I was sold a fake season of the Walking Dead and paypal closed my claim, what can I do?

jujupi
Community Member

I purchased season 4, 5, and 6 of the Walking Dead here on eBay in the past month. Come to find out all 3 are fake. I own season 1-3 already and they are legit store bought copies. 

I opened a claim on all 3 after figuring out they were fakes. PayPal closed my claim on season 6 saying it didn't "meet their guidelines", so apparently you can sell people fake illegal stuff and get away with it! I don't have a job so the money I paid for these items was money I earned off art commissions, which was very little (40$ total). 

What can I do? PayPal is pretty much dead in the water with me right now, and I'm afraid of them closing my other claims. Please help me.

Message 1 of 4
latest reply
3 REPLIES 3

I was sold a fake season of the Walking Dead and paypal closed my claim, what can I do?

Paypal's usual requirement for a refund is that you return the item to the seller on your own dime and with tracking/confirmation of delivery.

This can be expensive if the seller is not in Canada.

Did you return the item? Did you use a tracked service?

If not, you cannot win a Paypal dispute.

Message 2 of 4
latest reply

One was sold from Canada, one from the US, and Season 6 came from China. I thought selling pirated copies was illegal? I had no idea they even had illegal copies of TWD seasons until I figured it out. Can I contact eBay for help?
Message 3 of 4
latest reply

As the other poster said, to win a PayPal claim you are required to mail the items back with tracking.  You can't just accuse someone of having sold you a fake item and therefore be given your money back.  Otherwise people would do it all the time, spend more than they can afford on something and regret their purchase, then say it is fake to get a refund. 

You need to be able to PROVE it is a fake.  Asserting that you yourself cleverly figured it out is not good enough.  If you are thinking you are going to teach those sellers a lesson and put them in their place, you will find it is all uphill.  I'm not arguing with you, eBay is full of fakes.  Just look up some designer handbags. 

Message 4 of 4
latest reply