Insane USPS Priority International Charges to Canada

I have been buying on ebay since 2000, I buy a lot, I now spend 1/2 my time emailing sellers in the US and asking them to consider Ist Class International to Canada, seems a waste of time for the buyer and seller and many times a $10.00 oe $20.00 Item, lets say a patch or small pocket knife -  S/H USPS Priority $14.95 !!!!!!!

When I win an  item ,I like to "pay now", now I wait for a revised invoice from the seller and many times have to contact and quote correspondence to get 1st Class International,, as agreed I have no issue with USPS Priority when an item is over, say, $100.00 but items at $10.00 - $20.00 crazy!

Ist Class International is tracked and traceable and I expect like in Canada USPS will cover loss with receipts due to damage or lost mail.

I am at the point that I now shop on ebay based on the s/h costs - very frustrating. 

! understand from 1 seller they also add the s/h to the final fee's the sellers have to pay 9 - 11% I was told - Insanity !!

I honesty believe the sellers will loose out as Canadian Buyers will be adjusting the amount of a bid due to the outrageous s/h fee's I know I now bid based on the S/H I will be charged!

Is anyone else getting as frustrated as I am !!

Message 1 of 3
latest reply
2 REPLIES 2

One has to wonder what US buyers will say about Canada Post's new Tracked Packet USA.

Message 2 of 3
latest reply

I agree with you and have found the same issues to tiresome.

I too waste a huge amount of time emailing for shipping costs and then pestering sellers to please bill me for shipping after I've bought an item so I can pay for it.

The #1 problem with buying on ebay is the cost of shipping.

The issues have changed over the years and those described by lmt. are the most recent, but the cost of shipping has always been a point of contention between buyer and seller.

FCI (First Class International) shipping does not come with insurance.

That's a problem for US sellers.

The obvious solution would be for US sellers to use Third party insurance but most do not use those services and consider them too much trouble.

They'd rather charge and extra $15 or more for shipping than take 2 minutes to fill out the necessary forms.

You are right on.  US sellers who charge a lot for shipping and/or do not ship internationally get much less money for their  items but they are rarely aware of that.

Some don't care and are willing to settle for less.

I no longer get frustrated very often as I've come to consider this part of buying on ebay............. BUT my least favorite part.

Shipping cost issues take the fun out of buying on ebay and drive buyers away.

Buying on ebay is hard work!

Message 3 of 3
latest reply