Item not received, past 45 days - nothing I can do?

ukulucas
Community Member

Hey everyone.  I've been using eBay for several years and never had a bad experience, so I (naively) never bothered to read up on the fairly stringent buyer protection policies.

On Nov 15, I bought an item from a user named bikehusla801 who seemed to have a good track record.  After I paid, they sent me a message saying they were out of town and would ship the item the following week, and gave me $10 back from my shipping charge - nice gesture, I thought, so I didn't suspect anything.

I emailed a month later when the item hadn't arrived, and they said that "customs can hold items for 2-3 months".  Again, should have set off the red flags, but I'd had 30-ish perfectly smooth transactions and was too trusting.  So I took their word for it.

It's now been 3 months.  I've now contacted them at both of their emails that I know of with no response.

It's past 45 days (in fact it's past 90 days, you can't even see the item), and I only waited this long because the seller deliberately misled me, twice.  I have the aforementioned message saved in my eBay inbox, proof positive (in my view) of what they were doing.  Is there anything I can do, at all?  Call eBay and Paypal and my credit card and make a scene?  Make a song called "eBay sucks" and send it out to my 60,000 Youtube subscribers?

Any comments, any at all, appreciated.  I'm out about $45, which isn't a trivial amount of money, but it could be much worse.

Message 1 of 6
latest reply
5 REPLIES 5

Well I am pretty sure you waited to long to do anything at all but your only chance is credit card chargeback which you might even be to late to do .. Call today right now and explain what happened ...

Message 2 of 6
latest reply

If you paid by Credit Card then phone the 1-800 number on the

back of your card and see  about doing a chargeback.

Not guaranteed because Credit Card co also have time limits.

Have all your info for this transaction handy before you make the call.

Message 3 of 6
latest reply

COMPLETELY UNDERSTAND !!!!!! I have the same problem  with a seller out of china and I also believed the seller that he would make thing right as he claimed but it was just a stall tactics as I sure he knew that all he had to do is extend it over the 45 days and he would be in clear !!!!!   Palpay claims the cover you 100% but they don't if it over 45 days and u have not filed a dispute !!!!!   THIS IS **bleep** !!!!!!!

Message 4 of 6
latest reply

Sorry this isn't "bleep!  It's the policy and has been for a very long time.  Every shopping website has different conditions and this should be the very first item you read before even consider purchasing - it's your hard earned $ you are talking about here, at least that's the way I always look at things.

Message 5 of 6
latest reply

And again, the OP can still go to her credit card for a chargeback, although, just like Paypal and eBay (and Sears and Apple and Ford and and and) they also have a deadline on their protection policies.

Message 6 of 6
latest reply