I received invoice with shipping charges for a "free shipping" item

I read the ad very carefully and in neither the "Description" or the "Shipping and payments" tabs did the seller write anything but  "Free Shipping".

I don't want to cancel my purchase. I want to pay for and receive my item.

I have written to the seller twice and requested a new invoice but they are on another language site and have not responded.

What can I do?

Message 1 of 2
latest reply
1 REPLY 1

I received invoice with shipping charges for a "free shipping" item

Hello 'tantaron', 

Did you buy this whilst shopping from the ebay Canada page?  Sometimes sellers offer "free shipping" to buyers within their own country.  "Free shipping" just means "shipping included", -- and because it may cost very little to mail within one's own borders this is possible, but international orders are much more expensive.

Does the seller ship to Canada?  If the seller does not ship to Canada (if the shipping tab does indicate Canada) he will be annoyed that you somehow managed to buy his item.  You do not say from which country, nor what the item is.

Did you buy this using a hand-held device?  Those mobile things cause a lot of problems because all this type of information is not visible.  When you are shopping and spending money,  if you possibly can it is best to do it from a real computer.  

Shopping in the park or café from a device that fits in your pocket is fun but it frequently results in these sorts of problems.  

That is why you will see listings where in the body of the description it says "Free shipping is for the US only".  

For now, however, as you say the seller is on an international site, it would seem this is what happened.  If the seller did not intend to ship free to Canada, and his listings do not suggest he will, you will not be able to make an issue of it.  

Your choice will be to negotiate a shipping fee and have the seller invoice you for the total, - or cancel the sale.  

Or perhaps he is a newbie who made a mistake.  New users always make mistakes, irritating as that can be when we are on the other end of it.  You will not become a better person by punishing him nor can you force him to mail you an item for free.

Being on 'another language site' will not impair your seller's ability to respond.  I will assume the listing was written in English (indicating a willingness to deal with international customers) or else you have a facility in the seller's language enabling you to shop there, . . .  otherwise you might miss something.  

<< I don't want to cancel ...  I want to pay for and receive my item.  I have written to the seller twice and requested a new invoice>>

I will assume that means with an international shipping fee, yes?  I also assume you sent your notes to the seller in the same language as the listing.  It would be the height of ethnocentrism to read a listing in one language and then send a note in English expecting a comprehensive reply.  

If you cannot manage his language, send a brief, clear message in English and include this link:

https://translate.google.ca/

He probably already knows of it, but it shows you are making an effort.  Give him time to get the international shipping fee sorted out, and if it is way beyond your expectations, send another sweet note of apology saying you had no idea the cost would be so high and tell him you will need to cancel.

Be nice about it.  You want people to be nice to you, don't you.  

And if you go with the cancellation, - just click to Respond, then click to Agree, and you're off the hook.  In future, double check that the item appears on ebay Canada and clearly indicates it will ship here.

I wish you well with it. Smiley Happy

Message 2 of 2
latest reply