Just made my first sell need help (ebay shipping label)

Hello guys I just made my first sell and I now need to ship the item to the client. On ebay it says "To purchase and print your shipping label, log in to PayPal and follow the onscreen instructions." I go to print labels it takes me to paypal where it shows the persons name and shipping address etc, I than click continue.

Than I have to pay for the shipping. As you can see below.

My question is when I pay 17.15CAN what happens? I guess I get to print the shipping label right? and I print the label and put it on my product.

So when I go to Canada post with my item with my ebay label on it do I have to pay Canada post for them to ship the product?

Shipping Rate

Small Business Rate: $18.96 CAD
Additional Discount: -$1.81 CAD

Sub Total: $17.15 CAD

Total Shipping Cost:  

$17.15 CAD

Message 1 of 17
latest reply
16 REPLIES 16

Click the button, a pop-up will show, click another button and print the label, affix the label to the package, take to Post Office and drop it on the counter, nod to the clerk and leave quickly. No need to stand in line if it happens to be busy.

If the package will fit you can also just drop it in any Canada Post mail box.

"What else could I do? I had no trade so I became a peddler" - Lazarus Greenberg 1915
- answering Trolls is voluntary, my policy is not to participate.
Message 2 of 17
latest reply

There is NEVER a line in Canada Post. They are losing money the only they are alive is because the government of Canada fund them. Can someone PLEASE answer this question. 

So when I go to Canada post with my item with my ebay label on it do I have to pay Canada post for them to ship the product? Do I have to pay them yes or no?

Message 3 of 17
latest reply

If you pay for a canada post label through paypal then that is it, no further payment

If you just stick the buyers address on the parcel then you have to buy postage at a canada post outlet

Message 4 of 17
latest reply

That's helps I was scared that I woulf be paying 17 bucks for a piece of label, but it appears that the label include shipping.

Message 5 of 17
latest reply

They are losing money the only they are alive is because the government of Canada fund them

Factually inaccurate.CP pays its' own bills. Turned a profit three out of the last four reported years. Before slinging mud at your suppliers, learn a little about them:

http://www.canadapost.ca/cpo/mc/assets/pdf/aboutus/annualreport/2012_AR_complete_en.pdf

Message 6 of 17
latest reply

inuk, I prefer you posting under mr.elmwood who seems to post a little more politely. Man LOL

Message 7 of 17
latest reply

@pocomocomputing wrote:

inuk, I prefer you posting under mr.elmwood who seems to post a little more politely. Man LOL

Yes, well, when he's a polar bear he sometimes forgets his table manners (or is that 'board manners'?)... Woman Very Happy

Message 8 of 17
latest reply

When you buy a Paypal/Canada Post label online through eBay, you are paying the shipping cost for your item.  There is nothing more to pay. 

The next time you do a shipping label, take a careful look at the very top right-hand side of the printed label -- it says "Canada Post/Pd by Sender".  That label is as good as postage stamps. 

This is what 'recped' was trying to say in his reply.  Once you've paid online for your label, there is nothing else you need to do except either drop it off at the Post Office or in a mailbox.  You don't have to stand in line at the Post Office.

By the way, be aware that you have only 24 hours to reprint a paid label, so if for any reason the first one gets destroyed (dropped in your coffee cup for example), you can reprint it at no charge, but only within that timeframe.  After that, you pay again. 

Message 9 of 17
latest reply

He's probably just hungry & there doesn't seem to be any Fresh Meat Newbies for him to gnaw on lately.

Just throw him a fish. Smiley Very Happy

Message 10 of 17
latest reply

@bb_cool_stuff wrote:

He's probably just hungry & there doesn't seem to be any Fresh Meat Newbies for him to gnaw on lately.

Just throw him a fish. Smiley Very Happy

LOL!!!  Woman Very Happy

Message 11 of 17
latest reply

I haven't paid for the label yet I will pay tomorrow. The buyer wanted a tracking number where does the tracking number appear? Does the tracking number go on the bay label or by email? Where does the tracking number go on the label?

Message 12 of 17
latest reply

@soul5555511 wrote:

I haven't paid for the label yet I will pay tomorrow. The buyer wanted a tracking number where does the tracking number appear? Does the tracking number go on the bay label or by email? Where does the tracking number go on the label?

I will try to help you with this, but as many of the experienced sellers here have advised you before, you really need to spend some time buying  on eBay to get experience in the basics.  Questions like this reveal how little understanding you have of the eBay system, and believe me, that lack of fundamental knowledge will get you into trouble with your buyers (or with eBay).

However, I don't want to leave you without a solution for today, so here are the answers to your questions:

1.  Depending on which type of Canada Post service you are using, you may not or may not have tracking available. 

• Services that do not have any tracking are Light Packet Air and Small Packet Air (and of course letter-mail, but that is not available through Paypal labelling). 

