International returns

kca7157
Community Member

Hello forum,

I am in the middle of a replacement/return issue where the seller provided a package with missing accessories. I had decided to open a return request for missing pieces in which they have accepted. They have accepted it but due messaged me stating they can't provide a return label. This is my first time returning a product but from researching I am hypothesizing this is due to an international sale (Seller being in Taiwan, me being in Canada)

Leaving the Return Case on, I have provided the seller a chance to reimburse me with the missing accessory.

So here comes my questions:

1) How do I manage international returns? Do I ship it myself and send a receipt for the seller to reimburse me later? Mind you the reason I am returning is due to missing parts.

2) The Return was accepted yesterday. How long do I have until the Return Case automatically closes? We're currently at a settlement of a replacement but from researching other threads I have decided to leave the Return Case opened as long as possible.

3) From the reviews of the seller. There are various negative and neutral comments stating the seller has issued replacements but never arrived. This purchase I've made came to me about two weeks late of the estimated time. Should I trust this seller actually providing me the replacement at a respectable time?

4) Adding on to Question 2 and 3, how long should I wait for the replacement part until I decide to take the refund route?

Honestly speaking, I may not have purchased on Ebay for a long time but this is possibly my most upsetting purchase yet. The estimated time of arrival was wrong, the package came out wrong, and there is minimal communication to satisfy my worries as this purchase is in the $40 CDN range and is considered expensive for what it is. I am hoping that the seller will be on point but for my safety I am taking these precautions.

Please advise and thank you for your time.

Message 1 of 13
latest reply
12 REPLIES 12

International returns

The seller is telling the truth about not being able to provide a return shipping label. This is just not possible when the buyer and seller are in different countries.

If you return the partial original shipment, it will be expensive to have Confirmation of Delivery. About $40 or more. Before you do this find out exactly how much this will be and tell the seller. Get his agreement to refund the return shipping cost before you buy the shipping label.

It may not be possible to get Confirmation of Delivery to Taiwan. Some countries can't or won't do this. (Taiwan is pretty First World though, better than China.)

3) NO.

4) Ask for a partial refund for the missing parts. When that arrives buy them locally. This will cost you less than the return and pray for replacement of parts and return shipping.

Message 2 of 13
latest reply

International returns

kca7157
Community Member

It's a small toy that's missing one of the accessory it should have come with. The deal with this is that the accessory is a very small bit that I don't know if the seller would actually go through the trouble to send it through. I do agree though the return cost might hurt them more than I'd like to but due to limited communication I just don't know where we could find a middle ground.

Message 3 of 13
latest reply

International returns

If you don't enter a return tracking number in the case within 30 days it will time out and close on its own. Some sellers know this and may lead the buyer on asking them to wait for a replacement which may or may not be on its way. I would probably take the replacement option off of the table. If the purchase is usable to you without the missing part, then a partial refund might work for you. But if that won't work and the seller has already agreed on a return then I would ask them for the return shipping amount before you ship. You can get a shipping estimate here - 

https://www.canadapost.ca/cpotools/apps/far/business/findARate?execution=e1s1

In order for you to have delivery confirmation which is required, you would have to use xpresspost which starts at about $70 to Taiwan. I'm going to guess the item cost much less than that so once they find out the cost, they will hopefully agree to refund you in full. If not,   you can ask ebay to step in after about 5 days. You might have to phone them at the same time to explain that you will ship the item back but that the seller is not willing to pay for the shipping or refund. Ebay will likely force them to refund you or give you a courtesy refund.

Message 4 of 13
latest reply

International returns

The big problem with international returns is that whether the buyer uses Confirmed Delivery or not, she has to pay for the return shipping and then hope that the seller refunds that cost as well.

Since the part is not, in this case, necessary to the functioning of the toy, I would ask the seller to replace the missing part. Then don't leave feedback until she has it or until Day 59 after purchase.

If the part hasn't arrived by then, appropriate feedback can be left. "Promised to replace missing part. Didn't." for example.

At the same time she will be asked to leave Detailed Seller Ratings. The normal rating is Five Stars. The lowest is ONE Star. No stars is a Free Pass.

A missing part that is not promptly replaced might get less than 5 stars on As Described.

Message 5 of 13
latest reply

International returns

The big problem with international returns is that whether the buyer uses Confirmed Delivery or not, she has to pay for the return shipping and then hope that the seller refunds that cost as well.

No, I explained what to do in my post. If the buyer says that they want a refund instead of a replacement and the seller refuses to refund and refuses to pay return postage, the buyer can ask ebay to step in. In most cases, ebay will force the seller to refund in full or give the buyer a courtesy refund.

If the buyer waits too long to ask ebay to step in, ebay will close the return case. Then the buyer does not have a complete item or a partial refund. Leaving feedback won't change that.

Message 6 of 13
latest reply

International returns

I must be doing something wrong it estimated me almost 200 dollars for a 6kg 8x6x4 in parcel

Message 7 of 13
latest reply

International returns

"6kg 8x6x4 in parcel"

small toy?  6 kilos (14 pounds)?

8x6x4 ?  inches?  Centimetres?

Message 8 of 13
latest reply

International returns

Woah okay my bad it was 159g but with xpresspost it'd end up being $70 Smiley Frustrated

Message 9 of 13
latest reply

International returns

Why would you waste $70 to return something you paid $40 for?

The seller is Taiwan has accumulated over 73 neutral and 48 negative in the last twelve months.  Not someone I would trust.

Message 10 of 13
latest reply

International returns

Wouldn't the shipping charge be their responsibility due to the fact that the return was under "missing parts"?

Message 11 of 13
latest reply

International returns

Technically it may be so BUT, be realistic, do NOT expect that seller (with over 100 neutral/negative) to give you $70 shipping for a $40 item.

Your best possible option is is try to negotiate a partial refund.  Anything else will most likely work against you.

Message 12 of 13
latest reply

International returns

Heh I'm still trying to get confirmation that they've shipped out the replacement but total silence on their end. I guess I'll have to call Ebay to step in

Message 13 of 13
latest reply