I made a noob mistake will I get in trouble?

chaldyth
Community Member

I won auction,

I went to pay with paypal but instead of choosing the credit card option I click the paypal option by mistake. Now usally this woul not be a issue but I have no funds in my paypal account. My paypal is linked to my bank account so it started a bank transfer, again no issue lots of money in there.

The issue is I am in Canada and it taks 6-8 business days for bank transfers to complete to Paypal. 

Will I get into trouble for not completing the sales in the 48 hours you are usually given to complete it? I sent the seller a email with the screen shots of the recepits from both Paypal and Ebay and explained the situation but is this enough?

I read a ton on Ebay before ever even bidding on a item thought I half knew what I was doing but apparetly there are many fine points to grasp that one will not pick up until they do it by trail and error.

-

Message 1 of 9
latest reply
8 REPLIES 8

AS long as you have money in your bank account and a credit card

registered with paypal then it should go through as an Instant Transfer.

It works that way for me.

Go to your paypal account and see if it says the transaction is completed.

Message 2 of 9
latest reply

You've paid by something called an "eCheck" and it's perfectly fine.

If a seller accepts PayPal as payment they have to accept eChecks.

Where did you see that you always have to pay within 48hrs? It's always best to pay a seller as soon as you can, afterall it is a business for most, but there is no 48hr rule. Keep in mind though that a seller can open a "Unpaid Item Dispute" after 4 days of non-payment.

But you've paid, so no worries.

Message 3 of 9
latest reply

Thanks that clears it up for me. I must have confused the 4 day rule with 48 hout somehow.

Message 4 of 9
latest reply

Ah I tried to set up instant transfer like you suggested but ran into another issue with a new address. We recenetly moved and they need evidence of a new mailing address. Will have to contact the CC company and get stuff changed around.

Message 5 of 9
latest reply

US sellers can open Unpaid Item Disputes in 48 hours. The rest of us have to wait 96 hours (four days).

However, since you did make the payment, even though it has not cleared, the seller can't successfully open a UID.

It would be a good idea to message your seller and explain the problem. Most e-cheques do seem to clear faster than a week, but it is always a good idea to be pessimistic about this.

You realize, of course, that your seller cannot print your shipping label through Paypal until the cheque actually clears? This will create a delay in shipping.

Message 6 of 9
latest reply

I already contacted him. He is also a Candian so he know it takes 6-8 days for Canadians to clear more then the US , Did not realize Ebay was so autmated to be truthful. As for the shipping times not really a issue nor am I in a rush. Was more concered about simply doing things right and learning from my mistakes. While at the same time not pissing of sellers. 

Plan to do a lot of buying on here but going to take it slow so I can figure out the subtle nuiances.

Message 7 of 9
latest reply

i always hate to see a buyer buy a $30 item with an echeck only to see the payment fail. The banks usually charge an NSF fee around $35. Not implying OP doesn't have the money, but it's not uncommon to not have the money in a paypal linked bank account. Mine is separate from all my other finances. 

Just an FYI, there is no 24 hour or 48 hour rule. Many sellers say they expect payment within those times, and often will relist the item. Rule wise they can't do that.  You always have a minimum of 4 days before an unpaid claim starts and then 4 days after that before that claim can close. That is the shortest amount ebay allows (except for requiring immediate payment). 

Of course if the seller says 48, they may relist, and then you have an argument on your hand with them, but they cannot close your sale until after 8 days minimum. 

Message 8 of 9
latest reply

Seller cannot file Unpaid Item Dispute, unless the payment fails.

No need to send explanations, sellers acepting PayPal have agreed to accept electronic checks.

My wife has been using PayPal so often, her PayPal payments on Ebay from bank account clear instantly, she never maintains any balance on PayPal anymore.

Message 9 of 9
latest reply