Link to ebay policy re: shipping and changing prices AFTER auction closes

Hello:

I have searched ebay.ca and ebay.com for the ebay policy where it states that the seller cannot change the shipping price, from the one listed in the auction, after it closes.  Presumably it does say this somewhere. Could someone please send me the link as I would like to review this policy. I'd prefer the .com one but I would like to see both the .com and the .ca one if anybody knows both.

I did find a mention of it in an older thread but the information was no longer in the link provided.

Thank you very much.

Message 1 of 11
latest reply
10 REPLIES 10

The seller cannot raise the shipping price, but she can certainly change it. When a buyer makes multiple purchases, most sellers will combine and discount shipping.

And, with the buyer's permission, a seller can raise the shipping price to reflect a higher priced service, like Priority Post or shipping overseas.

If your seller appears to have raised the shipping price from the advertised cost for the service she advertised using to Canada, Report the seller to eBay.

If you just noticed that shipping will be through the Global Shipping Program, go back and read again. Her advertised shipping price is to the GPS plant in Kentucky. Once there the Program (run by PitneyBowes) charges Canadian duty and sales taxes plus a fee for trans-shipment to Canada. This is given on the listing a couple of lines below the seller's shipping price.

Message 2 of 11
latest reply

Your seller gives two shipping rates to Canada (presuming this is about the boot ornaments). $5 + for First Class International service and $28 + for Priority.

Contact the seller and note that you want the FCI . Help her by noting that FCI now includes Delivery Confirmation to Canada.

Message 3 of 11
latest reply

Yes, it is. Thank you. They are now wanting to charge me $7.50 shipping and they opened an up aid item case against me without sending me a message or anything first. Even though I sent them a message immediately after the auction close requesting an invoke with the correct (as listed in the auction) price...

Looks like I need to call ebay as my only options with this case are "pay" or "contact ebay" directly.

Thanks again

Message 4 of 11
latest reply

When there is a choice of shipping rates, the seller often makes it possible for the buyer to change the shipping rate to one she prefers. Have you tried that?

Do NOT hit Recalculate.

If it works, pay.

BTW- I really have my doubts about the authenticity of the purse, based in part on the seller's low feedback and in part on her sneakiness with the shipping price.

If you lose the case, the worst you have is a single Strike for non-payment. While as a seller I don't like saying this, it's not the end of the world. Two Strikes and many sellers will have you automatically Blocked, but one is a learning experience. (Shh, don't tell anyone I said that.)

And you won't have spent $999. for a fake purse.

Message 5 of 11
latest reply

Think you may have mixed up your posts here. They are trying to change the shipping price from the one listed in the auction. I have NO problem at all paying for the shipping price listed in the auction. However, in this case they are trying to jack that up now, AFTER the auction has closed. 

Not sure where the $999 purse came from but this is a $5 christmas ornament but I hear you about the unpaid item strike. Although, in this case I will be calling ebay tomorrow after the NY holiday. I just cannot see how they will possibly be allowed to do this.

Thanks.

Message 6 of 11
latest reply

Update: Spoke to ebay on the phone and my options are:

1) Do not pay and once the unpaid item claim closes, call them back and appeal the decision. Presumably I would stand a good chance of winning the appeal since he is clearly violating the shipping cost listed in the auction. However, I'm not sure what my feedback options would be in such a scenario, i.e. would I still be able to leave it, I don't know.

2) Pay for the item, with the increased shipping price, and leave feedback appropriate for such a transaction.

They did indicate they would message the Seller and indicate he should be honoring the terms of the agreement as detailed in the auction listing. However, obviously they cannot force him to do this. Having said that, I don't see why they can't adjust the invoice based on all of the information outlined in the auction listing. You'd think that would be buried in the mountains of small print, but I digress.

Thus, I have paid the increased total and requested the Seller issue me a refund for the difference but I'm not counting on getting it. Let's just hope the item actually shows up, intact.

Stay tuned...

Message 7 of 11
latest reply

I don't see why they can't adjust the invoice based on all of the information outlined in the auction listing.

EBay is a venue which provides advertisement of listed items and a method of billing customers.

They are not, or try not to be, the sellers. Sellers are responsible for their (our) own descriptions and shipping prices.

EBay cannot set the shipping price, or change it. Although I love selling here, I would be gone if they tried changing the shipping prices I need to cover my costs.

And I've actually done this once before. When eBaydotcom brought in the stupid $4.00 maximum shipping charge on media (books, CDs etc) I closed all 1500 of my listings and moved them to eBaydotCA where I can set my own shipping cost.

Message 8 of 11
latest reply

Femmefan 1946, I think you are misunderstanding what I'm saying and my situation.

My main issue aside, I am wondering why ebay/paypal cannot enforce the terms of the agreement, with respect to the shipping price, which was agreed upon by BOTH parties when I won the auction. The SELLER is now, after the fact, trying to jack up the shipping charges. I absolutely agree with you, as a seller myself (different account) that ebay shouldn't be telling me what I can charge for shipping etc. but that isn't what I'm suggesting.

Message 9 of 11
latest reply

Another update:

The SELLER has messaged me and said "while I appreciate your payment…..it seem see are at an impasse". Mmmm….lets see, I have now PAID your inflated shipping price and expect my item to be shipped forthwith. I don't see how that's an impasse. What I do see however, are the gears turning very slowly in their head as they FINALLY realize how this is likely going to turn out...

Message 10 of 11
latest reply

Update: The seller fully refunded my payment even though I din't ask them too. I asked them to send the item as I won the auction and paid their increased shipping price.

Message 11 of 11
latest reply