Jade Restrictions

Hello all ebay.ca sellers. Most of you know that ivory is not supposed to be sold across the border. But did you know there are also restrictions on selling jadeite?

I recently found out when I sold a pair of vintage Chinese jadeite earrings to an American customer. Paypal froze my account and cancelled the transaction, saying the sale was in violation of U.S. law.

This is what Paypal sent me:

1.      The Burmese Freedom and Democracy Act of 2003 banned the importation
into the United States of products from Burma.
2.      The JADE Act of 2008 banned the importation of jadeite and rubies mined
or extracted from Burma, regardless of when the items were exported from
Burma to a third country.

PayPal cannot facilitate a transaction where a customer located in the
United States purchases gemstones of Burmese origin because PayPal and the
U.S. buyer would be in violation of U.S. law.

It was my mistake to mention Burma in my description, because I doubt they would have done anything if I hadn't. What they don't realize is that gem quality jadeite is almost exclusively from Burma. China has imported vast quantities of Burmese jade over the years because it values jadeite more than any other stone. (Jadeite is not found in China; only nephrite jade is mined there.)

The vast majority of vintage Chinese jade jewelry being sold on ebay, therefore, is Burmese jade. According to Paypal, Canadians cannot sell it to anyone living in the U.S.

Just wanted to give Canadian sellers a heads-up on this. I had never heard of this restriction before.

Anyone else had a similar experience?

Message 1 of 3
latest reply
2 REPLIES 2

Jade Restrictions

There are many things  that cannot be sold on eBay as a whole... or on specific eBay sites.

One has to be extremely careful... and Read... Read... Read.

http://pages.ebay.ca/help/policies/items-ov.html

Many sellers do not know these rules do exist.....

Message 2 of 3
latest reply

Jade Restrictions

The restrictions are not actually on jade then and the title is unfortunately misleading.

The restrictions are on exporting Burmese products into the USA and it is a US law not an eBay rule.

While it is probably not a good idea to relist these earrings on eBay, when you list them elsewhere, if your offer extends to the USA (and possibly to the EU as well, they don't like the Burmese dictatorship either), it would be wise to give the vintage of the earrings (mid-century? 19th century?) and the type of stone without going into detail about the origin of such stone.

Message 3 of 3
latest reply