Light Packet Question

momoftwingles2
Community Member
Just curious if Light Packet rates OR regulations will be affected once Canada Post implements its regular and irregular Oversized Lettermail rates and rules that go into effect in January of 2009.

I've read and reread the announcement to the right and the Canada Post website and can't find anything that says that Light Packets must be bendable or that the rates are changing for it.

I'm asking as I'm working on shipping details for all 3000 listings in my store and am trying to figure out flat rate shipping that is fair for my buyers.

The products that I sell are always packaged so that they do not bend. Scrappers do not want bent or wrinkled stickers and laser cuts! *S*

It seems that it may be best for me to just use Light Packet AIR for an item or combination of items up to 250 grams and then switch to Small Packet.

Any information would be appreciated.

Have a great evening!
Susan
momoftwingles2
Message 1 of 10
latest reply
9 REPLIES 9

Light Packet Question

I don't think so, Light Packet is already essentially what CP is bringing in for domestic Letterpost, that is, rigid or boxed items will be considered packages even though they are under the 2 cm thickness limitation.

When USPS brought in similar policies in 2007 prices rose dramatically, as an example shipping a cd increased by 34%.

"What else could I do? I had no trade so I became a peddler" - Lazarus Greenberg 1915
- answering Trolls is voluntary, my policy is not to participate.
Message 2 of 10
latest reply

Light Packet Question

faerywishes
Community Member
My understanding is that is it for Letter Mail only. So far, anyways.
Message 3 of 10
latest reply

Light Packet Question

momoftwingles2
Community Member
After I sent my post last night I kept reading and reading and reading some more. And, I thought that I understood the new shipping rules for January of 2009, but called Canada Post this morning to find out for sure.

First off, the Canada Post representative said that the new rules for Bendable/NonBendable ONLY apply to mail sent WITHIN Canada in the Other Letter/Oversize category. The NEW RULES DO NOT apply to Other Letter mail or Light Packet going to the States or other international destinations.

While this is good news for my US and other international customers, it certainly will hit my Canadian customers just as if they ran into a brick wall that doesn't bend either!

The rules won't change for elsewhere nor will the rates but Canadians are going to be hit really hard since my packages can't bend. They'll be paying twice as much as the bendable lettermail. And my Canadian customers will be paying MORE once again than my US customers for Other Letter mail.

It's sad that we can send cheaper to the States than within our own province or country.

I guess this means that other destinations will be hit next.

Now...back to calculating shipping.

Thanks recped and faerywishes for responding!

Susan
momoftwingles2
Message 4 of 10
latest reply

Light Packet Question

Susan,

Just use bubble mailers as they are bendable.

Xena

PS: Bernie said you could call him anytime to discuss your flat-rate shipping issues. He is the techie guy.
Message 5 of 10
latest reply

Light Packet Question

momoftwingles2
Community Member
Hi Xena,

Thank you! Yes! I will be calling. I'm trying to do some preliminary numbers so that Bernie can guide me through this process.

You two are wonderful!

I hope you enjoyed your travels!
Susan
momoftwingles2
Message 6 of 10
latest reply

Light Packet Question

Susan, are your items thick to begin with? I sell patterns. Some are in books, some are just single sheets of paper and I ship almost everything with cardboard. Most of my items will fall under 1 cm even with the cardboard so the new changes will mostly only affect my multiple item buyers. If you would like to email me, I can give you some great tips on sourcing the cardboard and finding good quality envelopes at very competive prices.
Message 7 of 10
latest reply

Light Packet Question

lilybean@ebay.com
Community Member
momoftwingles2,

Thanks for your questions. Apologies for the delay in responding but I forwarded your query to Canada Post for a direct response so here it is:

"There will be a rate increase for Light Packet for next year, which will take effect on January 12, 2009
However, the amount of the rate increase is as yet undetermined, and will be announced (at the latest) on December 13, 2008 in order to give customers at least 30-day notice. At this time, there is not expected to be any product or specification changes to Light Packet in 2009."

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Lilybean
Message 8 of 10
latest reply

Light Packet Question

momoftwingles2
Community Member
Hi Lilybean,

Thank you for this information. I called Canada Post as well and received the exact opposite information regarding rates! I guess we'll have to wait until December to see if they will be changing Light Packet rates, but at least your news reports that there will not be changes to the specs....which is good news!

Again, thank you!
Susan
momoftwingles2
Message 9 of 10
latest reply

Light Packet Question

I can guarantee you that all Canada Post rates will be going up in January 2009 as they have done almost every year for decades.

"What else could I do? I had no trade so I became a peddler" - Lazarus Greenberg 1915
- answering Trolls is voluntary, my policy is not to participate.
Message 10 of 10
latest reply