Inconsistent shipping fees

I've noticed something really annoying on the eBay (Canada) site lately.  If I look at an item in my watch list or while searching for an item, I see a shipping value listed.  When I open the actual item, I see a different  and higher shipping amount specified.  

Here is an example:

Item  331003148076 shows up in searches with shipping to Canada that costs US $12.55  If I open the item description, I see shipping to Canada costs $15.96  This discrepancy is driving me crazy.

Message 1 of 12
latest reply
11 REPLIES 11

I did a search and came up with the same results:

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_sop=15&_sacat=0&_from=R40&_nkw=Tales+of+Symphonia&rt=nc&_dmd=1

I looked, looked and looked again and simply cannot explain the difference.

Message 2 of 12
latest reply

I've noticed it on both .ca and .com. It sems to be on items that are going to be sent out by the Global Shipping Program. I don't know how familiar you are with the GSP but if on the search page you see Customs services and international tracking provided under the title, that is a GSP listing.

On the ones that I've noticed, if the item is less than $20, the listing itself shows a higher shipping price...usually aroun $3+....perhaps the amount of the service fee?  If the item is more than $10 and therefore has import fees, the difference seems to be a lesser amount.

I haven't checked tons of them but that is what I noticed on the ones that I did check.

Message 3 of 12
latest reply

smallmj49 wrote

Item  331003148076 shows up in searches with shipping to Canada that costs US $12.55  If I open the item description, I see shipping to Canada costs $15.96  This discrepancy is driving me crazy.

It started when ebay rolled some of the import charges into the shipping charges on the item listing. Then the listing can look like there are 0.00 import charges on low value items.

IMPORT CHARGES.JPG  

Message 4 of 12
latest reply

@chimera148 wrote:

smallmj49 wrote

It started when ebay rolled some of the import charges into the shipping charges on the item listing. Then the listing can look like there are 0.00 import charges on low value items.

IMPORT CHARGES.JPG  

I had a feeling that was what was causing the difference. But they do need to show the same shipping quote on search as what is shown within the listing. The way it is now is misleading and just annoys people.

Message 5 of 12
latest reply

@pjcdn2005 wrote:

The way it is now is misleading and just annoys people.

I agree, there is a whole lot misleading about this program for both buyers and sellers. Could it just be the way it's designed and set up to lure and trap the unaware, maybe ?

Message 6 of 12
latest reply

Hi everyone,

We're aware of the discrepancy on GSP items & looking at having it fixed - we do apologize for the inconvenience.

Non-GSP listings shouldn't be affected by this, if so, please drop me an email with the Search Results Page URL & the listing titles so we can investigate further.

Thanks, 

~Kalvin
eBay.ca Community Manager

kalvin@ebay.com

Message 7 of 12
latest reply

Ive just purchase a couple of umd video and paid for it .The seller is contacting me asking for 2.11 more because the ebay shipping cost calculator is wrong. I agree 2.11 is not mutch ,but what should i do !?!

Message 8 of 12
latest reply

It's still happening.  

Here is an example.

If I search within Video Games, sorting price + shipping lowest first for Xenoblade I get this URL:

http://www.ebay.ca/sch/Video-Games-/139973/i.html?_sop=15&_from=R40&_nkw=xenoblade

The first result shows $CAN 14.26 shipping to Canada.

If I click on the item I get this URL

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Xenoblade-Chronicles-Wii-2012-/200960010381?pt=Video_Games_Games&hash=item2ec...

which shows $CAN 17.84 shipping to Canada

This is frustrating as I buyer, but if I were a seller, I would be even more frustrated.  My customers would be getting sticker shock after they went to MY description and might blame ME.  $3 may not seem like much, but it could be the difference between a sale and no sale on low value items, especially if it is a surprise.  

Message 9 of 12
latest reply

As a Canadian buyer of Nintendo games, I avoid GSP now. I will only buy from people who have not opted in to it. The day I can't find a U.S seller without it, is the day I will have to stay inside Canada for items. The only time I've EVER been hit with customs fees are if the parcel is huge. Singe Nintendo games in a padded letter never get hit, yet they are trying to charge me for something that doesn't happen.

Pitney Bowes is slow, and the one and only parcel I ordered through GSP arrived damaged, and OPEN. That's right. The envelope was open. The first damaged and opened item I've ever had in shipping.

GSP has got to go.

Message 10 of 12
latest reply

I agree. GSP has to GO! Who in their right mind is willing to pay $30.00 +
to ship a $5.00 item. All Canadian buyers should boycot all GSP. Anything sold under $20.00 US shipped to Canada there are no additional charges anyway.
Message 11 of 12
latest reply

Hi, just seen this post. I purchased a item 251541121160 and seen it show free shipping once 6.49 shipping when I opened it up and 10.95 when I went to pay for it. Not sure what happened and not part of GSP. I want to thank you for bringing in GSP because it has saved me a lot on shipping by making me look closer at Amazon with free shipping on a lot of there items and making me rethink if I actually need an item bad enough to purchase it through Ebay and GSP. And no I am not going to email every seller and ask if they will shipping item through other means. 

Message 12 of 12
latest reply