Just had a ridiculous shipping fee automatically show up one auction ended.

I just had an auction end where I had 1 bidder who won the item for $1.99

The buyer resides in California, and I am shipping from Ontario Canada.

In my listing I had chosen the calculated shipping option, ship by Expedited Parcel and added the details of  the parcel at 36cm x 26cm x 9cm and a weight of 1.6 kg

Once the auction ended, an automatic fee came up of $109.19 This fee is crazy where is should had been just around $23.00 US

The buyer has since asked that I cancel the sale, which I have done. I explained that once I send an actual invoice through eBay this would probably change to reflect the actual cost.

Did I miss something here. Why would it come up with that crazy fee?

Thank you for any assistance.

Message 1 of 13
latest reply
12 REPLIES 12

Took me a minute or two to test it but I found the problem.

Check your listing again.  The measurements you entered were most likely: 36" x 26" x 9" (instead of cm)

That bring up a Canada Post charge of $113 from Belleville.  May be slightly different for you based on your location and PayPal discount.

Message 2 of 13
latest reply

Although Canada Post went metric in 1974, eBayCANADA still goes with a default of imperial measurements, which are approximate and often inaccurate.

Check your current listings and make sure that you went to the "options" in the Shipping template. It's a scroll down and metric is well down the list. (mumblemumbledamyankeesmumble mumble). Choose metric.

If you can set up a template for your listings the metric should stay, but it might default back to imperial from time to time. 

It is a useful practice to look at your newly listed items and check that foreign (particularly US) shipping fees are showing up. There is also a measurement difference between some Canada Post and USPS dimensions that will block US shipping fees on our listings. 

Message 3 of 13
latest reply

I just had an auction end where I had 1 bidder who won the item for $1.99

The buyer resides in California, and I am shipping from Ontario Canada.

In my listing I had chosen the calculated shipping option, ship by Expedited Parcel and added the details of  the parcel at 36cm x 26cm x 9cm and a weight of 1.6 kg

Once the auction ended, an automatic fee came up of $109.19 This fee is crazy where is should had been just around $23.00 US

The buyer has since asked that I cancel the sale, which I have done. I explained that once I send an actual invoice through eBay this would probably change to reflect the actual cost.

Did I miss something here. Why would it come up with that crazy fee?

Thank you for any assistance.

The only listing I see that sold at $1.99 US is the listing for the carpenter drill 28108791674.

You listed with Xpresspost, not Expedited parcel USA so the shipping is going to be in the $100 range.

It does not have anything to do with cm versus inches in my opinion.

Message 4 of 13
latest reply

If I put the California zip code 90210 in the listing calculator, I get 109.16 like you got for Xpresspost.

If I go to the Canada Post website Find a rate page and enter your posted dimensions, I get Xpresspost in the $40-$50 range and Expedited parcel in the $25 range.

So you must have entered wrong dimensions or wrong weight or possible wrong units (inches versus cm, lbs versus grams). Something is wrong.

What you can do is sell similar to start a new listings based on the ended one and see what you did then cancel the listings.  Scroll down to the shipping section and see what was entered.

Message 5 of 13
latest reply

If I put the California zip code 90210 in the listing calculator, I get 109.16 like you got for Xpresspost.

If I go to the Canada Post website Find a rate page and enter your posted dimensions, I get Xpresspost in the $40-$50 range and Expedited parcel in the $25 range.

So you must have entered wrong dimensions or wrong weight or possible wrong units (inches versus cm, lbs versus grams) as well as the wrong shipping service. More than one thing is wrong.

What you can do is sell similar to start a new listings based on the ended one and see what you did then cancel the listings.  Scroll down to the shipping section and see what was entered.

Corrections above.

The forum bug that does not post edit corrections when editing a reply after previewing it got me again.

Message 6 of 13
latest reply

That is a good idea. Thank you.

Message 7 of 13
latest reply

I wondered about that. When I went to print the shipping label, it was set in inches. I always make sure to measure in metric but something got switched along the way. I try very hard to double check everything before I post it. 

I will just have to be extra cautious now. Thank you for the help.

Message 8 of 13
latest reply

no loss if the person wants to cancel just put it up for sale again & make Shure you get your shipping right   🙂 

Message 9 of 13
latest reply

I wondered about that. When I went to print the shipping label, it was set in inches. I always make sure to measure in metric but something got switched along the way. I try very hard to double check everything before I post it. 

I will just have to be extra cautious now. Thank you for the help.

When I have my eBay listings with calculated shipping setup in cm and kg, when I get a sale and go to print PayPal labels, sometimes PayPal has the dimensions set to inches and the weight in kg. I have to manually change to cm in PayPal when I go to print the label.  I do not know why it does this sometimes. It has been happening for the 4+ years I have been selling on eBay.

So you seem to have encountered this bug. This only has to do with eBay sending the info to PayPal and not keeping the units set to cm for some reason.

As for the original problem, did you find out what happened to get the rather high Xpresspost rates? I know that you wanted Expedited Parcel and need to correct that but were the dimensions or weight messed up also? Just curious.

In my experience, the eBay shipping calculator is accurate. Most issues are user errors in setting up the dimensions or weight.

One thing to know about Expedited parcel is that it uses dimensional weight. So a large light box can be classed as a heavier package based on dimensions.

DW = L (cm) x W (cm) x H (cm) / 6000

So your example of 36 x 26 x 9 cm has a dimensional weight of 1.4 kg.  So the actual weight of 1.6 kg would be used over the DW. So the 2 kg rate is used.

If you had used a box that was 36 x 30 x 12, the DW is 2.16 kg so that would be used instead of 1.6 kg. So you would be in the 2.5 kw class based on package size!

So always be careful when using Expedited Parcel and use the smallest box (but still protect the item) to get the DW weight down in case it overrides the actual weight. You can calculate the DW of any box from the dimensions anytime.

Small Packet and the new Tracked Packet do not use Dimensional Weight and have a simple dimensions limit and a maximum real weight of 1 kg.

Message 10 of 13
latest reply

Anonymous
Not applicable

I wouldn't use eBay's calculated shipping tool.  I prefer to measure and weight it myself and find the right shipping costs and then list the exact shipping information in each listings.  It is not worth the hassle to upset any potential buyers.

You cannot rely on eBay for many features any more.  eBay has continue to screw up so many things for us like no picture showing in stock photos after I listed them with stock photos only to find out a few weeks ago the pictures are not longer there.  I called eBay about it so many times, they kept saying "glitch" too often which is hogwash.  It has been going on for 6 months now and still they haven't fix them.

Whoever handle those kind of things need to be fired as they are not doing a good job for months and months.  The quality of eBay has went south and I wouldn't surprise it would continue to go down farther more up the coming months. 

Just don't rely eBay to do "your jobs" like using their tools for shipping information, etc.

Message 11 of 13
latest reply

eBay shipping calculator is as good as the information entered into it. Garbage in, Garbage out.

Message 12 of 13
latest reply

Honeybed how do you do that?  You would have to post a different shiping cost to each province and USA State, since they would all be different.  I use the calculator for all my Canadian shipping, I just test it and adjust the handling fee accordingly so it comes out to the actual cost at the end.  I use flat rate for USA and international, I just take the highest State or Country and use that for the shipping cost and refund the buyer if the shipping was too high,  after the sale.

Message 13 of 13
latest reply