th day if the buyer has not contacted me. If they contact me I'll wait much longer, but if not I just file the NPB on the 7th day and move on. In 90% of the cases they quietly pay up after receiving that notice.

Monique

Monique

Message 14 of 15
latest reply

1dealsavers
Community Member
Its all BULL - he does not want to pay for such an expensive item OR found it cheaper somewhere and wants to backout - NEG him.

Too many sellers are afaid of NF - so they lose to buyers everytime.

Neg him - he will neg you too I am sure- then wait...
If he has 100% - it is his to lose for being a pain in the a%%

90% will accept removal after if you institute it
for 350.00 he would get a SERIOUS Neg and reports all around.

Buy and dont pay - MAKE THEM PAY>
Message 15 of 15
latest reply