If I buy on ebay ca and the seller is from an other country (us or else) will I have to pay taxes or duties

criquet75sylvie
Community Member

I leave in Ontario and want to buy an espresso machine and want to figure total amount with taxes and custom duties

Message 1 of 3
latest reply
2 REPLIES 2

If I buy on ebay ca and the seller is from an other country (us or else) will I have to pay taxes or duties

Hi .. Taxes would be your 13 % on the sale price.

Duty.. other than manufactured in US is 9% on coffee makers but somehow i thought espresso machines where exempt. Could call Customs to check...

http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/contact/bis-sif-eng.html

Shipping by mail , Canada Post charges an $8.50. clearing fee.

Couriers (UPS, FEDEX) charge an expensive brokerage fee based on declared value. Avoid , if possible.

Message 2 of 3
latest reply

Many US sellers use couriers like UPS for domestic deliveries. The service within the USA is fast, tracked, and competitively priced.

However, exports by courier are very different. Be sure that your seller will use USPS/Canada Post for shipping even a bulky item like this.

If you can't find someone who uses USPS, and you are unwilling to pay over $25 for "customs brokerage" on your doorstep, ask if  the seller will upgrade you to "priority" shipping.

Although this seems more expensive, it means that duty, brokerage and taxes are covered in the shipping fee. And at a lower cost than the doorstep price.

Message 3 of 3
latest reply