• There are different levels of "tracking".  Expedited Parcel, Tracked Packet, and Xpresspost all have forms of tracking, and you can purchase Canada Post labels for these services through eBay/Paypal.  As soon as you've completed the label purchase on these services, Paypal will display the tracking # on your Paypal transaction record, they will send you an email confirming your label purchase (with tracking # if applicable), and they normally automatically upload the tracking number onto your eBay item (on your "Sold" screen).  I've found that Tracked Packet doesn't always upload automatically for some reason, so you may have to manually input it from your Paypal record. 

• The tracking number, if you purchase a tracked service, is printed below the bar code on the upper section of the label, and it's printed at the top of your receipt portion (they call it "Item ID", but it is the tracking#).  Cut the shipping label below the indicated line "Detach Here", and keep the lower half for your records.  For tracked services, you will need to sign the upper section of the label as "Sender" where indicated at bottom.

2.  If you purchase a tracked service through Paypal online labelling, your buyer should receive an email showing the tracking #, and the buyer will also be able to see the tracking # displayed under the item purchased on his/her "Purchase History".  As a courtesy, especially if the buyer has specifically asked and paid for tracking, I would send him/her a direct message noting the tracking # and the expected delivery time.

3.  With any label service, you will need to fill in the applicable customs information, including item description(s), weights, country of origin, etc.  This takes the place of customs forms you would fill out if you were paying for postage at the Post Office.  You will not be able to finish processing your shipping label without all of that information properly entered.

I hope you can work through this and get your parcel off to your buyer.  And I hope you'll take the advice of experienced sellers and try out eBay as a buyer for a while, where you will have no responsibility or worry except to pay for what you've purchased.  You can sit back and observe both the mistakes and the examples of excellence on the part of sellers and take note. 

You should also take the time to read carefully through eBay's rules and policies for sellers.  There is a great deal to learn about selling on eBay to be able to do it even reasonably well, and it's best to start with at least a working knowledge. 

Message 13 of 17
latest reply

According to your listing you are charging for Expedited Parcel Canada or Expedited USA. Both of those those include tracking so as rose dee explained, you will see the tracking number on your label. In the future, for packages less than 1 kg you might want to consider using Tracked Packet USA as it can be slightly less expensive than Expedited. Both services have tracking and up to $100 in insurance.

Message 14 of 17
latest reply

I'm scared that I'm paying for a piece of paper. What I don't understand is how the item is actually tracked? Once I print in from my printer how is the tracking stored? I don't scan it. It seems pretty easy if it's just pay for the label, print it and attach it to your item and everything will be fine.

Message 15 of 17
latest reply

@soul5555511 wrote:

I'm scared that I'm paying for a piece of paper. What I don't understand is how the item is actually tracked? Once I print in from my printer how is the tracking stored? I don't scan it. It seems pretty easy if it's just pay for the label, print it and attach it to your item and everything will be fine.

The label (piece of paper) is your proof of payment for the shipping.  Don't worry about it, just try not to lose it or damage it before you get it onto the parcel.  Please read my Post #9 again.

Do you have a "labelope" to put the labels in?  If not, tape the label securely around the edges or better still, cut a piece of clear plastic out of a zip-lock bag or something similar, just a bit larger all around than your label, and tape the edges of the plastic to your parcel.  Avoid taping directly on top of the printed areas of the label -- although some sellers do tape right over their labels, this could make the bar code hard to scan.

Once you get through this transaction, read the last 2 paragraphs of my Post #13 again and consider it.  I think this is what all the experienced sellers here would tell you.

Message 16 of 17
latest reply

First you did not make a 'sell' . 'Sell' is a verb, an action word. You made a 'sale'.  Words mean things. It is worthwhile paying attention to what the words mean.

All of your repeated questions have been answered. Repeatedly.

The label is a receipt for the payment you made to Canada Post, through Paypal.

It is exactly the same thing as a postage stamp.

A postage stamp or the Paypal/ Canada Post shipping label are reciepts that show Canada Post workers that the shipping cost has been paid.

The shipping label will have a bar code. The machines at Canada Post can read these bar codes, just as the scanner at the supermarket reads the bar codes on a bag of milk .

You are not ready to sell yet. Do some buying to learn about eBay from the viewpoint of your future customers. Read the tutorial up top there under SELL > Seller Information> New Sellers.

Read the boards for information on basic questions.

Now I'm gonna go get a beer with Mr. Elmwood.

And I think calling him that is an insult to the psychotic lowlife community.-- Captain Malcolm Reynolds.

Message 17 of 17
latest reply