Shipping

I have started collecting pez's. 🙂

However, I started looking around on eBay and saw one that I would like to buy. I placed a bid of .99 cents but then realized they were charging $20 for shipping. For a pez!!!

I tried to contact the seller and discuss the shipping fee because when I put in my postal code it said the shipping cost was half that amount. No response.

I've never done this before but I retracted my bid. If the seller would have contacted me to work something out then fine, but they didn't.

Does a bid retraction show me in a negative way? Can other sellers see that I retracted my bid? It's not like I would do this all the time but I just made a mistake bidding on an item with ridiculous shipping. It almost seems like they are trying to pay less eBay fees by charging .99 cents and $20 shipping because you don't pay final value fees on shipping costs.

Message 1 of 5
latest reply
4 REPLIES 4

Shipping

we have been paying fvf on shipping for a couple years now.

Message 2 of 5
latest reply

Shipping

Does a bid retraction show me in a negative way? Can other sellers see that I retracted my bid? It's not like I would do this all the time but I just made a mistake bidding on an item with ridiculous shipping. 

Bid retraction is available up to 12 hours before the bidding ends,use it,you are entitled to make a mistake or even change your mind,(yes change your mind,although that option is not give to choose but "I entered wrong amount" is.

most sellers get annoyed,some may block you,life goes on,as long as you have the money to spend ,ebay will love you and so will most sellers.

If you ask any seller ,"would they prefer a bid retraction or a paying but  a disgruntled/unhappy buyer" most would reluctantly prefer a bid retraction.

I must add,if you make it a practice to bid and then retract,it will be a matter of time before ebay cancels your membership.

Message 3 of 5
latest reply

Shipping

It almost seems like they are trying to pay less eBay fees by charging .99 cents and $20 shipping because you don't pay final value fees on shipping costs.

That was true at one time, but there are now fees on shipping charges.

Is your seller using the Global Shipping Program? There are some very odd shipping charges there, especially if the seller is using Global Priority shipping in order to get Confirmation of Delivery of his dollar item.

BTW, the seller doesn't see that money. It goes to the postal/courier system and possibly to Canada Revenue.

Herein lieth the lesson:

Read the whole listing, including shipping, before bidding.

Message 4 of 5
latest reply

Shipping

@reallynicestamps wrote:

Is your seller using the Global Shipping Program? There are some very odd shipping charges there, especially if the seller is using Global Priority shipping in order to get Confirmation of Delivery of his dollar item.

If the seller is using the Global Shipping Program, the only choice of shipping method the seller has is the domestic shipping service that they use to send the item to the Global Shipping Center in Kentucky.  They don't choose any "global" or "international" shipping (read: forwarding) methods.

For what it's worth, most of the US search results for "pez dispenser" that came up for me were listings using the Global Shipping Program.  I'm suspecting some Cassini-manipulated results.

Message 5 of 5
latest reply