If you receive an item that has been broken during shipping..

Received the item at the post office...

When I opened the box I found my item had broken during the shipping. It is an item that still has value as only a part has been broken. The rest of the antique piece can be rescued. My main question is "can I get the item discounted ?" With this piece unbroken it adds about $50.-$75.00 to the overall value. I won the item at a good price but with it broken it changes the value.

1-Other than returning for a refund what else can be done between me and the seller??? or me and the shipping company????

2-IF I return the item who pays me back the $40.00 in Canadian customs and taxes???? (over and above the shipping costs)???

What is my next step???       Thanks

Message 1 of 4
latest reply
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

was the package insured?maybe the seller would refund you part and then he can put in claim at his post office.just suggestions.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 4
latest reply
3 REPLIES 3

was the package insured?maybe the seller would refund you part and then he can put in claim at his post office.just suggestions.

Message 2 of 4
latest reply

Talk to the seller. Be prepared to send pictures of the damage.

Be aware that the "it's damaged , can I get a discount?" question is one often asked by scammers, so the seller may want the entire thing back (with Confirmation of Delivery) before refunding in full.

Generally, sellers advise other sellers that there should be "No refunds without return." Thus the need for pictures.

2-IF I return the item who pays me back the $40.00 in Canadian customs and taxes???? (over and above the shipping costs)???

Was GSP used? If so, Pitney Bowes makes arrangements and CBSA eventually sends back the duty and tax.

If the item was sent directly, you make arrangements with CBSA . Do this before sending the item back, although you will again be waiting for the CBSA refund. 

Message 3 of 4
latest reply

Good plan...will check it out....thanks...Bob
Message 4 of 4
latest reply