Is this a scam being perpetrated on Chinese sellers or us buyers?

So twice now I have bid on two way radios from China. Both were buy it now. Then shortly afterward I get a message from Ebay stating that it appeared a third party had accessed the sellers account and the sale is cancelled. Once I can understand, but twice within in a week with different sellers seems suspicious. Is this just a way to get out of selling an item a low cost? Are Chinese sellers being hacked? Quite unsettling to think ebay can't get a handle on this.

Message 1 of 5
latest reply
4 REPLIES 4

Quite unsettling to think ebay can't get a handle on this.

If the listings and your bids are being cancelled by eBay, I would argue that they do have a handle on this and are acting before the listing ends and you lose your money.

Usually when an account is hacked, it has not been used for some time.

So in addition to the usual "if it sounds too good to be true'', it is worth reading the seller's feedback.

What you are looking for is a long break in selling, or a buyer who has been dormant, then suddenly starts selling.

And of course, negative feedback especially for non-delivery. Although this is harder to spot because the buyers who leave negatives are the foolish ones who did not start Disputes and get refunds. When a Dispute is won, there can be no feedback.

Message 2 of 5
latest reply

I agree and I always check feedback and activity, however it seems odd that both ads were priced quite low, and both were cancelled, is this a pattern?
Message 3 of 5
latest reply

Like the other member said eBay caught it so maybe you were never going to get anything anyway.  Consider yourself lucky to have been saved the hassle of all that.  If it was the same kind of item but different sellers it could be that it was the same scammer who scouted out and hacked 2 different abandoned accounts then listed the same merchandise. 

What matters is that this time you were not scammed because eBay caught it in time.  Now go find a reputable seller in North America.    🙂  

Message 4 of 5
latest reply

it seems odd that both ads were priced quite low,

Well, that's how they hook the suckers.

and both were cancelled,

Because eBay spotted them both. (they may both have had the same IP address for example).

Message 5 of 5
latest reply