Is it time to leave eBay?

Strange things happening lately that make me wonder if it's time to leave eBay.

About 4 weeks ago I placed a set of Sansui SS-50 earphones up for auction with a starting bid $20.  It was eventually won by someone in Florida and he had good feedback so I was happy.  However, this purchaser didn't respond to the invoice and didn't respond to any follow-up emails so I had to declare a non paying bidder.  I did send the purchaser a final email chiding him for not bothering to communicate with me as I was willing to cancel for almost any reason.  He then (!) emailed me back with a story that it was actually his father who was using his account and they were now fighting about it.  So?????

I relisted my item and it was subsequently won by a new eBay member (0 feedback) so I was a bit worried.  Rightly so!  Same deal; no response to invoice and no communications at all.  His join date was just after my auction start date!?!  Second non paying bidder report filed and a private comment to eBay staff that I believe that this eBay member was a fraud and was looking to screw me over.  No response from eBay.

I relisted my item for the third time and --- guess what? It this auction was subsequently won (with a snipe) by a new eBay member (0 feedback) so I am now convinced that eBay has a new screw-you membership culture.  And, same deal with this auction; no response to invoice and no communications.  His join date was just after my auction start date!?!

Do I bother filing yet another report and email eBay staff yet again, or shall I just close my 13 year 100% good feedback account and sell elsewhere?

Message 1 of 10
latest reply
9 REPLIES 9

Don't send little message. That is unprofessional. Have you set your requirements properly? Such as Paypal acct required? That weeds out the  recreational bidders.

Such is the life with auctions.

I switched to BIN with IPR years ago.

Message 2 of 10
latest reply

marnotom!
Community Member

Seems a bit rash to leave eBay over problems with a single item.  Perhaps it's the nature of the item and the nature of the "buyers" it attracts that are the issues, not eBay in and of itself.

As Inuk suggests, tweaking with your Buyer Requirements may be of some use.  Some "0" feedback "buyers" may not have a PayPal account set up.

Message 3 of 10
latest reply

It's possible someone is playing with you but I don't think that is the norm. Your auction ended 24 hours ago so your buyer still has time to pay. Is there a reason for you to think that the same person keeps winning......same name, city, etc?

A suggestion....you might have more bidders if your shipping was less expensive. If you use paypal to print your labels and use small packet tracking or expedited for your USA buyers and expedited for your Canadian buyers, the shipping would be less expensive and perhaps more attractive to legit buyers.

Message 4 of 10
latest reply

ive asked myself this numerous times. My last nfb was a buyer who was made i sold to someneone else after multiple attempts to contact him. he wouldnt pay. and i get a neg fb out of it. have had issues with buyers from china, they dont pay but i get multiple fradlent emails from paypal? i find im much more likey topne NPB after 4 days. the excuses are rife, just as are the non paying bidders.

Message 5 of 10
latest reply

My last nfb was a buyer who was made i sold to someneone else after multiple attempts to contact him.

Did you file an Unpaid Item Dispute to end the transaction, give him a Strike that will make it harder for him to bid on eBay, and give you your seller fees back.

he wouldnt pay. and i get a neg fb out of it.

Which tells us you didn't file the UID, because when a deadbeat loses one of these disputes, he cannot leave any feedback.

I don't understand the rest of your post. The multiple spelling and grammatical errors make it unreadable. Might I suggest that if English is not your first language, that you use Google Translate or Babelfish? Write your message in your mother tongue and have the program rewrite it in English. But pay attention to spelling, because the programs can't translate misspelt words.

Message 6 of 10
latest reply

sorry. i was saying ive had npb from china do the same thing. no pay. just ignore me. but, i was receiving these emails from paypal ( not real emails from paypal) wanting me to confirm my information. i think we all know this is a common fraudelent practice now. bottom line, i wish sellers could leave negs in certain circumstances. we eat it and like it as it is now.

Message 7 of 10
latest reply

I feel for ya its a crazy place now thats why I left!
Well after many years of selling on EBay I have decided to STOP sell here!!! This place use to be good and the majority of the people buying from me where honest and truthful. BUT NOW I have been ripped off by a guy in Australia and ripped off by PAYPAL!for $500.00 u.s.! the guy who ripped me off did a credit card charge back to his credit card company and Payal sided with them!!! I gave them tracking info, numbers, and the actual postal tracking sheet which showed he had received the item!!!
NOW THERE'S PAYPAL BACKING ME UP??? NOT!!!!!
Not only is the buyer a thief but Paypal is as well!!! go figure??
I'll be waiting for your demise and jump for joy when it happens, signing out GOOD BYE and GOOD RIDDENS!
Message 8 of 10
latest reply

File an appeal about the guy in australia. i did that with an item shipped to the uk last summer. They reversed the decision within 24 hours and i had my money back. the tracking i provided  in this process was the decider.

Message 9 of 10
latest reply

@_victim_ wrote:

Well after many years of selling on EBay I have decided to STOP sell here!!! This place use to be good and the majority of the people buying from me where honest and truthful. BUT NOW I have been ripped off by a guy in Australia and ripped off by PAYPAL!for $500.00 u.s.! the guy who ripped me off did a credit card charge back to his credit card company and Payal sided with them!!! I gave them tracking info, numbers, and the actual postal tracking sheet which showed he had received the item!!!
NOW THERE'S PAYPAL BACKING ME UP??? NOT!!!!!
Not only is the buyer a thief but Paypal is as well!!! go figure??

PayPal will back you up as long as you provide the evidence that they need.

Is there evidence that the item was received at the buyer's address, city or postal code? 

More importantly, did you get a signature to confirm delivery for a sale of that value?

Message 10 of 10
latest reply