Is it possible to fake a tracking number.

sp9811
Community Member

Hi all

I recently ordered an item that had a tracking number. It always showed as "Pre Shipment".  Is it possible to fake a number? I never got the item, and the status never changed from pre shipment. 

Message 1 of 4
latest reply
3 REPLIES 3

I ship with tracking. I input the tracking information into PayPal and it always shows an error but if I go to Canada Post and input the tracking number it works. Maybe it doesn't work within eBay.

Message 2 of 4
latest reply

@sp9811 wrote:

Hi all

I recently ordered an item that had a tracking number. It always showed as "Pre Shipment".  Is it possible to fake a number? I never got the item, and the status never changed from pre shipment. 

If your tracking number is showing as "pre-shipment" it means that it has never been accepted and scanned by the delivery company.  When shipping is bought online a tracking number is issued at that point, but until it is accepted by Canada Post / FedEx / UPS / whoever it's not shipped.

For example: I just bought postage through paypal for a parcel on Saturday. The parcel now has a tracking number, but until I drop the parcel off at the post office on Monday and get it scanned it will not show as shipped.

If you purchased with paypal you have until the 45th day from purchase to file an item not received claim.

If it's less than 7 days since your purchase I wouldn't worry (yet).

More than 7 days I'd ask the seller what's the shipping status on the item.

If it's reached 40 days, don't wait, file an INR claim with paypal.

Message 3 of 4
latest reply

For buyers tracking numbers are irrelevant. You may want one, but it costs you money and does you no good at all.

If the item has not arrived from North America or Europe, contact the seller on Day 30 and ask for the shipping date and service used. If you get a prompt answer, wait until Day 43 before opening an Item Not Received Dispute. Paypal will refund you if the seller doesn't do it voluntarily.

If the seller can provide Proof of Delivery, even if you have not received it, you will lose. So really, you don't want Confirmed Delivery/tracking.

If the item is coming from Asia, and the seller offers to ship a replacement, file the Item Not Received Dispute immediately. This is a common new scam. You will never recieve the item.

Message 4 of 4
latest reply