It seems impossible to make money as an ebay Canada seller

Every now and then I get the urge to want to start making some extra money on ebay and before too long I get discouraged.

There are next to no quality dropshippers around anymore from what I can see that offers their products at a rate in which I can profit from.

I can't even buy stuff in my own country because I have found that the Canada Post shipping charges are so outrageous that nobody wants to buy the items.

I did find some pretty good suppliers in the suppliers in the US and UK but I would have to pay close to 20% combined tax and duty before if gets to my door.

It just doesn't seem possible to make any money on ebay if your a Canadian.

Does anyone else experience this, or perhaps you are Canadian and you might be able to point me in the right direction.

Appreciate the help.

thanks.

Message 1 of 15
latest reply
14 REPLIES 14

I have published several letters in the newspaper and hav...

"There are next to no quality dropshippers around anymore"

Anymore? When were there ever quality dropshippers? In the 10 years I've been on ebay, dropshippers have always had a bad reputation. They make all the money while the seller gets all the headaches, negative feedback and seller non performance disputes with the out of stock, inferior quality items.

Dropshippers have never been a way to make big bucks despite all their false promises to the contrary on late night infomercials. They are not wholesalers. Their prices are higher than wholesale and are usually products not too many people are interested in.

Here's a glimpse of what others advise about dropshipping:

http://answercenter.ebay.com/search.jspa?q=dropshipper&objID=c1000000003&cID=1000000003

You're better off buying stuff as cheap as possible from going

out of business sales, thrift stores, yard sales or selling your unwanted Christmas gifts.

**********************************************************************************

Non payers should get unpaid item strikes and be added to block bidders lists. Period.
Message 2 of 15
latest reply

gm_thor
Community Member

Yes, I have lost money and broke even on two recent sales due to exhorbitant Canada Post rates and have sent an email to my MP. (Not that I expect that to help!)

I am not going to sell small items such as CDs, books or iPhone accessories anymore as the shipping costs inevitably exceed the value of the item. Unlike the USA where the postal system encourages commerce, our seems intent on shutting it down. But hey, at least as Canadian we have free access to Healthcare... waiting lines!

GT

Message 3 of 15
latest reply

Hey GT, absolutely no insult intended but our healthcare is NOT free. We pay very dearly for it.

Message 4 of 15
latest reply

Sell what you know: know what you sell.

There is no point in trying to sell dropshipped goods. You do not know what (or even if) they are sending to your customers. And as mentioned they are overpriced.

Look in your local phone book for liquidators, jobbers, commercial auction sales. Ask at your day job who are the salesmen who drop by and ask them about deadstock and end of line merchandise.

You will not only see what you are buying before you buy it, but you will be in control of shipping time and costs.

Note that many of these companies will want your GST/HST/PST number, because they get a tax rebate when they sell for resale. And so do you when you export an item. Register to collect these taxes.

Very generally, if the supplier does not want that tax number, you are paying full retail. You can't make money paying full retail.

Some items are not meant for mail order.

If it is heavy or very fragile, packaging and shipping will be expensive. And that takes in both costs of packing labour, cost of packing materials, postage, insurance and tracking costs (The last is for Paypal only. Tracking is not otherwise useful.)

Postal insurance is not your only option.

Understand what your actual costs are.

It is not important that an item, purchased for a loonie,  sold for $25. If it is "lost in the mail" you are out only a loonie (okay, plus listing fees).

Shipping FVF are based on domestic shipping charges. If you use Free Shipping for Canadian sales, sending an anvil to Australia by Air Mail will cost you nothing in shipping FVF. And your Aussie customer pays for the shipping, so.....

Message 5 of 15
latest reply

Dropshipping makes it almost impossible to make money. The prices you are charged are full retail (if the seller does not demand your tax number, you can be sure you are paying retail) and your supplier has hundreds of other customers competing with you.
Better to shop locally. Get out the Yellow Pages and look for liquidators, jobbers, importers and manufacturers. You are looking for end of lines, dead stock, and small lots. Choose something you actually know something about.
The down side is that these suppliers will want cash up front. The up side is you will actually see what you are selling and can control shipping and packaging.
There is no reason to lose money on shipping. S&H are paid by your buyer. Even if you offer "free" shipping, that cost is folded into the asking price.
If you are having problems with incorrect pricing, you are probably not using metric measurements. Canada Post went metric in 1974. Any other measuring system is inaccurate.
Keep in mind that most people are honest. If you use Air Mail your packages will arrive reasonably fast. You don't need Delivery Confirmation/tracking if the item is delivered promptly. However, insurance (third party or self-insured) is always a good idea.
Some items are not meant for mail order . And yes, eBay is mail order. Cheap bulky items are going to cost more to ship than their price .
But think about this:
$10 price+ $10 shipping
$15 price +$5 shipping
$20 price+ Free Shipping
Which is most expensive? which is most attractive?
Message 6 of 15
latest reply

Well if Canada Post wouldn't charge us an arm and a leg to ship items that are thicker than 2 cm we could maybe even make some money. I have given up on selling anything that goes over that size because an item that does is not .65 cents or 1.34 but 10-15 dollars even if it's 2.1 cm thick and that is in canada not to talk about international shipping.
Message 7 of 15
latest reply

Yup, agreed. I'm paying minimum $15 for anything over 2cm thick. I've lost on sales MANY times - brand name items I make nothing from anymore post sale and shipping.
Message 8 of 15
latest reply

I have published several letters in the newspaper and have been in touch with the head of Canada Post, regarding what I refer to as "government-sanctioned theft".  

The only way we can possibly change this, is by organizing as a consumer group.  It's ridiculous to consider paying over $100 to ship a Barbie doll to Australia, just because you want a tracking number!  And, it does take Canadian small business completely out of the world market.

Consider the group... there's power in numbers.  😉

Message 9 of 15
latest reply

It's not impossible, and you don't need any memberships to dropshippers.

I can show you how. If interested, send me a message, and I'll send you a link.

Message 10 of 15
latest reply

I found a hobby that more than pays for itself. Basically, know what you sell, sell what you know and I find it helps to LOVE what you sell.
Message 11 of 15
latest reply

Who says you can't sell in the U.S....That's I do, I'm from Canada and I drop ship stuff from any website I see out there. I learned how from this 19.99$ training I took.

http://dsdomination.com/sp/pro?aid=Bourbs1

Trust me it works

Message 12 of 15
latest reply

Hey. Just got charged a surprise duty fee and now I'm in the red on my shipment. What small amount of money I was going to make is gone and I might have to take a loss now. Please help!
Message 13 of 15
latest reply

I had sent some jewellery to Australia, it had cost me $75.00 with a Tracking Number, I had lost quite a bit of money out of my pocket.  Shipping Rates for Canadians are Crazy.  I do not understand how some one in china can sell something for $0.30 highest bidder, free shipping worldwide, and make money doing this.  It is not fair that China gets such a huge break on shipping compared to Canada.  Just my thoughts.

Message 14 of 15
latest reply

To poster above: certain things just aren’t meant to be sold worldwide. Limit your sales to within Canada and US for more reasonable shipping rates.

——-

The moment I read the word “dropshipper” I checked the thread’s date... hmmm 6 years old ZOMBIE!

@happy_pigeon

Message 15 of 15
latest reply