Item sold at auction,buyer says it was her boyfriend who bid with her account & she doesn't want it

My item was listed for 5 days, had 8 watchers and about 300 views without any bids until the last minute... When I logged in to check my auctions I saw I had a message from the buyer saying: "Hey my boyfriend bidding on this phone but didn't realize he was in my account. I don't want it. Sorry about this."

Are they not obligated to pay for the item they won? Because to me it simply sounds like they changed their mind afterward for some reason and making up an excuse to get out of it.  Is it not their responsibility to assure that they log out of their eBay account or that they know who is using it for that reason... If it's really her boyfriend that was bidding on it not realizing he was using her account which I find hard to believe, how is it my problem that her boyfriend bid and she doesn't want it...

I would think she still is obligated to pay for it and she should send her man a money request through paypal for what he bought using her account!

Or if what she says isn't just a lie and it really is her boyfriend then in her purchased items section she could easily just hit the pay now button and get him to sign in his paypal to pay for it.  As the situation is now, I don't really believe their story and personally a person can easily tell if they are using their own account or not what with the different personal feeds and such...

Message 1 of 2
latest reply
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Item sold at auction,buyer says it was her boyfriend who bid with her account & she doesn't want it

5 days, had 8 watchers and about 300 views without any bids

All of which is irrelevant. Watchers rarely bid and having 300 views just means that 300 eBayers looked at your item and didn't want it.

Don't continue to communicate with the buyer after a quick note politely suggesting that she work out payment with her boyfriend and suggesting that she change her password so that this does not arise again.

Put the ID on your Blocked Bidder List.

On Day Four, if there is no payment, file an Unpaid Item Dispute.

If s/he pays, ship with Confirmation of Delivery (even if this is a small loss, we're doing damage control here) and leave friendly feedback. "Thank you for your payment. Shipped Canada Post Air Mail June 5,2014" . for example.

If there is no payment, escalate the dispute and get your fees refunded. The buyer gets a Strike for non-payment and you get your fees back.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 2
latest reply
1 REPLY 1

5 days, had 8 watchers and about 300 views without any bids

All of which is irrelevant. Watchers rarely bid and having 300 views just means that 300 eBayers looked at your item and didn't want it.

Don't continue to communicate with the buyer after a quick note politely suggesting that she work out payment with her boyfriend and suggesting that she change her password so that this does not arise again.

Put the ID on your Blocked Bidder List.

On Day Four, if there is no payment, file an Unpaid Item Dispute.

If s/he pays, ship with Confirmation of Delivery (even if this is a small loss, we're doing damage control here) and leave friendly feedback. "Thank you for your payment. Shipped Canada Post Air Mail June 5,2014" . for example.

If there is no payment, escalate the dispute and get your fees refunded. The buyer gets a Strike for non-payment and you get your fees back.

Message 2 of 2
latest reply