Indian Artifacts

nan*55
Community Member

Am I missing something?

From ebay policies

Native American crafts, artifacts, cave formations (speleothems, stalactites, and stalagmites), grave-related items and any object made or reworked by humans and associated with historic or prehistoric cultures that are protected under federal laws are not permitted on eBay.

Did a search for Indian artifacts because I have afew I could sell.

got this

http://www.ebay.ca/sch/i.html?_trksid=m570.l1313.TR11.TRC1.A0.H0.Xindian+artifacts&_nkw=indian+artif...

Message 1 of 9
latest reply
8 REPLIES 8

Indian Artifacts

nan*55 wrote:

From ebay policies

Native American crafts, artifacts, cave formations (speleothems, stalactites, and stalagmites), grave-related items and any object made or reworked by humans and associated with historic or prehistoric cultures that are protected under federal laws are not permitted on eBay.

Are the items in the search protected under federal law? If not, it seems they can be listed.  (I'm sorry, I don't know if they are protected or not.)

Message 2 of 9
latest reply

Indian Artifacts

I "think" there is two levels of stuff, the sellable, ordinary, and the gravesite kinda stuff.

Photobucket
Message 3 of 9
latest reply

Indian Artifacts

How do you interrupt this?

First Nations items
First Nations human remains, gravesite-related items, and burial items may not be listed on eBay. Native American masks and "prayer sticks" from all Southwestern tribes are also prohibited. This prohibition includes Native Hawaiian human remains, gravesite-related items and burial items. Certain First Nations artifacts currently in a reserve may also not be acquired without ministerial approval.

Artifacts
The Canadian Cultural Property Export Control List defines an artifact as "an object made or reworked by a person or persons and associated with historic or prehistoric cultures". Artifacts taken from any federal, provincial, state, public, First Nations land, Inuit Land, or battlefield are prohibited for sale. This includes any military accessory, weapon or dress. Artifacts removed from certain archaeological sites may also not be sold.

eBay users intending to sell and export any objects which are culturally significant to Canada (including items from First Nations and the military, art, scientific or technological objects, texts, graphics, maps, photographs, sound recordings and musical instruments) are subject to regulation under the Canadian Cultural Property Export and Import Act. Items falling within one of the category of objects noted in the Canadian Cultural Property Export Control List established under the authority of the Canadian Cultural Property Export and Import Act may require a cultural property export permit prior to their removal from Canada. eBay users are solely responsible for compliance with the Canadian Cultural Property Export and Import Act.

Historical graves, tombstones, or related markers
These items may not be listed on eBay. While we recognize that some historical grave markers may be privately held within families and legal to sell, eBay is concerned with vandalism that has occurred in graveyards across the world, and consequently prohibits their sale on eBay.

New grave markers and burial plots
These items may be listed on eBay.

Message 4 of 9
latest reply

Indian Artifacts

nan*55
Community Member

This is the part that concerns me.

The Canadian Cultural Property Export Control List defines an artifact as "an object made or reworked by a person or persons and associated with historic or prehistoric cultures".

I have a ax tomahawk and arrowheads.

Message 5 of 9
latest reply

Indian Artifacts

I "think" someone would have to report you. The term "historic", to me, implies pre-Columbus otherwise it is just old.
Photobucket
Message 6 of 9
latest reply

Indian Artifacts

Native artifacts are a very difficult option... very difficult to define...

The best thing to do is to be safe  and not sorry.... provenance unknown.. seller be careful

It does not matter what other sellers do..... Listing on eBay is a very difficult option....   

The best recommendation is not to sell on eBay.

Native artifacts is only one category of item  where  the government has an absolute control  on the sale of such items.

Many times a government official  will step in and confiscation is the rule...

Message 7 of 9
latest reply

Indian Artifacts

I would "think" that an artifact would have to be of some sort of historical significance. Arrowheads and tomahawks, unless they can be tried to a specific individual, are very common.

The entire Bell of Batoche saga that just played out, is an example of historic.

I have a similar predicament. I have an axial handle for modular forceps. Went to list it and got a warning that only licensed sellers can sell surgical equipment.

Well, it is not so much the part, as how I was listing it. I was listing it too specifically.
Photobucket
Message 8 of 9
latest reply

Indian Artifacts

The term "historic", to me, implies pre-Columbus otherwise it is just old.

Pre- Columbian (1492 C.E.) is 'pre-historic". Before written records.

Historic refers to post-1492 items, including 20th (and possibly 21st) century items.

Message 9 of 9
latest reply