Implications of Paypal Protection not covering items collected via eBay's Local Pick-up Option?

When PayPal extended their protection to 180 days from 45, it looks like they also designated items collected in person as ineligible for paypal protection.

In a situation where a buyer has requested both local pick-up and paypal payment, without tracking through the post office or courier, the seller can't prove anyone took ownership of anything.... and while paypal says they're not going to protect that kind of transaction for the buyer, it doesn't mean ebay won't step in to disallow an Item Not Received Case, will it?

I'm assuming ebay's MoneyBack Guarantee still covers it. Yes, because it was paid by Paypal. Only items 'damaged during pick-up' when pick-up by freight is arranged by the buyer are not covered by ebay's MoneyBack guarantee.

The seller would have to prove the buyer, in fact, attended the pick-up and took ownership, and that is done to the extent it would satisfy ebay criteria exactly how? 

Message 1 of 9
latest reply
8 REPLIES 8

Implications of Paypal Protection not covering items collected via eBay's Local Pick-up Option?

Never never never accept Paypal for a pickup.

Just don't.

PP uses online tracking and nothing else to confirm that the buyer has the item.

You just can't do that with pickup.

There is no problem with accepting, even demanding, cash payment on pickup.

And that's hunky dory with eBay.

If a buyer insists on using PP for a pickup, expect to be defrauded.

Cash btw could be a money order or a personal cheque (though that sounds sketchey too) or even Canadian Tire Money if you are so inclined.

But not Paypal.

If the buyer won't pay cash, don't accept the transaction.

Message 2 of 9
latest reply

Canadian Tire Money! Good idea. I've had people show with bags of coins. 

I agree wholeheartedly with your advice. Problem is that when I adjust the buyer's invoice to reflect $0.00 Local Pickup in the shipping field, there is nothing to prevent them from paying it via paypal no matter my instructions otherwise. And then I'm stuck with a paid bill and suddenly the clock is ticking to deliver it within my handling time with tracking. It might be nice if the Local Pickup option, when selected by the seller, prevented the acceptance of paypal on the order. 

Message 3 of 9
latest reply

Not covered under the MBG

Items damaged during pick-up or shipping or not delivered when the buyer arranges pick-up or shipping of the item (for instance, the buyer arranges freight).

To me that says that items picked up are not covered.

I don't think that rule in the Paypal user agreement is new. It seems to me that I read about it quite a while ago.

Message 4 of 9
latest reply

If you wish to allow Local Pickup, you need to set up your listings with those options.

There are two places in the online Sell Your Item form where you have to chose Local Pickup. Most sellers know about the Local pickup in the shipping section but do not know about the Local Pickup in the Payment section of the SYI form.

In the "Select how you'll are paid" section of the Sell Your Item form, click on the "Add or remove options" and then in the Payment section, check off "Received payment on pickup" option. Then click on Save. When the SYI refreshes, you will have an option "Other Payment methods" with "Pay on Pickup".

In the "Add shipping details" section, in the domestic shipping section, you should have the option for local pickup showing and this must be checked. If this is not showing, you have to go to "Add or remove options" again and turn it on in the Shipping section.

When the listing is live, the Shipping and Payments section will show a shipping option for Local Pickup and a Payment method for Local pickup.

Most sellers do not know here is a Payment option for Local pickup in the payment section. It was broken in the SYI form for years and I complained about it. It seems that it finally got fixed. I used to have to bulk edit my listing for the Payment option. Turbo Lister had the option also.

Now the buyer wanting to do local pickup must use both options when buying. No shipping costs, no shipping FVF fees, no payment INR issues, no PayPal fees.

The seller must update My eBay or Selling Manager that the buyer has picked up the item.

I stopped doing local pickup as they were very few. Some wanted to meet when the shipping was $1-$2 by lettermail. Driving to meet cost more than mailing, LOL. Craigslist buyer mentality when using eBay Local Pickup. Buyers do not show or show late, want to bargain when picking for a lower price, bring big bills when you ask them to bring exact change. Way too much hassle to do local pickup. Stopped 2-3 years ago doing this.

Message 5 of 9
latest reply

People will ask for a local pick up.

Even though nothing is listed with a local pickup.

Local pickups are welcomed.... But i do ask that they pay in Canadian dollars..... when item is picked up and I do allow for Canadian dollars equal to US dollars.

My most memorable local pick up....  32 books.... paid in Cash... Canadian dollars.

Sometimes  it does cost less to have it mailed... especially if it is lettermail.

Also  time constraints... or no personal vehicle  ... and sometimes  people do not want to see you face to face...  make mail delivery more acceptable.

Mail versus local pickup is about 50:50

Message 6 of 9
latest reply

Don't change the invoice with the shipping charge in it until after you are paid.

Why should you? He's coming to your house,  and between you the item gets inspected, accepted, paid and taken away. Then the seller manually marks it paid.

No money goes through PP so no PP fees are paid.

There's less to this than meets the eye.-- Talullulah Bankhead

Message 7 of 9
latest reply

Yes, two kinds of Local Pickup exist. The one in the item listing form shipping section which, when selected, prevents all other forms of postage and/or delivery and I DO NOT want that. Merely the option of letting people look through my stuff on ebay, select what they want, and then come to my place to pick-up-and-pay for it. At some points in the calendar year, this is a big selling point for me. And I don't do any trade outside ebay (obviously) because if someone is coming to my home, I certainly want to at least know ahead of time who they are and how they conduct themselves if only online. I do also have it checked in the payment options. It seems like such a simply thing to ask for: that paypal is blocked as a payment method once Local Pickup is selected but I suppose I am dreaming. I'm selling toys; they're not big ticket items but it still makes me a little uncomfortable as to the potential for a paypal payment to go awry. If the buyer later claimed an Item Not Received case, I might only be out-of-pocket a few dollars but, worse, a dishonest person has stood in my foyer and had a look at the lay of the land. I don't think I'd offer Local Pickup at all if there wasn't ALWAYS a whole house full of people here with me. It's Grand Central Station to begin with. 

Message 8 of 9
latest reply

Meet at a local mall.... in the food court....  This I have done.

Meet in the foyer of your apartment block... This I have done

Meet where there are a lot of people....  and do the exchange....  that mall as an example....

Message 9 of 9
latest reply