Item numbers and keeping track of packages

Does the item number change when an item doesn't sell and is relisted. I was using the item number and marking my boxes with it to keep track. Is there a better way to mark my packages to ensure I mail the correct one once it sells.
Thanks
Message 1 of 5
latest reply
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

As Pierre said, the item number is changed with each relist.

If the duration is Fixed Price GTC (Good Til Canceled), the item number stays the same.

You may want to consider having your own item number or stock keeping unit. Say something like Wnnnn, W for you id and nnnn a counter from 0000 to 9999. You can use this in the item title at the end or if you use the custom label field, you can put it in there. Putting it in the item title is easy and visible anytime you look at a listing. 

If you search on w0001, you will find some part numbers or model numbers or even other sellers using the same system to id listings. Not a problem with search keyword spamming as far as I know.

View solution in original post

Message 3 of 5
latest reply
4 REPLIES 4

"Does the item number change when an item doesn't sell and is relisted."

Yes.  It has always been like that.

Message 2 of 5
latest reply

As Pierre said, the item number is changed with each relist.

If the duration is Fixed Price GTC (Good Til Canceled), the item number stays the same.

You may want to consider having your own item number or stock keeping unit. Say something like Wnnnn, W for you id and nnnn a counter from 0000 to 9999. You can use this in the item title at the end or if you use the custom label field, you can put it in there. Putting it in the item title is easy and visible anytime you look at a listing. 

If you search on w0001, you will find some part numbers or model numbers or even other sellers using the same system to id listings. Not a problem with search keyword spamming as far as I know.

Message 3 of 5
latest reply

Thank you, very helpful
Message 4 of 5
latest reply

We use numbers in the description field, and also write the # and what the item is, etc. in a book. Helps us keep track of everything!
Message 5 of 5
latest reply