I need information and or appraisal on this painting

Hi everyone,

I need information and or appraisal on this painting.

here is the pictures.

Message 1 of 5
latest reply
4 REPLIES 4

Painting, print, photo-copy, cut out of a calendar? I can't tell. What does the signature say? What does the back look like? I "think" I have seen that before, but, dog pictures all look alike to me.

Photobucket
Message 2 of 5
latest reply

It is IMPOSSIBLE to provide an appraisal based on a link online.

You need to take the item to a qualified art appraiser. 

Message 3 of 5
latest reply

Can't tell you anything about this piece from the photo, it really needs to be seen in person.

I can tell you that Mabel Gear is a known artist who produced a lot of dog paintings, lol. that being said, you can find where her works have sold at auction over $1000.

Worth getting it into an expert for appraisal.

Cheers,

thd

Message 4 of 5
latest reply

The picture looks like a print on embossed card to me. And scratched at that.

But no one can appraise on the basis of a picture online.

You are lucky that treasure. hunter is such a .... treasure. Knowing the artist is always a help.

Using a magnifier , one of the big reading glasses is okay, you don't need anything high powered, look for dots of colour. If you see them, you have a photo-lithograph, probably produced in the thousands. You can see similar printing in the pictures in your daily newspaper.

If the dots look blotchy and abstract that's a chromolithograph. Older tech, but still just a print.

If it really is a painting, the white spots are damage and missing paint, which will reduce the value.

If your town is too small to have an art gallery(or shop) and there is also no university with a Fine Arts Department, ask the local framers for the names of art appraisers. Expect to pay for the service. Expect to get a written appraisal.

Message 5 of 5
latest reply