I won a bid on an item and am now waiting to pay for it on paypal. Why is it taking so long?

tapioca2
Community Member

I have made a purchase on Ebay and want to pay with paypal. This my first purchase and am wondering why it is taking so long to do the transaction? My account has been established and the money has been transferred but apparently it takes 5 or 6 days to transfer. I am getting nervous about trying to do it again and possibly duplicating payment.

Ref. #6d766deb509f4621aec96da40d100fa0#

Message 1 of 2
latest reply
1 REPLY 1

I won a bid on an item and am now waiting to pay for it on paypal. Why is it taking so long?

You backed your Paypal account with your bank account? In effect, you wrote an "e-cheque" and it has to clear both the Canadian and the US banking systems before the money is credited to your seller.

This is true even if your seller is Canadian and if you paid him in Canadian dollars. Paypal is not a bank, and uses a US bank for all its transactions.

So what you face is normal. Your seller cannot even print your shipping label until that e-cheque is cleared.

It would be a good idea to add a credit card to your Paypal account. First because your payment becomes instant. As soon as you pay, the money is available to the seller* and he can print that label and ship. Second because if things go wrong , which is very rare, you have Buyer Protection not only from eBay but from your credit card company. This can be a godsend. Add the credit card as soon as possible, but it will not affect this transaction.

Since you are nervous, use Contact Seller and ask politely to be notified when the payment clears and the parcel is shipped. If he suppllies a tracking number that is nice for your peace of mind, but not otherwise useful for a buyer. And you pay for tracking.

*Well, almost. But the exceptions need not concern you.

Message 2 of 2
latest reply