Is Ebay doing anything about donations ads? PS4 and others

I have recently found several ads advertising Sony PlayStation 4 (Latest Model)- 500 GB Jet Black Console Donations and others similar that are much less forthcoming about their intentions. They advertise as if they are selling a PS4, list a huge pile of technical information about the product, then in small print at the bottom of the ads it say You are not buying a PS4.  I am going through hard times and need money to buy one for my kids.  Sometimes there is an attempt to appeal to religious folks by saying May god bless you.  Some of these ads have gotten hundreds of dollars in bids.  

I cant help but wonder if everyone who bids understands what the ad actually is.  Have there been cases of people opening a case against these sellers for their money back?

I have reported several of these ads so far but I still see them on the site.  I don't think anything is being done.  Is Ebay going to allow this form of eBegging??? It is a clear violation of their Charitable donations policy and is potentially (or most likely) a scam.  

If Ebay is going to allow this, they should just create a category devoted to these types of ads.  People could just hold out their binary hats for whatever reason they need or choose without trying to trick or confuse people.  Heck, I could use some donations toward my student loan.  

Any takers...?

Message 1 of 7
latest reply
6 REPLIES 6

Re: Is Ebay doing anything about donations ads? PS4 and others

I haven't really looked at any istings like this but .....Wow. I am sure that those bidders think that they are bidding on a playstation....$140 U.S. so far. That is so misleading and dishonest!  I'm sure that those listings aren't allowed, even the ones that are less misleading but it doesn't seem as if anything is being done about that.

Message 2 of 7
latest reply

"I have reported several of these ads so far "

That is the best thing to do.

First, add the listings to your watch list.

Then report them to eBay as "listing practices" ---> "no item for sale"

These problems unfortunately do not get solved overnight. However, if more members do what you do - report them - they will eventually go away.

Message 3 of 7
latest reply

I have reported dozens and dozens of these misleading and deceptive "PS4 [donation] " listings. They have never been removed in time and the listing ends leaving the unsuspecting "buyer" in a bad situation. I have since taken it into my own hands and started bidding and winning these fraudulent listings. I then proceed to leave negative feedbacks immediately after "winning" to warn others buyers about the scam lisitings. Now i know It is also a violation of ebay policy for me to do this but i feel it is my duty to uncover these fraud artists that prey on good people. Ebay has never contacted me about these transactions. If anything, the listings and all information will "Mysteriously" vanish from my account with no explanation whatsoever from ebay. They just disappear. Most of the time after i "WIN" and leave negatives, these sellers will shut their accounts down or immediately repost the listings hoping that someone will fall for thier scam before Ebay catches on. It is definately a scam and one can usually find recent questionable or fake feedback building these sellers accounts. It is a sorry situation when these scammers are using sick and poor kids or family members to ask for donations. Most buyers dont  realize the donation descriptions and bid on impulse thinking they are purchasing a "NEW" item. Either way these listings are deceptive and misleading. I  will keep bidding, winning and leaving negative feedback for these fraudsters as i feel Ebay is not doing enough by weeding these crooks from this site. I truly feel i am doing the Ebay community a huge favor by doing what i am doin and ridding these scammers from this site. I have shut down at least a hundred fake fraudulent accounts preying on hardworking unsuspecting ebay customers since i started on Ebay. It Would be nice to know Ebay is actually concerned about its members. It seems to me they could be doing more to prevent these types of listings. Untill then i will keep on surfin for more fraudsters. Take care and be aware

Message 4 of 7
latest reply

BTW.. just a bit of usefull info...When i bid and  "win" any fraudulent listing and refuse to pay, It forces the sellers hand by the fact that this seller must now report me for non-payment or improper bidding practices. Which works even better because when or if they report me, They will be reporting themselves also which will then speed up the Ebay investigation Process. Ebay has never put a non-payment strike against me for not paying for these fraudulent listings and ive done it a hundred times. Ebay will never reprimand you if you refuse to pay because the listing is fraudulent or deceiving. Either way, im in the clear 🙂 i will continue do what i am doing and hunt these Ebay crooks. And please be aware that at any time i can search ebay and uncover fraudulent activity all over the world that would blow your mind. fer real, its become a cesspool that never ends. Take some time and find out for yourself. wouldnt take long ...LOTS of fraudulent activity on Ebay... Just take care and Beware

Message 5 of 7
latest reply

P.S...... funny how there is a Moderator censoring these comments but there is no one to investigate all the fraud reports? Hmmm...makes ya wonder if ebay really cares eh?
Message 6 of 7
latest reply

In glad to hear that someone is doing something about it. I didn't think of that as an option. Sounds like it works well enough. But it really shouldn't come to that. It seems ebay is simply overwhelmed with issues to catch these reports in time.

It would be great if they had a reporting system/option that put the add on hold until it was looked at by a human, with penalties for false reporting to prevent trolls from doing that intentionally.
Message 7 of 7
latest reply